Xmas is Coming and Which Blue-Ray

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't Playstation.

I keep hearing about 2.0 version ?

It all depends on what you are getting out of it. If you want overall value, you should still go PS3. If you want the cheapest available. WalMart will have a $128 player on Black Friday.

It also depends on your current equipment. Do you have a receiver that can decode all of the latest audio codecs? If not, the Samsung 1500/2500 player(s)has 7.1 analog outs so you can still get the TrueHD/DTS:MA sound.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the new Blu-ray players have the abilty to stream movies from Netflix.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My audio system does 5.1 with optical input not got a hdmi system yet

What is this version 2 stuff ?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My audio system does 5.1 with optical input not got a hdmi system yet

What is this version 2 stuff ?

They've added different functionality versions in players. The 2.0 includes BD-Java capability which is needed on some disc for special features mostly. 2.0 mandates internet connection for firmware updates, etc.

If you want to get Bluray with the latest audio codecs without upgrading your receiver, you'll want a Bluray player with analog out connections. I think I remember you saying that you have a TV with HDMI so you should be ok there.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geeks speak in sentence fragments?
It makes perfect sense to dcr because he absorbs (listens, reads, whatever) in keywords. I am, as of yet, to properly learn the best way to get my points across to him.

Example: We are having his family over for Thanksgiving this year. We were discussing who would be bringing what, what we would be making, etc...

Me: I'll be making my stuffing for sure, but maybe someone in your family can bring a green bean casserole or whatever vegetable your family likes...

Madre dcr (a few days later): What will Linda be making, and what do we need to bring?

dcr: The only thing I know for sure is she is making a green bean casserole.

Sigh.

:D I need to learn to speak in keywords better...something like, "DCR...US. Stuffing. Them. Other food."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense to dcr because he absorbs (listens, reads, whatever) in keywords. I am, as of yet, to properly learn the best way to get my points across to him.

Example: We are having his family over for Thanksgiving this year. We were discussing who would be bringing what, what we would be making, etc...

Me: I'll be making my stuffing for sure, but maybe someone in your family can bring a green bean casserole or whatever vegetable your family likes...

Madre dcr (a few days later): What will Linda be making, and what do we need to bring?

Sigh.

:D I need to learn to speak in keywords better...something like, "DCR...US. Stuffing. Them. Other food."

There is no smiley that correct depicts how I feel right now.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sigh.

You could have just said DCR...Guy.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying is DCR is basically Google AdWords.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I was trying to say is I am in the market for a Blueray player for Xmas.

I don't want a PS2 as I have no interest in PS2 games and it doesn't fit in the layout and more to deal with than an on switch.

I've also heard comments about a version 2.0 standard but not sure what this means

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
What I was trying to say is I am in the market for a Blueray player for Xmas.

I don't want a PS2 as I have no interest in PS2 games and it doesn't fit in the layout and more to deal with than an on switch.

I've also heard comments about a version 2.0 standard but not sure what this means

Make sure you get one that has ethernet to upgrade firmware. (Most do, but some still do not) and that it supports 7.1 channel sound. Other than that, you should be good. I'd get a Sony or Samsung. The LG's aren't bad either.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen