Xmas is Coming and Which Blue-Ray

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I was trying to say is I am in the market for a Blueray player for Xmas.

I don't want a PS2 as I have no interest in PS2 games and it doesn't fit in the layout and more to deal with than an on switch.

I've also heard comments about a version 2.0 standard but not sure what this means

That's cool. BTW if someone sells you a PS2 with a Blu-Ray player in it, then I have a bridge to sell you too. :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would highly recommend one of the new Panasonic players (DMP-BD35 or DMP-BD55). They both are reasonbly priced (especially the 35) and have better video performance then most players on the market according to the reviews. I also did my own research and picked up a Home Theater magazine and they rated the video performance on these very high and pointed out that these new Panny BD Players pass video tests that current players (like the PS3) on the market don't pass.

I picked up a Panny on Black Friday and I am really impressed. Load times are not bad, video quality is excellent, BD Live support and fully upgradeable firmware (which means you just plug your player into an ethernet jack to get upgrades to your BD Player). The only thing that irked me a bit is it didn't come with an HDMI cable or memory card. The memory card is needed for BD-Live access and it would have been nice to have an HDMI cable with the player. I had one of each lying around so it wasn't that bad for me.

Both the Panny players come with internal decoding so your receiver doesn't have to have the newest audio codecs (used for Blu Ray). If you don't have an audio receiver with HDMI capabilities, you can purchase the higher priced BD55 above it comes with analog 7.1 audio out which you could use on your older receiver. If you have an HDMI capable receiver (that doesn't have the latest CODECS) there is no reason to purchase the more expensive DMP-BD55. Just pick up the BD35 because there is no difference in video quality between this one and it's higher priced brother. In fact, I would argue that the BD35 is so well priced that you might want to purchase it anyway and just use 5.1 sound on your older receiver until you upgrade to a newer receiver. The price per value is that good IMO.

I am very happy with my purchase. I was actually going to take the plunge and buy a PS3 but now I am glad I read some reviews on the new players. I was able to pick up a higher quality BD player for cheaper then the PS3. Not to mention that I wouldn't have probably used the PS3 much for games anyway. Glad I waited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That player has an optical output.

IS that compatible with my 5.1 system ?

Can't afford a new hdmi 7.1 system yet and still can't figure out where I would put the one of the speakers anyway

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That player has an optical output.

IS that compatible with my 5.1 system ?

Can't afford a new hdmi 7.1 system yet and still can't figure out where I would put the one of the speakers anyway

If you use optical out, you will get DTS 1.5Mbps via your 5.1 system.

So the answer is yes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Panasonic DMP-BD35 is in transit

Sweet. Don't forget to get a memory card for it if you plan on using BDLIVE features.

For firmware upgrades, all you need is an ethernet cable. If you don't have one close or don't have a wireless solution...you can also download the firmware update to disc and apply it that way.

Let us know what you think.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few Ethernet cables :)

I telecommute and in the house I have several Oracle database servers and Asterisk phone server, Centos/Samaba file server and an 10gb network around the house :)

No wireless needed yet, though I do have a wireless version of my Sonicwall firewall should i need it :)