Would you trade Budda?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or we could turn Budda into two scrubs and cap space. That's just as likely.

Budda is an interesting case. I can go either way. If we can get a haul, sure. Otherwise, probably not worth it. For a late or mid-round pick only? I doubt I'd do that.

This is the sensible take.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What would you expect a 27 year old 3x All Pro and 5x Pro Bowl safety to bring?

Minimum in my mind would be a 2nd, 3rd and 5th.

Look at the Adams and Fitzpatrick trades and both those guys were getting paid on top of the trade value.
To be fair, Jamal Adams was 25 when he was traded and on a rookie deal. That contract was widely derided at the time it was made and hasn't paid off outside of a 9.5 sack first season with Seattle.

Minkah Fitzpatrick was traded in his second season (age 23) in Miami after a first year as a First-team All Pro and on a rookie deal.

Budda hasn't been a first-team All Pro player in two years. The first year was as a special teams player.

Obviously neither Thompson nor Simmons will replace Baker outside of taking his space on the field. You don't get better trading your best players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Jamal Adams was 25 when he was traded and on a rookie deal. That contract was widely derided at the time it was made and hasn't paid off outside of a 9.5 sack first season with Seattle.

Minkah Fitzpatrick was traded in his second season (age 23) in Miami after a first year as a First-team All Pro and on a rookie deal.

Budda hasn't been a first-team All Pro player in two years. The first year was as a special teams player.

Obviously neither Thompson nor Simmons will replace Baker outside of taking his space on the field. You don't get better trading your best players.
And yet a lot of people want to trade D-Hop, you included right?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not trading him because I think this team can be competitive next year, with the right moves. But not in '23.

If he were two years older than he is, maybe.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And yet a lot of people want to trade D-Hop, you included right?
I treat trading D-Hop as a fait accompli, so I haven't thought much about it.

I've said multiple times that a team that has D-Hop on it will be more entertaining to watch than one without. I think if you get a second-round pick for Hop or better, it's probably worth trading him, because he'll be in decline by the time the Cards are likely to be in a position to compete. But the entertainment value of DHop is greater to me than the prospective value of a mid-3rd round pick or whatever.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guess team work against the British man

It's a game.

Everyone else: This is an interesting topic, I can see the merits but also the downsides.

Same 4 people: Why are you a moron but written in 100 words so I don't have to use the word moron and get banned.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I treat trading D-Hop as a fait accompli, so I haven't thought much about it.

I've said multiple times that a team that has D-Hop on it will be more entertaining to watch than one without. I think if you get a second-round pick for Hop or better, it's probably worth trading him, because he'll be in decline by the time the Cards are likely to be in a position to compete. But the entertainment value of DHop is greater to me than the prospective value of a mid-3rd round pick or whatever.
1000% I’d rather keep him even if it’s the wrong long term decision.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I brought up trading Baker last year... the guy has heart but he really isnt a difference maker on the field. he was billed as Honey Badger lite when we drafted him but never has shown the ability to be a truly disruptive force in the secondary.

But I wouldnt trade him now. It seems coach Peewee is trying to build a team instead of a collection of players. When you focus on team play you need a guy or three like Baker. Those dudes who can snap their neck at the end of the 2nd quarter only to show up after halftime and continue to deliver hits and play hard. That guy who is not only an emotional leader but also demonstrates his passion at every practice and on every snap.

with a group of young guys and over achievers... Baker has more value in the locker room than he does on the field. IMO thats why we heard his name two dozen times when the new staff was giving their press conferences.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I brought up trading Baker last year... the guy has heart but he really isnt a difference maker on the field. he was billed as Honey Badger lite when we drafted him but never has shown the ability to be a truly disruptive force in the secondary.

But I wouldnt trade him now. It seems coach Peewee is trying to build a team instead of a collection of players. When you focus on team play you need a guy or three like Baker. Those dudes who can snap their neck at the end of the 2nd quarter only to show up after halftime and continue to deliver hits and play hard. That guy who is not only an emotional leader but also demonstrates his passion at every practice and on every snap.

with a group of young guys and over achievers... Baker has more value in the locker room than he does on the field. IMO thats why we heard his name two dozen times when the new staff was giving their press conferences.
I really think the reason that our corner play didn't look worse the past two years is because Budda and Thompson were back there covering up a lot of mistakes.

If we're going to pull more Jenga blocks from the tower, it's even more important to put them back there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I really think the reason that our corner play didn't look worse the past two years is because Budda and Thompson were back there covering up a lot of mistakes.

If we're going to pull more Jenga blocks from the tower, it's even more important to put them back there.
thats probably true. VJ's scheme seemed to limit lots of player agency. Maybe the new defense will give Baker more opportunities to make impact

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
For his sake I hope they do. We can argue about his value but I think the world of him as a person and football player. By the time we even have a chance to be competitive again he will be long gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave