Your 53 Man Arizona Cardinals Roster

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It's always fun this time of year to project our hopes as to how the 53 Man Roster is going to shape up. Here are the players I would select as of today. They are not necessarily the players I think the Cardinals will select:

QB (3): Palmer, Stanton, Thomas

I have to laud Carson Palmer for his commitment and his eagerness to get right back on the horse, as they say. Even though he went 6-0 as a starter last year, I think even he would say that there is ample room for improvement---for him and the offense in general. I am very curious to see how well Palmer will play behind a stronger offensive line and surrounded by an array of talent.

I've been questioning whether the Cardinals should see if they can get some trade value for Drew Stanton in this the last year of his contract---not just because of his salary, but because I didn't sense, by virtue of Arians' ultra-conservative play calling when Stanton was in the game that the coach really trusts Stanton. My hope this year is that if Stanton is called upon that the offense doesn't need a downshift.

As for Logan Thomas, in light of the fact that he was purposely not prepared to take any meaningful snaps last year, I am very hopeful that with the number of increased reps and pre-season snaps he will receive this year that he will show us why Bruce Arians felt he was deserving of a 4th round draft pick. Thomas has the physical package in spades---now can he adapt to the mental challenges of playing QB in Arians' system?

Next Man Up:

Chandler Harnish---if Thomas falters, Harnish may wind up being a fortuitous acquisition.

RB (4): Ellington, Johnson, Williams, Grice

I really like all four of these RBs, each for a different reason. What they all have in common is upside as receivers---which as we saw was one of the way the Patriots beat the Seahawks' defense by throwing to the RB. I think using Ellington in the slot could be dynamic for the Cardinals' offense.

Next Man Up:

Stepfan Taylor---I hate leaving him off because he's such a solid player and ST contributor, but I think Kerwynn Williams and Marion Grice are more talented and are better fits for Arians' offense.

WR (5): Fitzgerald, Floyd, John Brown, Jaron Brown, Nelson.

I think this group is pretty well set depending on whether J.J. Nelson can beat Brittan Golden out as the return man.

Next Man Up:

Brittan Golden---for now I have Nelson in front of Golden because of Nelson's 4.2 speed, but I was very impressed with Golden in the pre-season last year and feel that this could be a breakthrough year for him. While he doesn't have Nelson's blinding speed, he has good wiggle moves and an ample amount of speed himself.

TE (4): Niklas, Fells, Zach Miller*, Christian

John Carlson's retirement was not a surprise, based on his concussion history and his struggles last year. I like the size and athleticism of this group and feel that Zach Miller, if healthy, would be a nice fit to take Carlson's place. Niklas, Fells and Christian should be very interesting to watch as they develop.

Next Man Up:

Ifeanyi Momah---Having watched all of Momah's games at BC, I was impressed with how big a target he is, how well and naturally he catches the ball, and how sneaky he is at getting behind the coverage. He played WR at BC, so I don't know how able and willing a blocker he is as a TE---but knowing Momah's character I am sure he will give it everything he's got.

OL (8): Veldheer, Iupati, Shipley, Cooper, Humphries, Steen, Larsen, Crisp

I want D.J. Humphries to start from day one. Likely the toughest challenge will be picking up the playbook, but I imagine that Arians will have OT coach Larry Zierlein serve as Humphries' 24/7 tutor. It was great to see Humphries praise Zierlein and the trust they are already developing after one day of practice.

Thus, I would like to see Steve Keim trade Bobby Massie and get some value for him. It would be very surprising if Massie remains a Cardinal beyond this year anyway. Maybe the Cardinals could get an ILB, TE or 2016 draft pick in return.

The reason why I feel even more confident to deal Massie is the addition of T Rob Crisp. Crisp, imo, is a 3-4th round talent who dropped because of the concussion issue he had a couple of years ago, and is ideal at this point to be the swing tackle because he has the size, feet and athleticism to play LT in the NFL.

I think A.Q. Shipley is going to emerge as the starting center---and I think he's better than people think. I also believe that Anthony Steen will give Jonathan Cooper some heated competition at RG---plus, he can play center. The tough decision then is Ted Larsen or Earl Watford---and for now I will go with Larsen because I know Steve Keim is very comfortable with him as a swing C/G, whereas who knows where Watford stands right now.

Next Man Up:

Earl Watford---this year is make or break for him, but to date he has generated very little buzz from the coaches. He sure looks the part---but does he have the drive?

NT (2): Peters, Stinson

I think Corey Peters is going to be very good and active at the nose whenever James Bettcher uses an odd man front. The plan is to use Ed Stinson at NT some---and I get the sense that the coaches feel that several of the versatile DT/DEs on the roster like Frostee Rucker and Rodney Gunter can be used there in a pinch.

Next Man Up:

Xavier Williams---most likely is one of the 4 UDFAs SK said were in the team's top 130 of the draft. It should be very interesting to see what Williams brings to the table---he may have to spend a year on the PS and that's fine.

Alameda Ta'amu---if Ta'amu cuts his weight this year and returns to his 2013 form, he can make this roster. Let's see if he heeds Arians' wake-up call motivation..

DE (5): Campbell, Rucker, Redding, Gunter, Mauro

The talent, versatility and leadership (Campbell, Rucker and Redding) in this group is outstanding. Adding Gunter to this group makes it all the more imposing. Moreover, Corey Peters factors in here. So does Ed Stinson. And, I strongly believe that Josh Mauro has a very bright future in Arizona.

Next Man Up:

Matt Shaughnessy---as with Bobby Massie, the writing is on the wall for Shaughnessy, especially after he was told he would be switched from OLB into the deep DE group and after the Cardinals added Corey Peters and Cory Redding and drafted Rodney Gunter. Thus, as with Massie, Steve Keim may want to seek to fins some trade value in Shaughnessy.

ILB (4): Weatherspoon, Minter, Spikes*, Kirk

Weatherspoon is a fiery leader. I think that Steve Keim will sign an ILB come May 12 to challenge Kevin Minter. Brandon Spikes would be good in that two-down SILB role. And of the young ILBs, I think Andrae Kirk is going to emerge because of his range and good cover skills. If not, then Glenn Carson might stick---Carson improved last year as a rookie, but did not look very good in coverage.

Next Man Up:

Alani Fua---man, I'd love to see Bettcher groom Fua as a Dansby-esque WILB prospect. Fua has the length, feet, blitz and cover ability to be a 3 down factor. This should take a little time---but a year on the PS might be just what he needs.

OLB (6): Woodley, Okafor, *Freeney, Golden, Wagenmann, Riddick

Woodley and Okafor should start---but it would be great to add Dwight Freeney on May 12th as a situational edge rusher. Golden should fit in nicely behind Woodley and I love this kid Wagenmann's burst and bend around the edge, plus he should be a real factor on STs. I think Riddick will need some time before he's active on game days, but i think he gets the nod over Kareem Martin.

Next Man Up:

Kareem Martin---was very disappointed with him last year as he gets stood up too easily, gets locked up too quickly and doesn't keep his feet moving. Should be interesting too see what he can do off the edge, but right now he's going to have to outplay the new competition.

CB (4): Peterson, Powers, Bethel, Dennard

The addition of Lorenzo Dennard is big. This will put pressure on Justin Bethel to win the RCB job, which I believe he will, and it allows Jerraud Powers to continue to thrive as the nickel CB. Dennard is versatile so he will factor in and, imo, don't be surprised to see Patrick Peterson play some deep safety in the nickel this year, in addition to returning some punts in key situations.

Next Man Up:

Jimmy Legree---having seen a good deal of tape of him at South Carolina, I was impressed---he's a lot like Alfonzo Dennard as a matter of fact. Tough in press coverage and aggressive in run support. Was nice to see Arians laud Legree

S (4): Johnson, Bucannon, Mathieu, Jefferson.

Should be fun to see Bucannon start this year and to see the Honey Badger get back to his playmaking self. Johnson is coming off his best year (until late in the season where he broke down physically). And Jefferson remains a key role player.

Next Man Up:

Chris Clemons---he is good in coverage ad could well earn a spot again on the roster. The question may be whether he can be a factor on STs.

ST (3): Catanzaro, Leach, Zastudil

The kicking game has a chance to be stellar all the way around this year.

Next Man Up:

You!

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Agree with most of that Mitch, however, I think Taylor beats out Grice. Grice literally can't run the ball. His only value is catching the ball out of the backfield, which, the other 3 do very well - as does Taylor. But all of the others can also add value by running with the ball.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Agree with most of that Mitch, however, I think Taylor beats out Grice. Grice literally can't run the ball. His only value is catching the ball out of the backfield, which, the other 3 do very well - as does Taylor. But all of the others can also add value by running with the ball.

This

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I think Grice is going to surprise us this year. However, he will have to in order to surpass Taylor, I agree.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Taylor over Grice as he's better at pass protection and special teams.

Washington over Spikes because Washington isn't leaving the team and we aren't signing Spikes.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also believe Taylor makes it over Grice. Also believe Shaughnessy and Ta'amu make the team. Ta'amu is the only pure NT we have.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
kareem martin cut?

SK was on with Miller and Kerwin the other day. One of the players he was talking up was Martin. He said he was looking really good. The competition in camp this summer ought to be some of the best we have seen as cards fans in a very long time.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
Also believe Taylor makes it over Grice. Also believe Shaughnessy and Ta'amu make the team. Ta'amu is the only pure NT we have.

Shaughnessy being cut would be a pretty big surprise in my opinion as well. He had a good 2013 season, Injuries hurt him last year but he can play olb and de effectively so don't see him being cut.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Xavier Williams and Alameda Ta'amu look more like 3-4 NTs... I fear Peters and Stinson do not have the sand so to speak to clog the middle

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Ive said before and will say again, Taylor over grice easily. Best RB pass protector and a possible short yardage option.

We are in win now mode. That's not concussive to trading Massie and Shaugnessy, two VERY good backups (who have been solid starters) for a couple of future low round picks, in order to keep a couple of udfa from a weak draft class. Plus we could get similar comp picks for those players. Not a chance.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for a well considered and well discussed scenario for this upcoming season. I believe that it will be extremely hard to be really dead-on with settling on a final 53 this year. I am soooooo ready to watch the absolute massive competitions between players for positions this year. I fully expect there to be some real wars in the trenches this year for roster spots----the likes of which we have simply not seen here before. I am not sure that Larry Foote can make this roster even if he wants to become a player coach.

As you said---there almost necessarily will be SOME surprising moves made by the front office as they continue to churn this roster as things go along. Meanwhile, I am extremely anxious to watch just how BA & SK go about their imitation of Chuck Knoll as he set about rebuilding the 70's Steelers. I am right there with Cardfanfla in my expectations of watching our young players begin to win their spots all along this roster and justify the FO and Scouting Department in their choices along the way. This is where we should really begin to see those selections blossom and mature. I am stoked for a pre-season like none other before here in the desert? Nicely done summation Mitch.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SK was on with Miller and Kerwin the other day. One of the players he was talking up was Martin. He said he was looking really good. The competition in camp this summer ought to be some of the best we have seen as cards fans in a very long time.

thanks for info about martin
i thought he was more suited to play olb in our scheme
but arians mentioned last year martin could become the new calais considering his height and lenght ,but probably he lose his athleticism gaining weight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Ive said before and will say again, Taylor over grice easily. Best RB pass protector and a possible short yardage option.

We are in win now mode. That's not concussive to trading Massie and Shaugnessy, two VERY good backups (who have been solid starters) for a couple of future low round picks, in order to keep a couple of udfa from a weak draft class. Plus we could get similar comp picks for those players. Not a chance.

I think you guys are probably right about Taylor---however, I think Grice is going to be one of the surprises of camp.

I don't think the Cardinals will trade Massie---I think he will start at RT---which to me is a one year waste of Humphries' contract. You don't get good sitting on the bench. Plus, what are the odds that the Cardinals re-sign Massie? He does not appear to be in their future. However, I think your point is valid---except that I don't see Massie as a swing tackle because i don't think he can be effective on the left side, whereas I think Rob Crisp can be.

As for Shaughnessy, now that they have moved him to DE, I can't see how he is going to play in front of Campbell, Rucker, Redding, Stinson, Peters and Gunter....or Josh Mauro, for that matter. I think that there could be some trade value for him, so why not try to get something in return?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Interesting---because, if they were that high on Martin, why then did the Cardinals draft an OLB in Rounds 2 and 5? Plus, it would seem very likely that another veteran edge rusher will be signed, seeing as only Woodley and Okafor have NFL experience.

It could come down to Martin or Riddick. And my hunch is that Zach Wagenmann, if healthy, may outplay both of them.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks for another great thread. And, while it's much too early for me to have an opinion (educated) about our final roster, a couple of things seem probable:
1. With a couple of high ranked rookies going down with injuries, I don't see ANY way that Massie will be traded. DJ gives us nice depth for the tackle position.
2. Also, NO way imo that the team goes into the season with only eight DB's. Nine or ten is more likely. I believe we had ten, last year.
Again, thanks.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, thanks for another great thread. And, while it's much too early for me to have an opinion (educated) about our final roster, a couple of things seem probable:
1. With a couple of high ranked rookies going down with injuries, I don't see ANY way that Massie will be traded. DJ gives us nice depth for the tackle position.
2. Also, NO way imo that the team goes into the season with only eight DB's. Nine or ten is more likely. I believe we had ten, last year.
Again, thanks.

Garth---the reason why I think the Cardinals can go with 8 DBs is how versatile and interchangeable some of them are. Powers can play CB and nickel CB. Honey Badger can play CB and nickel CB and FS. Dennard can play S and nickel CB. Peterson can play CB and FS.

That said, i think the Cardinals will keep CBs Jimmy Legree and C.J. Roberts on the PS, if one of them doesn't make the team.

You know, I didn't even mention LB Lorenzo Alexander---I just don't see how the coaches can make room for him with the depth at OLB.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read Mitch, as always you think outside of the box which creates great discussions. Very clever use of the next man up mantra/culture which BA has truly created.

I don't see any team giving us even a 7th rd pick for Shaughnessy because teams seemingly under value vets. I agree the amount of competition at the DE position is amazing so even though Shaughnessy has played very well for us in the past his making the team is in doubt.

I agree Massie isn't a swing OT but DJ is and if Veldheer goes down then DJ swings over to LT and Massie remains/moves into the starting RT spot. He might garner more draft capital but again not near his worth to the team this year. Plus as someone else posted we should get a comp pick if BASK doesn't re-sign him next year.

I think Hughes has a chance to stick as a quasi FB/HB/short yardage back.

I agree with your not listing DWashout because he can't be counted. If he is cleared and isn't suspended for 8 or more games and doesn't screw up again then great, but I'm not betting on it either.

I'm a little concerned about the CB unit.

Same thing on the OLBer unit but I like that there are several candidates that add a good amount of hope.

TE's are a concern but with how BA utilizes the position it's not a glaring hole plus Niklas and Fells bring hope to the unit.

ILBer's is what terrifies me. Injury, Drugs and Busts, oh my.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good read Mitch, as always you think outside of the box which creates great discussions. Very clever use of the next man up mantra/culture which BA has truly created.

I don't see any team giving us even a 7th rd pick for Shaughnessy because teams seemingly under value vets. I agree the amount of competition at the DE position is amazing so even though Shaughnessy has played very well for us in the past his making the team is in doubt.

I agree Massie isn't a swing OT but DJ is and if Veldheer goes down then DJ swings over to LT and Massie remains/moves into the starting RT spot. He might garner more draft capital but again not near his worth to the team this year. Plus as someone else posted we should get a comp pick if BASK doesn't re-sign him next year.

I think Hughes has a chance to stick as a quasi FB/HB/short yardage back.

I agree with your not listing DWashout because he can't be counted. If he is cleared and isn't suspended for 8 or more games and doesn't screw up again then great, but I'm not betting on it either.

I'm a little concerned about the CB unit.

Same thing on the OLBer unit but I like that there are several candidates that add a good amount of hope.

TE's are a concern but with how BA utilizes the position it's not a glaring hole plus Niklas and Fells bring hope to the unit.

ILBer's is what terrifies me. Injury, Drugs and Busts, oh my.

I think it is more than likely that LB Larry Foote plays this season, especially after not drafting an ILB. I didn't list him yet because he's not on the current 90 man roster.

I thought a lot about Hughes, too, Cardiac, but BA had ample opportunity to use him last year and didn't use him much at all. He could have been a hammer RB the offense was missing---the one time they handed it to him from the RB position, he plowed upfield for 5 yards. But---it seems to me that BA isn't all that eager to use Taylor or Hughes, at least on a somewhat steady rate. Taylor is the better STs player.

In reality, I think Fitz is a flex TE in this offense. So he gets included.

As for the CBs, I think we are in good shape, especially if Bettcher uses Honey Badger at CB at times. If it were me, I would start him at RCB. He's, imo, the best and most fundamentally sound cover CB on the roster...with Jerraud Powers being the best cover nickel CB.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, the CB position has a high upside but there are still concerns IMO. If HB's knee is back to 100% then yes he is great. If Bethel (who I love) takes the next step then he will be an outstanding CB because he is incredibly physically gifted.

P2 should be playing at the level he proclaims to be on with his diabetes know under control.

Powers is an adequate #2 but a stud slot CB.

Thing is if Bethel and HB can't meet expectations then the unit goes from a strength to a liability.

Reaction score
I think it is more than likely that LB Larry Foote plays this season, especially after not drafting an ILB. I didn't list him yet because he's not on the current 90 man roster.

I thought a lot about Hughes, too, Cardiac, but BA had ample opportunity to use him last year and didn't use him much at all. He could have been a hammer RB the offense was missing---the one time they handed it to him from the RB position, he plowed upfield for 5 yards. But---it seems to me that BA isn't all that eager to use Taylor or Hughes, at least on a somewhat steady rate. Taylor is the better STs player.

In reality, I think Fitz is a flex TE in this offense. So he gets included.

As for the CBs, I think we are in good shape, especially if Bettcher uses Honey Badger at CB at times. If it were me, I would start him at RCB. He's, imo, the best and most fundamentally sound cover CB on the roster...with Jerraud Powers being the best cover nickel CB.

Mitch, this is a little off. 7 attempts with 11 yards. He did better receiving.

http://www.nfl.com/player/roberthughes/2530516/profile

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
OL (8): Veldheer, Iupati, Shipley, Cooper, Humphries, Steen, Larsen, Crisp

I want D.J. Humphries to start from day one. Likely the toughest challenge will be picking up the playbook, but I imagine that Arians will have OT coach Larry Zierlein serve as Humphries' 24/7 tutor. It was great to see Humphries praise Zierlein and the trust they are already developing after one day of practice.

Thus, I would like to see Steve Keim trade Bobby Massie and get some value for him. It would be very surprising if Massie remains a Cardinal beyond this year anyway. Maybe the Cardinals could get an ILB, TE or 2016 draft pick in return.

The reason why I feel even more confident to deal Massie is the addition of T Rob Crisp. Crisp, imo, is a 3-4th round talent who dropped because of the concussion issue he had a couple of years ago, and is ideal at this point to be the swing tackle because he has the size, feet and athleticism to play LT in the NFL.

I think A.Q. Shipley is going to emerge as the starting center---and I think he's better than people think. I also believe that Anthony Steen will give Jonathan Cooper some heated competition at RG---plus, he can play center. The tough decision then is Ted Larsen or Earl Watford---and for now I will go with Larsen because I know Steve Keim is very comfortable with him as a swing C/G, whereas who knows where Watford stands right now.

Next Man Up:

Earl Watford---this year is make or break for him, but to date he has generated very little buzz from the coaches. He sure looks the part---but does he have the drive?
You are forgetting Sowell in the mix as a swing tackle. Crisp would have to beat him out. And again with Steen?? With an overload of Gs and centers able to play guard I don't see him making it nor surpassing Watford.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard