Yankees/Marlins

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should Jack McKeon start Beckett on 3 days rest or go with Willis holding Beckett for Game 7?

Numbers seem to show it wouldn't be a successful move...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is somehow magically go to 7 games....funny how that happens for the networks

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Numbers seem to show it wouldn't be a successful move...
What numbers?

People made exactly the SAME argument when Curt Schilling went on 3 days rest twice in the 2001 World Series. Although he didn't get the decision in either one, he pitched well enough to get the victory.

What numbers on Beckett? Seems that he pitched pretty well during the Cubs series over four innings with only TWO days rest... When else has he pitched on short rest this year?

The World Series stage changes what pitchers are actually capable of... In the "old" days (the 60's and before), the usual amount of rest between starts was three days... and there are numerous examples of pitchers coming back with much less rest.

Beckett IS a warrior with the same kind of spirit that you find in both Curt and Randy... As always there's no guarantee of success, but gotta see how this plays out, and McKeon seems to have a good handle on his staff.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was somethig I read last night. It may not apply to Beckett but it sure seems like the odds are against it. Read the entire article and I didn't follow the Marlins close enough to know Beckett had a gimpy elbow earlier in the year.

McKeon, however, knows that modern starting pitchers are handled as delicately as racehorses, conditioned to pitch every fifth day. It's no coincidence that in the last five postseasons, starting pitchers are 5-17 with a 6.30 ERA on three days rest.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1780106

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Soundbite from McKeon

"If we had Bob Gibson pitching on three days rest, would anyone question us? That's the way we feel about Josh Beckett."

Once again, if it works... the manager is a "genius"... and if it doesn't, then fans can gnash their teeth and dream for generations about what coulda been. Gotta look forward to whatever happens--hoping that the series ends today!!!

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
This is somehow magically go to 7 games....funny how that happens for the networks

If this magically goes to a game 7 wouldn't that also be good for the fan too? Seems to me that a baseball fan would want to see the best baseballhe/she possibly could :confused:

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
If this magically goes to a game 7 wouldn't that also be good for the fan too? Seems to me that a baseball fan would want to see the best baseballhe/she possibly could :confused:
"Best" isn't necessarily measured in QUANTITY of games... This game 6 pitched by Beckett at Yankee Stadium now approaches legendary proportions.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by moviegeekjn
Soundbite from McKeon

"If we had Bob Gibson pitching on three days rest, would anyone question us? That's the way we feel about Josh Beckett."

Once again, if it works... the manager is a "genius"... and if it doesn't, then fans can gnash their teeth and dream for generations about what coulda been. Gotta look forward to whatever happens--hoping that the series ends today!!!

McKeon is a genius :D

Man, Beckett did better than I imagined he could. He was on his game from the first pitch. I wasn't sold on pitching Beckett in Game 6 but rather holding him for Game 7. Glad I was wrong.

Congrats to the Marlins!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard