Yao gets max deal

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Amare will be listed at center and KT at PF. It makes no difference on the floor, but makes a huge difference in the All Star Team balloting. Amare might not be able to overcome the international Chinese vote, but he should dominate within the US.

simply_amare

Rookie
Reaction score
I believe Yao isn't overpaid. Let's face it, the Chinese Government gets I believe about 50% of his pay and add up US taxes. What's left for him? Feel free to correct me on this. ;)

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I think Amare will be listed at center and KT at PF. It makes no difference on the floor, but makes a huge difference in the All Star Team balloting. Amare might not be able to overcome the international Chinese vote, but he should dominate within the US.

Which is one reason why fan voting should only account for a small percentage when all-star starters are named. There is obviously a large bias in favor of Yao, but he obviously shouldn't have started in front of Shaq two years ago, and over Amare last season . Does anybody else have a problem with this?

simply_amare

Rookie
Reaction score
I do have a problem with that all-star balloting. I agree with everything you say Sactown. But the sad thing is, 1 billion people accross the ocean loved it. ;)
Just look at Steve Francis, he obviously was voted to an all-star(west) slot because he was Yao's teammate and this past all-star balloting he couldn't get a vote to save his life.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
It's been rumored that Amare is seeking a player option after the third year of his extension. It sounds like a good move for him, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Suns have to eventually cave and give it to him.

In this case, I think that "eventually" should happen sooner rather than later. There's no question that, barring catastrophic injury, Stoudemire will be worth a maximum contract, and that virtually every team in the league will figure out a way to go after him if he becomes a free agent. I supported being cautious with Joe Johnson, even though that turns out to have backfired. But the only sane choice now is to get the extension locked in as quickly as possible.

If that means giving him an opt-out in the summer of 2009, then so be it. If the Suns can't convince Stoudemire in four years that they have a winning future, maybe they don't deserve to keep him.

I agree. Get it done now. The last thing the Phoenix Suns want or need is Amare Stoudemire upset about his contract situation. Furthermore I don't see anything changing next summer when he is a restricted free agent except for the worse. If he gets signed to an offer sheet that offer sheet will almost certainly have a player option after three years. He's going to get what he wants. Why give him the chance to get wined and dined by another team like the Lakers, so he can ask the Phoenix Suns not to re-sign him? Even though the Phoenix Suns would never let him go that would be a very bad situation.

I simply do not see the upside in waiting. It's just asking for problems.

elindholm said:
Anyone else think that the Rockets overpaid?

Not me. In spite of his flaws, Yao is the #2 center in the game, and the only one who will still be around in a few years.

I agree with Chaplin that there is a significant drop from the #1 center in the NBA (obviously Shaquille O'Neal) to Yao Ming. Even though he is somewhat soft there's no doubt in my mind that his value to a team is in the maximum contract range. He still has plenty of upside as well.

simply_amare said:
I do have a problem with that all-star balloting. I agree with everything you say Sactown. But the sad thing is, 1 billion people accross the ocean loved it. ;)
Just look at Steve Francis, he obviously was voted to an all-star(west) slot because he was Yao's teammate and this past all-star balloting he couldn't get a vote to save his life.

I don't know about last year, but I believe the year before it was well established that the Chinese (overseas online voting) influence really did not change the starting lineup in the All-Star game.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know about last year, but I believe the year before it was well established that the Chinese (overseas online voting) influence really did not change the starting lineup in the All-Star game.

And even if it did, so what? Americans vote irrationally for their favorite players too. Wasn't it two years ago that Grant Hill was voted a starter without having played? I don't think the Chinese were responsible for that.

All-Star voting is a bogus waste of time, no matter which countries are involved.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
elindholm said:

And even if it did, so what? Americans vote irrationally for their favorite players too. Wasn't it two years ago that Grant Hill was voted a starter without having played? I don't think the Chinese were responsible for that.

All-Star voting is a bogus waste of time, no matter which countries are involved.

I'm in favor of spliting the all-star voting this way:

Starters
Fan Voting: 1/3
Coaches and GMs: 1/3
Media: 1/3

Reserves
Fan Voting: 1/2
Coaches and GMs: 1/4
Media: 1/4

This would still have the fans involved, but the status of being an all-star would have much more credence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player