Yao will miss All-Star game

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4468124.htmlDoes that meanthat the head coach picks who starts from who is voted in, then selects an extra player-- or that whoever is second in voting gets voted in?

If either of them are true, it sounds like either Marion or Stoudemire are in.
If Amare is still the second leading vote getter for the Center position, with Yao not participating, Amare will be the starting Center, won't he?

And another spot open on the roster gives Marion a good chance to make the team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that Amare would be the only starting Center from the Suns in their 35+ year history. And perhaps the only Center voted to the squad, other than Alvan Adams rookie year, when he played 11 minutes, getting 4 points and 3 rebounds.

Adams never made the all-star team again, because he never had a season as good as his rookie year when, as an undersized 212 lb. Center, he was a novelty.

Had he been moved to Forward, with his outside shooting, rebounding and passing ability, he would have had a more lucrative career. But his college and Suns coach -- John MacLeod -- was set in his ways. Alot of good Suns Forwards over the years had an uphill fight having to cover Center for the Center.

Congratulations to Amare for upgrading the Suns.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that Amare would be the only starting Center from the Suns in their 35+ year history. And perhaps the only Center voted to the squad, other than Alvan Adams rookie year, when he played 11 minutes, getting 4 points and 3 rebounds.

James Edwards got robbed in '86 when averaged ~ 16/6 in a weak Western Conference lineup behind Kareem. He should've been on that team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Through some kind of loophole, Dirk Nowitzki will almost certainly be the 5th starter, leaving Tim Duncan to start at "center".

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Through some kind of loophole, Dirk Nowitzki will almost certainly be the 5th starter, leaving Tim Duncan to start at "center".

Actually, that would make sense. On the bright side of that scenario, Shawn would get in then.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I vaguely remember that Stern picks replacement starters in scenario's like these. It would make the most sense to have Nowitzki in as a starter but does he have to adhere to the positional rules?

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
yep

I think we can all agree that Dirk deserves to star over Amare, but that does mean that Amare and/or Marion will be on the roster. It's always nice for me to see Nash and Nowitzki to run the two man game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that Dirk deserves to star over Amare

At what position? Yao's injury creates a void at center. Stoudemire is more of a center than Nowitzki is. If Duncan is voted in by the fans to start at forward, he starts at forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player