Votes: 18 72.0%
  • PS3

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
better pick up your PS3 SOON if you plan on getting one.

Sony is officially discontinuing the 60gb model and is replacing it with an 80gb model and jacking the price back up to $599.

to top it off, they are removing the emotion engine from the hardware, and are now doing software emulation for PS2-PS titles. so you are only getting close to 90% compatibility instead of 100%, and a loss in visual quality.
:nospam:

:)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever, Wii boy.

/now likes the Wii

I still love the Wii, eventhough I don't have one anymore.

I almost put one on my credit card. I have to fight the urges, as I need to pay down all of my damn credit.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am one offer off of getting my Wii for free.

I did that back in the day with my original xbox...got it for about 23 dollars.

My Wii will end up costing me about $32. It's taken forever to clear the offers though. I have two of my 3 certificates.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to game on all 3 platforms. I own 2 of them and I borrowed for extended period of time the PS3. So for me it depends on what your looking for in your system in terms of how I would rank them.

Casual to Hard core gamer
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

XBOX 360 has a superior game library between all 3 consoles. Plus it has a ton of content for old school gamers via XBOX Live.

Family entertainment
Wii
Xbox 360
PS3

The Wii just manages to get people to play games who normally would not. Great overall family system. The XBOX 360 is next because they do offer the typical kid game fair not to mention more family friendly content via XBOX Live.

Home theater enthusiast standpoint
PS3
XBOX 360
Wii

This one is much closer then the others (except the Wii). PS3 gets a slight advantage because of the Blu-Ray being built in. However, the XBOX 360 does offer HD DVD (although in a separate drive). Basically, the difference between the two is negligible in terms of video playback quality and sound quality. Not to mention the games look amazingly similar in quality.

There really is no clear cut winner in this category. The PS3 is the more convenient with an all in 1 package. I will say though that the XBOX 360 is the safer bet in terms of future proofing. If you get a PS3 and Blu-Ray loses the format war, you basically have a PS3 gaming machine that can only play your old DVD library. If HD DVD loses the format war then MS the next day comes out with a Blu-Ray DVD drive to connect to the 360. The downside is you would have to pay for another add on.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the color-coordinated post...

(seriously--I'm weird that way)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to game on all 3 platforms. I own 2 of them and I borrowed for extended period of time the PS3. So for me it depends on what your looking for in your system in terms of how I would rank them.

Casual to Hard core gamer
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

XBOX 360 has a superior game library between all 3 consoles. Plus it has a ton of content for old school gamers via XBOX Live.

Family entertainment
Wii
Xbox 360
PS3

The Wii just manages to get people to play games who normally would not. Great overall family system. The XBOX 360 is next because they do offer the typical kid game fair not to mention more family friendly content via XBOX Live.

Home theater enthusiast standpoint
PS3
XBOX 360
Wii

This one is much closer then the others (except the Wii). PS3 gets a slight advantage because of the Blu-Ray being built in. However, the XBOX 360 does offer HD DVD (although in a separate drive). Basically, the difference between the two is negligible in terms of video playback quality and sound quality. Not to mention the games look amazingly similar in quality.

There really is no clear cut winner in this category. The PS3 is the more convenient with an all in 1 package. I will say though that the XBOX 360 is the safer bet in terms of future proofing. If you get a PS3 and Blu-Ray loses the format war, you basically have a PS3 gaming machine that can only play your old DVD library. If HD DVD loses the format war then MS the next day comes out with a Blu-Ray DVD drive to connect to the 360. The downside is you would have to pay for another add on.

A little of a hickup. The HDDVD/360 do have sound issues that the PS3 does not. The HDDVD does not have the ability to replicate TrueHD sounds, where the PS3/Bluray does. So eventhough the video quality is pretty comparable between HDDVD/360, the sound does not.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little of a hickup. The HDDVD/360 do have sound issues that the PS3 does not. The HDDVD does not have the ability to replicate TrueHD sounds, where the PS3/Bluray does. So eventhough the video quality is pretty comparable between HDDVD/360, the sound does not.

Actually I was comparing the overall sound quality DESPITE the Xbox 360 DVD not outputting TrueHD signal. Sorry but I have heard TrueHD plenty and my conclusion is that it's extremely over hyped. I guess it could get better as studios sound engineers get used to the format. Until then I stand by my point that the sound differences are negligible.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I have all three and here's my assessment:

1. Xbox 360 - huge library of games, Xbox live is great, poor product build quality (on my 3rd due to red blinking lights), graphics inferior to PS3.

2. PS3 - outstanding quality, super graphics to Xbox 360 (1080p), small library of games, HDMI output.

3. Wii - Toy.

If there is a new game out on both 360 and PS3, I will buy PS3 (for instance, Madden 2008).

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

1. Xbox 360 - huge library of games, Xbox live is great, poor product build quality (on my 3rd due to red blinking lights), graphics inferior to PS3.

2. PS3 - outstanding quality, super graphics to Xbox 360 (1080p), small library of games, HDMI output.

3. Wii - Toy.

If there is a new game out on both 360 and PS3, I will buy PS3 (for instance, Madden 2008).

Xbox Elite has 1080p and HDMI.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3. Wii - Toy.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't.

Madden 08 with only run at 30FPS on the PS3. It will be running at a full 60FPS on the 360. It will make a HUGE graphics difference. Your eye can see the differences between 30FPS and 60FPS.

If I were to buy Madden 08 and had both the 360 and PS3, I would buy it on the 360 without question. This is a huge design flaw for the PS3.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

3. Wii - Toy.

Madden on the PS3 is going to be 30fps while the 360 is locked at 60fps. NCAA is the same this year. I've been playing NCAA on my 360 and it's smooth as butter. Last years version was 30fps and there is an enormous difference in overall quality / smoothness this year.

It's my hopes though that the PS3 gets its act together this year and finally starts to catch up. I need an excuse to get a blu-ray player. But the lack of games and madden only being 30fps is a killer for me right now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madden on the PS3 is going to be 30fps while the 360 is locked at 60fps. NCAA is the same this year. I've been playing NCAA on my 360 and it's smooth as butter. Last years version was 30fps and there is an enormous difference in overall quality / smoothness this year.

It's my hopes though that the PS3 gets its act together this year and finally starts to catch up. I need an excuse to get a blu-ray player. But the lack of games and madden only being 30fps is a killer for me right now.

hey, that sounds familiar. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If madden on the 360 is as smooth as NCAA, it will be great.

I'm having fun in campus legend mode (though my coach is an idiot).

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I DEFINITELY wouldn't.

Madden 08 with only run at 30FPS on the PS3. It will be running at a full 60FPS on the 360. It will make a HUGE graphics difference. Your eye can see the differences between 30FPS and 60FPS.

If I were to buy Madden 08 and had both the 360 and PS3, I would buy it on the 360 without question. This is a huge design flaw for the PS3.

What kind of display are you playing on?

Your information is correct, except that Madden is supposed to be 1080i resolution on the PS3, while the Xbox 360 version will be 720p.

I personally prefer the 1080i/p games of the PS3 over 720p 360 games on my 1080p display.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of display are you playing on?

Your information is correct, except that Madden is supposed to be 1080i resolution on the PS3, while the Xbox 360 version will be 720p.

I personally prefer the 1080i/p games of the PS3 over 720p 360 games on my 1080p display.

The difference between 30fps/60fps is 1000x greater than the difference between 720p and 1080i.

Do you have Madden 07? Think of the spin move for example, it almost takes a full second from the time you hit the spin button for you to see the move. That will be the same on the PS3, while it will be instantaneous on the 360. That is just one of the many examples that you will see. 30fps/60fps not only affects graphics, but game play as well.

I have a 1080p Sony SXRD

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The difference between 30fps/60fps is 1000x greater than the difference between 720p and 1080i.

I know you're a long timer on this forum, but that's a ridiculous comment. 1920x1080 has twice as many pixels as 1440x720. The resolution difference is extremely clear, especially through HDMI.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you're a long timer on this forum, but that's a ridiculous comment. 1920x1080 has twice as many pixels as 1440x720. The resolution difference is extremely clear, especially through HDMI.

Wrong. I believe that 1080i is better than 720p but it is far that a ridiculous statement. The difference can be subtle or great, depending on your display, and your display's native resolution. If you have a 720p native resolution display, and you decide that you want to use 1080i, it is going to upconvert the image to 1080i, and then back down to 720p again, how is the resolution difference going to matter here? The general rule of thumb is to match your display's native resolution, or come as close to that as possible. 1080i may have twice as many pixels, but 720p displays it's pixels twice as fast.

Some feel that faster moving images (like sports) benefit from using 720p vs 1080i, and some networks agree. Not every network displays its HD signal in 1080i for all of its shows.

We could debate this in another thread if you like, but it isn't appropriate here.

Oh, and Madden 08 on the 360 will support 1080i.

1080i60 360 >>>>> 1080p30 PS3.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard