Would you pay Kyler 45 mil if this is (basically) his peak?

Are you paying Kyler Murray 45 mil for the production listed below?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I voted yes but my real vote was to fire everyone, cut / trade every vet over 28, and trade Kyler and do a real rebuild but once Keim was back he's basically our only hope now
I think you can get hit a consistent fringe playoff team ceiling with Kliff, Kyler and Keim. Maybe you get a legit run. The real hope is that Keim figures out how to get players who fit the systems being run. Not sure if that will include Vance after this season. It seems like a I won't fire you vs I won't quit situation.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I voted no but won’t quit the team if they do. I think it will be a mistake.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baltimore is begging to extend Lamar; he just represents himself and isn't in any hurry to get it done (wildly, IMO).
Something tells me he has not is because he wants to go to his home in Miami.

I know some believe is because he’s waiting it out to break the market. I don’t fully believe that, at least with Baltimore doing it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im not getting the Kirk Cousins talk. Kirk didnt really find his groove until he was 27/28.

Real question is if he's Matthew Stafford or Carson Wentz.
Does he ever live up to his full potential. Or is he just not able to overcome his major flaw. That Im not sure of. Cause it totally depends on Keim's ability to improve the interior and Kyler being able to manipulate a muddy pocket to find throwing lanes. I'll say right now that a QB Im not sure of in terms NFL star quality, Bryce Young, probably is already better than Kyler at that. Its the downside of being a 4.3/4.4 guy most of your life.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Physical - yes, mental - hell no, so voted no for that reason. With that said I don’t think he is near his mental peak yet.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yeah, I would pay him that because I just can't face the alternative of seeing the Cardinals attempt drafting just a serviceable QB, and though we have had success, the twilight of their career route of the Palmer/Warner approach also offers the franchise setting back results of the Kolb/Bradford snafu. I think even if his play does not get any better, his leadership will if not only slightly due to something call maturity through the experience of life alone. If Keim would get his head out of his arse and put priority on the interior of his OL, current Kyler with an above average OL would be very hard to defend against and probably less likely to be injured. Like Gandalf told another hobbit named Bilbo, I think there is still more to Kyler than we think... BTW, I sure used the word 'think' a lot which probably does not help my stance :)

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I definitely would.

Here are 10 reasons

1. Josh Rosen
2. Matt Leinart
3. Derek Anderson
4. Max Hall
5. John Skelton
6. Timm Rosenbach
7. Jeff Blake
8. Jake Plummer
9. Sam Bradford
10. Kevin Kolb

People act like we could just swoop up a better franchise QB if we let Kyler go. History strongly suggests we can't.

Pay the man and put a real team around him.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there really an option?

Even if you don't think he will take us to the promised land, what kind of chance you see us ever competing?

Confidence in the stellar drafting of QB's in the desert?

Old yeller route a la Warner/Palmer?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yup.

Aint my money.

Kid is already as good as Palmer was and I thought we had a shot with him.

Plus, its way past time we put the franchise QB discussion to rest. We got one, deal with him, move on to the rest of the team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I definitely would.

Here are 10 reasons

1. Josh Rosen
2. Matt Leinart
3. Derek Anderson
4. Max Hall
5. John Skelton
6. Timm Rosenbach
7. Jeff Blake
8. Jake Plummer
9. Sam Bradford
10. Kevin Kolb

People act like we could just swoop up a better franchise QB if we let Kyler go. History strongly suggests we can't.

Yeah, "pay the man," hamstring our cap, and then have a built in reason we can't win. I swear, half of this board would have paid Jameis Winston all of the money available because he was statistically our best QB of all time.

Cards fans have PTSD. All of the QBs listed were a pain to watch at times, but we have to stop setting our ineptitude as the standard of what to beat compared to the rest of the league. Going to the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round isn't success. Teams with elite QBs have a chance every year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I definitely would.

Here are 10 reasons

1. Josh Rosen
2. Matt Leinart
3. Derek Anderson
4. Max Hall
5. John Skelton
6. Timm Rosenbach
7. Jeff Blake
8. Jake Plummer
9. Sam Bradford
10. Kevin Kolb

But this is a false equivalency. If we don't extend him this offseason, we absolutely don't have to get rid of him and start over. That is in no way the situation. We could control him for 4 more seasons if we wanted to. If he doesn't improve, then whew! We dodged a big bullet. If he does, then great! We pay to keep a top QB. I'm more than willing to do that, and he'd be more than willing to stay if he gets that cheddar.

Stout

Reaction score
Is there really an option?

Even if you don't think he will take us to the promised land, what kind of chance you see us ever competing?

Confidence in the stellar drafting of QB's in the desert?

Old yeller route a la Warner/Palmer?
Again, the situation isn't pay him versus get rid of him. The situation is pay him now or wait and see if he gets better. People going chicken little (not casting that shade at you in particular), claiming we have no choice are simply wrong. We really don't have to pay him now. That's just some folks' preference.

And I can't believe I've referred to others as chicken littles lol

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

He still is under contract and has much to show

Hie regression last year is a major concern and without the proper work ethic It's hard to see him getting to the next level to deserve such a contract

Reactions: TRW

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I definitely would.

Here are 10 reasons

1. Josh Rosen
2. Matt Leinart
3. Derek Anderson
4. Max Hall
5. John Skelton
6. Timm Rosenbach
7. Jeff Blake
8. Jake Plummer
9. Sam Bradford
10. Kevin Kolb

This is John Navarre erasure.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I mean paying huge money to a guy we're setting up to get killed with a bad OL
What's the alternative? Play without a QB? Go back to the wildcat?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "pay the man," hamstring our cap, and then have a built in reason we can't win. I swear, half of this board would have paid Jameis Winston all of the money available because he was statistically our best QB of all time.

Cards fans have PTSD. All of the QBs listed were a pain to watch at times, but we have to stop setting our ineptitude as the standard of what to beat compared to the rest of the league. Going to the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round isn't success. Teams with elite QBs have a chance every year.
Two points.

1. It won't hurt our cap, it will look like a steal the next few years. The cap is expected to go up by more than Kyler's contract EACH YEAR for the next few years.
2. Jameis Winston? Grasping at straws to prove a point I see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh we have to pay him I'm just saying it's scary to pay so much to a guy who you're not going to be able to protect

Stout

Reaction score
The alternative is to pay him what is on his contract for a year and see how he is then. Yes, he'll be upset, and will threaten to hold out, blah blah blah, then he'll return to the team and we'll see how he reacts to this kind of adversity.

Pretending like it's pay him RIGHT NOW or we lose him is just out of touch with reality. Kid ain't sitting out a season.

Reactions: TRW

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose