Yao gets max deal

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2147660

Yao Ming gets max deal from Rockets
Bucher
By Ric Bucher
ESPN The Magazine

The Houston Rockets will announce Thursday that they've signed two-time All-Star center Yao Ming to a five-year extension, thereby securing his services through the 2010-11 season, a source close to the negotiations confirmed early Wednesday morning.

Yao Ming
Surprised? Nah, Yao was just wondering what took so long.

That this comes without drama or shock value -- not even for the Lakers -- is further proof that Yao simply isn't cutting it as your standard-issue NBA superstar. Under the next collective bargaining agreement, the value of the contract, which doesn't kick in until next season, will be 25 percent of whatever the salary cap is. Estimates have the deal starting at $12.5 million. What the Rockets have to wonder is if he'll ever start acting like someone pulling down that kind of coin.

Didn't he read the manual? Doesn't he know this was his chance to hold the franchise hostage and make sure everyone in Dubya's stomping grounds danced to Yao's xiao*? To induce GMs around the league to prostrate themselves before his size 18s and shower him with gifts and expound on how magnificent he would look in their uniform? (Heck, even Tim Duncan went the sampler route.)

To inspire media and fans to speculate and chatter and raise a general ruckus about where he should go and why? (Several sources say Lakers' rising exec Jim Buss -- son of owner Dr. Jerry Buss -- thought he could lure Yao to L.A. but is now targeting LeBron James.)

Yao could've been the center of attention for at least a month, if not an entire year, had he played out his option -- and, instead, he does this. Quietly negotiates a max extension. Quietly arranges to fly back from China to attend a press conference. Quietly hitches his wagon to a franchise and a market that, quite frankly, are not big enough to fully exploit his worldwide drawing power.

I understand now why his rookie-year teammates celebrated when he finally unleashed his first post-dunk, T-drawing primal scream. The dude simply refuses to see that being focused on winning and making his teammates better and honoring his country and respecting his elders and trying, despite his wealth and fame and privilege, to embody that whole Rudyard Kipling poem thing is just -- well, damn it, it's just not the NBA way.

Here's how it's done: Keep a check list of grievances and see this as the perfect time for full-bore payback. Poke fun at those who tagged him a bust before his first NBA game. Steal the spotlight from those who insinuated his All-Star starts are bogus because he comes from a country of 1.3 billion people (As if that's something he should be sorry for, especially considering a billion are not believed to have Internet access.) Drop hints about how honored he'd be to follow in the purple-and-gold pivots of Kareem, Wilt and Shaq. That might've even induced Phil Jackson to say how much better suited Yao is for the triangle offense than the Diesel. Or how much New York reminds him of his native Shanghai. Or how he might just have to leave the league entirely if the referees don't start cutting him a little more slack.

Re-signing without milking the moment for all its worth -- to him, at everyone else's expense -- wasn't his only offseason violation. Rather than delaying his ankle surgery, thereby allowing him to miss part or all of training camp and provide himself a built-in excuse for playing his way into shape, he had it done early in the summer. Then he hired a personal trainer to keep working on his upper body while his ankle healed. Then he bought a $3,000 portable ice-electric stimulation contraption so he could still meet his Basketball Without Borders obligations in Beijing in mid-July while treating his ankle in his downtime.

How Yao reached his decision to stay in Houston is almost as bad. First he weighed if any place could give him a better chance of winning a championship. Then he considered how much he enjoyed playing last season with newly acquired Tracy McGrady. Then he remembered how Houston, its franchise and its people, embraced him as much for who he is as who they hope he will be. How GM Carroll Dawson announced Yao was going to be the No. 1 pick and never wavered in the face of withering skepticism. How the team, from the 12th man to the coaching staff, have been remodeled to exploit his strengths and compensate for his weaknesses.

Yao even concluded that for all his wisecracks about the traffic and sprawl and cowpie-kickin' attitude, Houston really isn't all that bad as an adopted home.

All of which he may or may not mention Thursday. If he feels in any way he might be overstating his place in the Rockets' universe -- as he sees it -- he'll stick to thanking the franchise for believing in him and promising to do his best to live up to their commitment and expectations and then throw in a self-deprecating crack. Something about looking like coach Jeff Van Gundy in six years. Or having enough time now to see Shaq retire. Or having the money to build a private freeway to and from the Toyota Center.

The guy just doesn't get it. It's quite a burden for the rest of us to carry, but let's hope he never does.

*Vertical Chinese flute.

Ric Bucher covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine and collaborated with Rockets center Yao Ming on "Yao: A Life in Two Worlds."

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Oh man you all know what this means.........

"LAKERS TARGETING STOUDAMIRE FOR 07" articles will be coming out like its out of style.

Memo to Sarver: LOCK THE KID UP!

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
hey if we lose amare at least the board can take solice in that we overpaid for Kurt Thomas.

I can't wait to see the posts losing amare is not that big of a deal.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Actually this article says something about the Buss fellowship going after LeBron James instead. Yeah. That'll make Kobe real comfortable.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
hey if we lose amare at least the board can take solice in that we overpaid for Kurt Thomas.

Sacrelige!

Bitter about Joe, squid?

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Treesquid said:

Gimme a break.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:

:violin: :lame:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So lemme get this straight, a post about Yao getting a max deal turns into an overreacting thread about Amare going to the Lakers?

Maybe you should get some coffee or something, Treesquid, you're not thinking very clearly.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
So lemme get this straight, a post about Yao getting a max deal turns into an overreacting thread about Amare going to the Lakers?

Maybe you should get some coffee or something, Treesquid, you're not thinking very clearly.

no just an opputunity to rip sarver, I am impatient and I don't trust the guy. wasn't his deal supposed to be one of these top priorities?

I don't drink coffee but I am on my 4th Mountain Dew

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
no just an opputunity to rip sarver, I am impatient and I don't trust the guy. wasn't his deal supposed to be one of these top priorities?

I don't drink coffee but I am on my 4th Mountain Dew

the Phoenix Suns don't lock up Amare Stoudemire this summer it won't be because Sarver didn't do everything in his power. It's been rumored that Amare is seeking a player option after the third year of his extension. It sounds like a good move for him, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Suns have to eventually cave and give it to him.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually this article says something about the Buss fellowship going after LeBron James instead. Yeah. That'll make Kobe real comfortable.

Bryant will have been traded by then.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's been rumored that Amare is seeking a player option after the third year of his extension. It sounds like a good move for him, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Suns have to eventually cave and give it to him.

In this case, I think that "eventually" should happen sooner rather than later. There's no question that, barring catastrophic injury, Stoudemire will be worth a maximum contract, and that virtually every team in the league will figure out a way to go after him if he becomes a free agent. I supported being cautious with Joe Johnson, even though that turns out to have backfired. But the only sane choice now is to get the extension locked in as quickly as possible.

If that means giving him an opt-out in the summer of 2009, then so be it. If the Suns can't convince Stoudemire in four years that they have a winning future, maybe they don't deserve to keep him.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
truth hurts.

It does.

However, unfounded negative speculation would be more irritating than painful. Unless it continues over a long period of time, then it is painful in a chinese water torture kind of way.;) :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are lots of good reasons to close the deal this summer, but fear of losing Amare is not one of them. This is not a JJ situation where the calculation is messed up by a stupid team willing to overpay. Amare is not going to get overpaid because he's worth the absolute max.

My guess it that the only issue being discussed is the timing of the player option. Rumor is that his agent is asking for three years and I'm guessing the Suns want at least one more year. My guess is that they will end up with fourth year option, but a more front loaded contract.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Fear of losing Amare is certainly 1. The longer he waits without an extension, presumably the less he feels "wanted" here, and the less time there is till he can take a 1 year tender.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyone else think that the Rockets overpaid?

Not me. In spite of his flaws, Yao is the #2 center in the game, and the only one who will still be around in a few years.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Fear of losing Amare is certainly 1. The longer he waits without an extension, presumably the less he feels "wanted" here, and the less time there is till he can take a 1 year tender.

He knows he's wanted. He was offered the max from the very beginning. Waiting has to do with whatever scenarios he's working out on his side.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I think they did. He just isn't that good. Is he the # 2 center in the league? Probably, but he's a long ways away from being # 1. The problem, IMO, is that for some reason or another the Center position is probably the weakest it's ever been. There aren't a lot of talented centers anymore. If David Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing and Mutombo were still in their prime I'd take any of them before Yao.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Not me. In spite of his flaws, Yao is the #2 center in the game, and the only one who will still be around in a few years.

I don't know, being the #2 center in the league is a lot like being the #2 cashier at McDonalds. :biglaugh:

scotsman13

Reaction score
elindholm said:

no yao isnt the number 2 center in the game. the number 2 center in the game is a power forward that played center last year by the name of Amare. take a look at the all nba ranks. yoa didnt even make the 3rd team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player