WR Rome Odunze

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What has changed between now and January or February when you were very confident that MHJ would be at least as good as Justin Jefferson? Were there other games played?

I watched a bunch of plays from OSU-Notre Dame last year, and it was wild the way MHJ distorted the field on every snap. He had the highest percentage of double coverage ever tracked I believe. OSU's QB situation was a disaster last year; the offense in the Notre Dame game seemed to be "Take advantage of the attention that MHJ is drawing by going anywhere else."

I haven't seen that happen in a college game before.

Well for one I've watched a lot more of both players, seen combines and pro days, read other people opinions who I respect and generally have a lot more information now than I did in January.

Nothing I said suggests my opinion of MHJ is lessoned, I simply think Odunze is right there beside him, maybe half a step behind at worse.

I was much higher on Nabers a couple of months ago, that's changed too. The more I've watched him and seen him interviewed this lower I've got.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well for one I've watched a lot more of both players, seen combines and pro days, read other people opinions who I respect and generally have a lot more information now than I did in January.

Nothing I said suggests my opinion of MHJ is lessoned, I simply think Odunze is right there beside him, maybe half a step behind at worse.

I was much higher on Nabers a couple of months ago, that's changed too. The more I've watched him and seen him interviewed this lower I've got.
He isn't. That doesn't make Rome a bad prospect, but it doesn't mean they are "close". There is no world where Rome goes before MHJ.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just look at the compensation required to take Rome instead of MHJ. People are demanding two first round picks (6+future) to move down with the Giants.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He isn't. That doesn't make Rome a bad prospect, but it doesn't mean they are "close". There is no world where Rome goes before MHJ.

I don't know that is true.

It's been widely reported that teams see all three top guys interchangeable depending on what you need as a team.

You can disagree with the guys opinion, but a former NFL GM ranked Harrison 3rd. So if that guy was drafting he absolutely doesn't go first.

I personally believe that Harrison has the highest floor and that is why I want him. I am always risk adverse.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It's been widely reported that teams see all three top guys interchangeable depending on what you need as a team.

You can disagree with the guys opinion, but a former NFL GM ranked Harrison 3rd. So if that guy was drafting he absolutely doesn't go first.

I personally believe that Harrison has the highest floor and that is why I want him. I am always risk adverse.
I'm taking Harrison Jr. because I'm scared of not taking Harrison Jr. at this point.

Rome is a fantastic prospect. Higher catch rate than Marvin on more targets. Substantially higher contested catch rate.

I was watching Bootleg footballs receiver rankings where they broke it down by category and they essentially said for multiple categories that Odunze would be considered the best in college football.

Marvin is definitely faster and taller, and probably a better route runner but he is less physical.

I think I look at it like Marvin is a 9.7 and Rome is a 9.5. Nabers is a 9.2 for me because at this point he's really just a super explosive receiver, who doesn't run particularly good routes and is mostly a slot guy, whereas Odunze and Marvin can play all three receiver positions.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Harrison Jr. because I'm scared of not taking Harrison Jr. at this point.

Rome is a fantastic prospect. Higher catch rate than Marvin on more targets. Substantially higher contested catch rate.

I was watching Bootleg footballs receiver rankings where they broke it down by category and they essentially said for multiple categories that Odunze would be considered the best in college football.

Marvin is definitely faster and taller, and probably a better route runner but he is less physical.

I think I look at it like Marvin is a 9.7 and Rome is a 9.5. Nabers is a 9.2 for me because at this point he's really just a super explosive receiver, who doesn't run particularly good routes and is mostly a slot guy, whereas Odunze and Marvin can play all three receiver positions.

Yep this is my opinion as well

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I still don't understand how anyone who watched the two play in college thought that.

I can’t explain the Trubisky thing but Mahomes was seen as a high ceiling/low floor QB. Nobody in real time thought it was ridiculous that he fell. I remember thinking it was nuts that Watson fell out of the top-10.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all still a gamble. Many of the best college players never make it big in the pros or have some success and then fade away.

Rome very easily could be the better pro. Time will tell.
This seems to be more the case for WRs and CBs than any other position too.

*edit. I looked it up and WR are 4th highest.

You must be registered for see images attach

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hmm... the operative word 'former.' ;)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To be fair though, most QBs who have played against ASU the last 20 years look like potential NFL HOFers.
That game against ASU, he threw for like 500 yards and 5 TDs. I've never seen a QB who looked that good at the college level, and he threw really well to all levels of the field, he wasn't just dinking and dunking down the field.

ASU won that game because they had a lot more talent overall, but it was the single best passing performance I've ever seen against ASU.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To be fair though, most QBs who have played against ASU the last 20 years look like potential NFL HOFers.
Here were my thoughts on Mahomes back then:

"Mahomes will not go round 3-4. He has generational traits. Matt Miller says he has the strongest arm in a decade.

He's strong, a pretty good athlete, a leader. And even though he has horrific mechanocs, his arm talent overcomes it.

He reminds me a bit of a bigger Russell Wilson, but a better arm."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn