YES!!!: Talks under way for Stoudemire extension

fordronken

Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=45601

Talks under way for Stoudemire extension
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
August 4, 2005
The Suns missed out on their opportunity to sign Joe Johnson last summer, something that ultimately set his impending departure to Atlanta in motion.
Related Links
Sports
Phoenix doesn't plan to make the same mistake with Amaré Stoudemire.

With exclusive negotiating rights this summer, the team has until Oct. 15 to sign Stoudemire to a five-year contract extension and has already started the process with its second-team All-NBA big man.

“(Talks with Stoudemire have) begun and we hope to end our business soon,'' Suns president Bryan Colangelo said Wednesday. “Nothing that we are doing (with Johnson or any other personnel move) has affected our discussions or the direction that we intend to go with Amaré.”

Stoudemire is set to make $2.59 million this season, but the Suns seek to sign him to a “max'' contract — one that would likely fall in the neighborhood of $90 million and give him one of the richest deals in franchise history.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Stoudemire is set to make $2.59 million this season, but the Suns seek to sign him to a “max'' contract — one that would likely fall in the neighborhood of $90 million and give him one of the richest deals in franchise history.

It better be a 6yr deal if it's for $90 mil.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
It better be a 6yr deal if it's for $90 mil.
I read earlier that it was going to be a five year deal, but I don't think the writer of the article has a clue the Suns can offer 6 year deals. One of the guys on AZCentral.com kept saying the Suns will have twelve guys on the team this year, and I kept emailing him CBA info, and articles spelling out the 13-14 man teams. He STILL kept saying how we needed to field 12 guys. :shrug: I wonder about these sports guys. Can't they do ANY research? :shrug:

No matter what happened this off season, I wanted Amare maxed out. Anything else is secondary at this point to me. :thumbup:

scotsman13

Reaction score
the suns can only offer a 5 year deal this year. the reason that is he already has a year under contract. the max time you can be under contract is 6 years for your own team.

sunsfn

Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
the suns can only offer a 5 year deal this year. the reason that is he already has a year under contract. the max time you can be under contract is 6 years for your own team.

That is not right, the suns can offer a 6 year contract now. He is under his rookie contract that has a year to go, and now they can offer him a new 6 year contract that starts in 2006-2006.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
That is not right, the suns can offer a 6 year contract now. He is under his rookie contract that has a year to go, and now they can offer him a new 6 year contract that starts in 2006-2006.

Nope. If he was an RFA than we could offer a 6 year deal.

Same thing happened under the old CBA. Marion was offered a 6 year, 79 million max contract after his 3rd season.

If we had waited a year the max would have been a 7 year deal.

sunsfn

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Nope. If he was an RFA than we could offer a 6 year deal.

Same thing happened under the old CBA. Marion was offered a 6 year, 79 million max contract after his 3rd season.

If we had waited a year the max would have been a 7 year deal.

You mean scotsman13 is actually right about the 6 year time.....:)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
SunsPride said:
Is there any chance he doesn't re-sign and tries FA?
Yeah there's a chance. Maybe bank on Atlanta getting their act together NEXT season if they can't for this upcoming season. I somehow think the odds are better for him taking a long term with us for the financial security, maybe with an out clause if the CBA allows that. :shrug:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i would leave no doubt: be like look its an absolute MAX and its FULLY FRONTLOADED. that way, nobody can offer anything even close to as good.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Amare can only get a 5 year deal this summer. Because he still has one more year left on his current deal it would be a CONTRACT EXTENSION not a normal contract. If they don't get an extension done this summer, next summer he will be a restricted free agent, and will be able to get a 6 year max contract. However, I've heard that he wants to do a 5 year extension with a player option after 3 years (the same as TMac in Orlando). That way, after year 3, he can opt out and sign with another team, ask for a S&T, or he can re-sign another 6 year deal with the Suns. If you think about the TMAc thing in Orlando, he had an opt out after 3. He didn't like what was going on in Orlando, so he told them to either do a S&T or he opts out and they lose him for nothing.

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jlove said:
However, I've heard that he wants to do a 5 year extension with a player option after 3 years (the same as TMac in Orlando). That way, after year 3, he can opt out and sign with another team, ask for a S&T, or he can re-sign another 6 year deal with the Suns. If you think about the TMAc thing in Orlando, he had an opt out after 3. He didn't like what was going on in Orlando, so he told them to either do a S&T or he opts out and they lose him for nothing.

That sounds like it would be the best type of contract for Amare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player