Would you trade Budda?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For his sake I hope they do. We can argue about his value but I think the world of him as a person and football player. By the time we even have a chance to be competitive again he will be long gone.
In Hard Knocks, his sister is going to ASU in the fall. I wonder if he would even want to be traded.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of big-brain Madden thinking here. No one else wants to pay $12M+ for a safety, either. You have to field a football team.

Really hard to sell that we're going to be a tough, smart, and physical football team while offloading your toughest, smartest, and most physical players.
While I doubt there wouldn’t be a healthy list of willing suitors, the staff couldn’t get away with repeatedly praising him as they have and then move him without losing massive credibility in and out of the locker room.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Trading Budda - Every bone in my body shouts “don’t do it.” A train wreck in slow motion that guarantees. a decade or two of mediocrity.
Could be. How are you doing these days Jeff? Hope all is well.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they were truly going for a complete teardown and rebuild, then yes. You trade Budda. But they don't seem to be going for a complete teardown and rebuild right now, so no.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don’t have to like it but I’m curious as to who could argue the ridiculousness of Gannon saying his vision of the team is egoless, smart, adaptable, violent and explosive and then keeping Kyler while discarding Baker.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason Nowell from K State reminds me of Budda Baker.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
last year's best players:
JJ Watt- retired
Hopkins-going to be traded
Murray-injured
Baker-suggested for trade
Murphy- not re-signed
Allen- not re-signed

I think next year's Cards have a real shot for a wild card berth in the XFL.
Yet, they could only win four games. With them or without them your still looking at last place with a bloated salary situation. Get the best you can get and move on.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
It seems we are blowing it up. At least, that's the only thing that makes any sense at this point. If that is truly the committed strategy, then fine. Stick with it and go all the way through. And in that sense, yes, I would trade Baker.

And it's a crying shame we're saddled with that quarter billion dollar contract for Murray. In two years, he may be the sole holdover from our 7-0 team.

Yes. I'm quoting myself here. I stand by this.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Meanwhile safety Jessie Bates just signed a deal worth $16M average per year.
Did he have 2 years left on his contract? I didn’t think so!

Sorry Budda, luv ya but if you don’t play for the Cardinals in 2023 you’re sitting out!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a fan of trading the best players on the team but I am also going to see what they are worth and if the right deal comes along, I pull the trigger.

Anyone expecting Simmons to simply take over is delusional. Simmons was a great college player but I think we have seen he is below average in the NFL. And before anyone says “but Vance this and Vance that” Simmons routinely misplayed angles and missed tackles and those aren’t Vance things. Maybe…hopefully…this defensive staff can get something out of him but I wouldn’t count on it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Move Simmons to safety. His worst traits are with his back to the ball. He's far better with his eyes towards the QB with more time to react.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
He’s awesome for the team but not this team. Due to age, contract demands and not being a ball hawk trade him now. Get the best you can.

If they do trade him look for the cardinals do to something stupid contract wise with a current player as a see we care about our guys..

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Move Simmons to safety. His worst traits are with his back to the ball. He's far better with his eyes towards the QB with more time to react.

Box Safety, perhaps, if the DC likes a combo of three Safeties and two corners in his Nickle package.

But, IMO - they will have to find a true cover corner in this draft and there are 3 or 4 Safeties in this draft also worth considering.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I should have qualified it as such since that is part of the rating
I think “disappointing” is the correct label for him. He’s going into his fourth season and people are still wondering out loud what position he should play.

He can play in the nfl but if he were going to be a star it probably would have happened by now. Bill Davis bears some blame.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think “disappointing” is the correct label for him. He’s going into his fourth season and people are still wondering out loud what position he should play.

He can play in the nfl but if he were going to be a star it probably would have happened by now. Bill Davis bears some blame.
Agreed. I am always blown away how everyone blames it 100% on Vance, who definitely had his issues, and disregard the impact the position coach has on players development. Simmons is really a JAG at this point.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Box Safety, perhaps, if the DC likes a combo of three Safeties and two corners in his Nickle package.

But, IMO - they will have to find a true cover corner in this draft and there are 3 or 4 Safeties in this draft also worth considering.

The draft is pretty weak at safety.

Trade Budda. Sign John Johnson III who was the Rams starting FS for 4 years and Browns the last 2.

He's 27. Has 5000 career snaps. Never allowed a passer rating over 82.8.

Cost a fraction of the price and you'd barely know the difference next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose