Your Day 1 Cardinals grade?

Day one Cardinal's grade?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Essentially got a second this year and a first next year.

And traded a 4 this year for a hopefully high 3rd next year.

I think Monti wanted to give up a pick this year for a pick in a better draft.
Not only that, but a year under his system.

Bidwill said that we weren’t making wholesale changes to our system (that hasn’t been updated since the 70s) until after this draft.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the draft had a Philly feel to it

1. They love drafting offensive lineman one year before they need them -- and it seems they always have a functional offensive line

2. They also like to move up and down and end up with more picks than they started with.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFLN is lauding the moves Monti made and calling them one of the big winners on day one. Monti playing chess and some posters here playing checkers. Getting the player you wanted all along while picking up a 1st and 3rd next year.

They also said you can't find a trade value chart that doesn't have the Cards getting a lot more value then the Texans. Texans GM response was that's okay, when you really want a player you pay the price you have to pay.

A+++

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
B-

We lost out on Anderson and got busted for tampering.

Got a potential high-end 2024 magic bean (along with a 3rd round) and traded up 'cheaply'.
That trade addressed the OL, and by default wasn't an LB. But the perceived quality is a notch below Anderson.

We can say in the end, that may turn out to be the #1 pick overall, and I hope it is, but it's ethereal. We're meant to trade based on what's real, now. What's real is it's a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no more, no less.

You don't buy a product and say, well this firmware update in the future will give you 20 percent better performance. Well maybe. Maybe it never comes.

If we are to acquire a magic bean, the Texans one is a very desirable one to have. But it's a complete crapshoot. Look at their schedule, it's very light for an AFC team. I was shocked actually.

In terms of 'trading', irrespective of the talent missed or acquired, I'd give him an A-. He got a decent haul going down and didn't pay much to go back up. Was aggressive. Got the guy he wanted. He had a plan and executed it.

The #1 rated OT and started a run at the position. Apparently, the guy he was thinking of taking at #3. Moving around and picking up picks for the guy you want is definitely a positive. Did so for the premium guy, not leftovers.

He loses a little by giving picks back which reduces the number of overall magic beans we got. Thus we shifted pick positions more than straight-adding picks (this year), and we need a bunch of players. Today we stand in the 3rd round 15 picks behind where we were yesterday, due to the tampering. If we don't go center in round 2 (current 33 or trade down), that 3rd was a prime spot for 2nd or 3rd best center.

Overall though, this is day 1, so we'll see what happens on day 2.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
B for me. Would rather have stayed at 12 and be making two picks today just outside round one. The trade with Texans will be fully appreciated next year. It was a game changing return.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm okay with not getting Will Anderson... Monti made sure he didn't end up in our division. He had to of known that how the Texans going

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
They must be counting the Rodgers trade for the Jets, because I thought Will McDonald was a reach at #15 given the other guys on the board. I know Rodgers has worked out with Corey Davis and Garrett Wilson is there, but I would have put money on Smith-Njigba at this spot.

I know Seattle is a trendy winner pick, and I like both of the players they got, but as I put in another thread I was really surprised they went with Witherspoon in the top 5 after drafting two really good CBs last year. If Witherspoon turns out to be all-pro then so be it, but I felt like Carter or Wilson would have filled a much bigger need with a premium prospect.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You guys know more about the draft than I do, but

1. it seems like we cleaned the Texan's clock in that trade.
2. There's no universe where Paris was still there at 12, and the trade to get back to six was a push.
3. We bolstered our OL which was in desperate need of young talent.

Kinda looks like MO made the most out of the opportunity presented.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose