Yasmany Tomas arrested for reckless driving and criminal speeding

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://ktar.com/story/1908963/arizo...y-tomas-arrested-in-valley/?nid=6&sid=1289944

Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Yasmany Tomas was arrested Thursday morning for going more than 100 mph on a Valley freeway, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.

Tomas was allegedly driving 105 mph on the northbound Loop 101. He was pulled over at 9:26 a.m. near Baseline Road on the border of Tempe and Mesa.

He was not impaired.

Tomas was charged with reckless driving and criminal speeding.

He was booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail and the 2015 Mercedes he was driving was impounded.

Arizona law states that a driver can be arrested for exceeding 35 mph near a school zone, 20 mph over the given speed limit or going faster than 85 mph on any road.

The maximum sentence for a criminal speeding charge — a Class 3 misdemeanor — in the state is up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500.

The guilty person’s license could also be suspended.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, it was the 101 after all. 90+ is not uncommon now that the cameras are gone.

I'm surprised they booked him though unless he was truly being reckless. That time of the morning most rush hour traffic has died down, but there's still a fair amount on it.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, it was the 101 after all. 90+ is not uncommon now that the cameras are gone.

I'm surprised they booked him though unless he was truly being reckless. That time of the morning most rush hour traffic has died down, but there's still a fair amount on it.
Indeed. It’s a huge problem.
I’m happy he wasn’t under the influence of anything other than being dumb enough to drive that fast.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
One of the few big leaguers that can drive his batting average in a car.

Sent from the International Space Station using Tapatalk

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Up here in the Flagstaff area, troopers arrest all the time for those kinds of speeds (or at least did when I worked in the office).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome, really needed you to lower your value more... well done big fella.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hit 90 on the 101 all the time.
Is the speed limit on that stretch 55 or 65? I think it's 55. So Yasmani was going almost double the limit. A bit extreme, wouldn't you say?

You hit 90 all the time? On a freeway two miles east of Scottsdale Road. With a good amount of enter and exit traffic. That's extreme, too.

I drive about about 10-15 mph over the limit, which is necessary to fit into the flow of traffic. 90 or 105 is unsafe within city limits. Think about it, Chris.

Of course, in Yasmani's case, his complete lack of discretion ties in with never getting the hang of the common sense needed to be a ballplayer worthy of his extreme salary.

We can thank the Diamondbacks for making him think he is invincible.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the speed limit on that stretch 55 or 65? I think it's 55. So Yasmani was going almost double the limit. A bit extreme, wouldn't you say?

You hit 90 all the time? On a freeway two miles east of Scottsdale Road. With a good amount of enter and exit traffic. That's extreme, too.

I drive about about 10-15 mph over the limit, which is necessary to fit into the flow of traffic. 90 or 105 is unsafe within city limits. Think about it, Chris.

Of course, in Yasmani's case, his complete lack of discretion ties in with never getting the hang of the common sense needed to be a ballplayer worthy of his extreme salary.

We can thank the Diamondbacks for making him think he is invincible.

65 but again no one drives that speed. I get passed at 85 all the time.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nope just going with the flow of traffic. If you don't drive it every day you wouldn't understand.

I drive the 101 and the 51 30 miles to work and back every day. I drive - comfortably, at 80 MPH with no troubles. And I always see idiots doing 90 or better, cutting people off, riding on other drivers rear-ends... It's a STUPID mentality and 100% needless...
But again, if it makes you feel like a "man," to speed - go for it... You will of course pay the price one day, either directly or indirectly... I just hope it's not the ultimate price...

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone who drives slower than me is a moron. Anyone who drives faster is an idiot. LOL. I think we all think like this.
But 80 or above? Sorry - bring back the cameras. Cash grab or otherwise - please slow down. Just because an “idiot” passes you or gets in front of you shouldn’t piss you off.
5 minutes ain’t gonna change your life.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive the 101 and the 51 30 miles to work and back every day. I drive - comfortably, at 80 MPH with no troubles. And I always see idiots doing 90 or better, cutting people off, riding on other drivers rear-ends... It's a STUPID mentality and 100% needless...
But again, if it makes you feel like a "man," to speed - go for it... You will of course pay the price one day, either directly or indirectly... I just hope it's not the ultimate price...

Well...there are a ball of assumptions in here.

#1. I never tailgate or cut people off. People have guns here. Not interested in getting shot.

#2. I drive comfortably in the middle lane and rarely switch, unless someone not going with the flow of traffic doesn't understand that slower traffic goes to the right. Then I go around them and move back. I am usually dead center of the flow of traffic. People going faster than me aren't "Idiots". They are people going faster than I chose to.

#3. I feel no more like a "Man" for driving faster than the person to my right than you feel like "not a man" for going slower than the person to your left.

Now for non assumptions...

Call me stupid or an idiot again. I have tolerated your flame baiting to this point.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who drives slower than me is a moron. Anyone who drives faster is an idiot. LOL. I think we all think like this.
But 80 or above? Sorry - bring back the cameras. Cash grab or otherwise - please slow down. Just because an “idiot” passes you or gets in front of you shouldn’t piss you off.
5 minutes ain’t gonna change your life.

Eh if everyone else was going slow I would do. I don't speed on city streets. Cameras are really bad. Everyone slams on their brakes and then goes even faster afterwards.

I don't think you are an idiot if you go slow and you aren't in the center lane. I think you have made a conscious decision impede everyone else and thus an cornholio

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Ag, the everybody else is doing it defense. I get in the middle lane and go about 70. If I get a late start I spend more time going 7.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well...there are a ball of assumptions in here.

#1. I never tailgate or cut people off. People have guns here. Not interested in getting shot.

#2. I drive comfortably in the middle lane and rarely switch, unless someone not going with the flow of traffic doesn't understand that slower traffic goes to the right. Then I go around them and move back. I am usually dead center of the flow of traffic. People going faster than me aren't "Idiots". They are people going faster than I chose to.

#3. I feel no more like a "Man" for driving faster than the person to my right than you feel like "not a man" for going slower than the person to your left.

Now for non assumptions...

Call me stupid or an idiot again. I have tolerated your flame baiting to this point.

I think anyone who claims to routinely drive 90, and proclaims that anyone who doesn't exceed 80 shouldn't be on the highway, is a danger to society... I guess I'll leave it up to others to assess whether or not that makes that person an idiot... I've made my feelings on that topic known.
I'll wave at you as you fly by me while I'm doing 80... :rolleyes:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ag, the everybody else is doing it defense. I get in the middle lane and go about 70. If I get a late start I spend more time going 7.

I have the luxury of not being constrained by being late.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think anyone who claims to routinely drive 90, and proclaims that anyone who doesn't exceed 80 shouldn't be on the highway, is a danger to society... I guess I'll leave it up to others to assess whether or not that makes that person an idiot... I've made my feelings on that topic known.
I'll wave at you as you fly by me while I'm doing 80... :rolleyes:

I will waive back thanks (walking away from the flaming)

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With all due respect, as a fellow driver on the streets, I would love for those who think going 25 mph over the speed limit while considering others @$$holes for doing otherwise to dispassionately reconsider their take on the situation. It's unsafe imho and really uncalled for, and when accompanied by anger or disdain for others is particularly so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson