Yasmany Tomas arrested for reckless driving and criminal speeding

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I will waive back thanks (walking away from the flaming)

I've been making this commute for 16 years now... and I don't have enough fingers & toes to count the number of accidents I've witnessed, some deadly, caused by IDIOTS who speed... Salty? Whatever Chris... It's a STUPID mentality that has zero credence... as in NONE. You're free to think whatever way you wish... and you're free to drive however you so choose. But again, you will one day pay the piper, or worse, cause others to pay the price of your thinking/driving. And that sucks in my book...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, as a fellow driver on the streets, I would love for those who think going 25 mph over the speed limit while considering others @$$holes for doing otherwise to dispassionately reconsider their take on the situation. It's unsafe imho and really uncalled for, and when accompanied by anger or disdain for others is particularly so.

As even 82 admits, people go that speed all the time.

It's the flow of traffic. If it slows down. everyone slows down.

If people consciously choose to go slower or obstruct traffic by being in the left lanes...then yeah...********.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been making this commute for 16 years now... and I don't have enough fingers & toes to count the number of accidents I've witnessed, some deadly, caused by IDIOTS who speed... Salty? Whatever Chris... It's a STUPID mentality that has zero credence... as in NONE. You're free to think whatever way you wish... and you're free to drive however you so choose. But again, you will one day pay the piper, or worse, cause others to pay the price of your thinking/driving. And that sucks in my book...

Are you certain they are caused by speed? Maybe some but I bet most are caused by the tailgating and lane changing you mentioned.

I want no part of that.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As even 82 admits, people go that speed all the time.

It's the flow of traffic. If it slows down. everyone slows down.

If people consciously choose to go slower or obstruct traffic by being in the left lanes...then yeah...********.

I'd ask you to dispassionately reconsider your take. If you're not willing to do so, or if you find that you're still in the right, I've found there is little that can be said on a message board to change your (the collective your) mind. I just think safety should be the first consideration of drivers, and our definition of safe clearly differs in this instance.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you certain they are caused by speed? Maybe some but I bet most are caused by the tailgating and lane changing you mentioned.

I want no part of that.

Yes, the tailgating and lane-changing are far more dangerous. I will give you that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I want no part of that.

Virtually every accident I have witnessed was caused by someone speeding - as they were changing lanes/cut someone off, or tailgating. There is no distinction to be made. And honestly, FWIW, as someone who now has a child (YOU), you might want to reconsider your position here...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Virtually every accident I have witnessed was caused by someone speeding - as they were changing lanes/cut someone off, or tailgating. There is no distinction to be made. And honestly, FWIW, as someone who now has a child (YOU), you might want to reconsider your position here...

I RARELY get on the freeway with the kid and if I do it's right lane the whole way.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ask you to dispassionately reconsider your take. If you're not willing to do so, or if you find that you're still in the right, I've found there is little that can be said on a message board to change your (the collective your) mind. I just think safety should be the first consideration of drivers, and our definition of safe clearly differs in this instance.

Man I am 46 and have driven in Arizona for 30 years. I am going to go with the flow of traffic if I am outside of the right lane...and pretty much think poorly of people who go slow in the left.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And since I am going with the flow of traffic that means nothing

From the article about the man who was arrested:

"Arizona law states that a driver can be arrested for exceeding 35 mph near a school zone, 20 mph over the given speed limit or going faster than 85 mph on any road.

The maximum sentence for a criminal speeding charge — a Class 3 misdemeanor — in the state is up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500."

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a disappointing response.

Look, in my opinion, people who don't go with the flow of traffic, whether fast or slow, encourage reactions.

Those reactions can be things like tailgating and changing lanes. Road rage. You name it.

In my opinion, going with the flow of traffic is safer for everyone than intentionally disrupting traffic.

That isn't changing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the article about the man who was arrested:

"Arizona law states that a driver can be arrested for exceeding 35 mph near a school zone, 20 mph over the given speed limit or going faster than 85 mph on any road.

The maximum sentence for a criminal speeding charge — a Class 3 misdemeanor — in the state is up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500."

And I have never seen anyone ticketed for going with the flow of traffic. This is a big circle

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And I have never seen anyone ticketed for going with the flow of traffic. This is a big circle

I predicted you wouldn't change your mind and don't expect you to do so. It's not human nature, and it's certainly not in line with current trends. I merely post my opinion for other people who are reading who might be somewhere in between our lines of thinking. Others can judge who is in the right, and I can respect other people's right to their opinions.

For the record, I think the opinions you have expressed on this thread are a destructive mentality shared by a large number of well-intentioned people who are putting themselves and others in constant danger.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I RARELY get on the freeway with the kid and if I do it's right lane the whole way.
I'm trying to understand your point of view, Chris, and I know that being in the flow of traffic is the safest way to drive. We all know that the majority exceed the speed limit, but going 90 or 105 in a 65 mph zone is extreme.

One thing I never understood is the need for "Children on board" stickers. Or, with all due respect, your comment about driving slower with kids in your car.

I raised two sons and love them dearly. But what is the rationale for driving less than 90 because you have kids in your car but not when there might be kids in cars near you?

Isn't all life precious? Why would you distinguish between age groups to determine how safely you drive? The fact that you slow down only when kids are in your car makes no sense.

And it shows that you understand excesses, but pick and choose when to use them. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. Driving 90 or 105 mph is not the norm. Those who do put themselves and the drivers around them more at risk.

Once upon a time, there was an unwritten rule on highways. It's OK to go 9 mph over the speed limit. But 25 or 35? That is extreme and unsafe.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand your point of view, Chris, and I know that being in the flow of traffic is the safest way to drive. We all know that the majority exceed the speed limit, but going 90 or 105 in a 65 mph zone is extreme.

One thing I never understood is the need for "Children on board" stickers. Or, with all due respect, your comment about driving slower with kids in your car.

I raised two sons and love them dearly. But what is the rationale for driving less than 90 because you have kids in your car but not when there might be kids in cars near you?

Isn't all life precious? Why would you distinguish between age groups to determine how safely you drive? The fact that you slow down only when kids are in your car makes no sense.

And it shows that you understand excesses, but pick and choose when to use them. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. Driving 90 or 105 mph is not the norm. Those who do put themselves and the drivers around them more at risk.

Once upon a time, there was an unwritten rule on highways. It's OK to go 9 mph over the speed limit. But 25 or 35? That is extreme and unsafe.

Okay....this thread has been incredibly highjacked into "Lets judge how Chris drives on the internet" but sure I will try to explain again. Last time though. I won't be responding to any more points beyond this.

In my stretch of the road you have the the left 2 lanes which go very fast. Much faster than 80. The right 2 lanes are where everyone clusters to get onto the 202.

My typical exit is after the 202 so I will stay in the right most left lane and go with the flow of traffic. I am rarely looking at my speedometer while doing so. When I do glance down I am frequently surprised by how fast the flow of traffic is but I have become accustomed to it. To me, it isn't a big deal.

If traffic speeds up I go with it, if it slows down, I slow down. The farthest left lane is routinely exceeding even my lanes speed.

While my lane is actually the moderate speed lane, it is also the lane that people dart in and out of to either jump to the fastest lane or to get into the 202 smash zone.

So this is how 82 decribes the 101 and I agree with him to an extent. My typical lane requires a high amount of focus and yes a certain amount of risk. The one thing that can really be dangerous is someone not cooperating with the group. Someone say doing 65 in the far left lane causes multiple people to change lanes.

This is where you cannot be distracted and have to constantly be watching all the drivers around you and give ample space between the car in front of you.

Now if I have the child with me, I will naturally be splitting my attention. I am not comfortable being in the lane where a high amount of switches happen with her. So I stay in the far right lane.

Plus my wife has asked me to stay in the right lane with the baby so ultimately I am going to do what she says.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

I've hit 80-85 a few times only because apparently going even 10 MPH above the speed limit is too slow for everyone else.

So instead of getting ran into as people try to pass me going 85+, I just try to stick with the flow of traffic when necessary. This is part of the reason why I hate driving on the freeway.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

yup, any traffic class or LE traffic class will open anyone's eyes to this. never think it'll happen to you until it does. my biggest fear is driving like that and permanently effecting someone else's life. i preach that to my younger siblings all the time, that's not a guilt i want over my head. 90 is not the flow of traffic anywhere on the 101, it's a few cars.

that being said, for me 75 is comfortable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard