With the 4th pick, the Phoenix Suns Select

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Figured as much...I haven't paid too much attention to drafts when we're not involved so I can't say this for certain but it doesn't feel like a weak draft; the top 7 or 8 in Simmons, Ingram, bender, brown, Murray, Dunn, Chriss and possibly Hield all look solid and there's a few sleepers that could be gems; maker, qi and Sabonis possibly, but I would also prefer not to take Murray, Dunn or Hield at #4...same goes for skal at 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Maker's workout with us wasn't that great, so I'm not sure we'll reach for him at 13.

From what the Suns released he finished first among the group in the sprints at the end with 27 which is very impressive imo for a 7'1 player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what the Suns released he finished first among the group in the sprints at the end with 27 which is very impressive imo for a 7'1 player.

So he can cover ground with his long legs. If rumors are true they were not impressed with other aspects of his workout his sprint time won't get him selected.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we could land Chriss and brown by trading down and up from 4 and 13....well that's an A+++ right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brown
Chriss
Maker

would be close to my ideal outcome need wise. A talented, young, athletic player at each frontcourt position and two bright kids in Brown and Maker known for great work ethic and character.

Len/Chandler/Maker
???/Chriss/Teletovic or Leuer
Warren/Brown/Buddinger
Booker/Goodwin/Bogdanovic
Bledsoe/Knight/Price

Move Tucker and Jenkins for a PF that can hold down the starting position for a while. Maybe Taj Gibson.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Maker with our 3rd 1st rounder, definitely. I'm intrigued by Qi as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Stunned"? Really? ALL mock drafts have both of them hovering around that pick.

I debated between stunned and shocked, it's a tossup. And yes, I've seen mocks that have them very late in the first and even into the second. IMO they are the kind of prospects that will likely go much higher than anticipated. I want Bolomboy (often tagged as a 2nd rounder) with our late first rounder but I suspect he'll jump up the boards by draft time too.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As the Chriss hype train continues to grow, I feel more and more confident that he'll be the pick.

With Ingram/Simmons/Bender off the board (and our giant hole at PF), he makes the most sense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I debated between stunned and shocked, it's a tossup. And yes, I've seen mocks that have them very late in the first and even into the second. IMO they are the kind of prospects that will likely go much higher than anticipated. I want Bolomboy (often tagged as a 2nd rounder) with our late first rounder but I suspect he'll jump up the boards by draft time too.

Of course, we all think everyone will move up in the draft, but that also means the same number of guys will move down and so far, nobody has really been predicted to move down (except MAYBE Jaylen Brown).

In order for 8 guys to move up, 8 guys have to move down. Not sure that is realistic.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Draftexpress updated the mock draft...

They have Marquese Chriss going #3 to the Celtics now, wow that would suck..

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

They have us picking
Bender at 4
Deyonta Davis at 13
Bembry at 28
Stone at 34

Jaylen Brown dropped from 3 to 7 in their update, Thon Maker goes 32 and 2 spots ahead of our 2nd round pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draftexpress updated the mock draft...

They have Marquese Chriss going #3 to the Celtics now, wow that would suck..

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

They have us picking
Bender at 4
Deyonta Davis at 13
Bembry at 28
Stone at 34

Jaylen Brown dropped from 3 to 7 in their update, Thon Maker goes 32 and 2 spots ahead of our 2nd round pick.

Bender at 4 is not bad. They have Ellenson going at 15 which sounds about right to me. I really like Joe Chee for a flyer late in the first round.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bender is not going to contribute for years and when he does he will be a center.

I dont want Bender on the Suns under any circumstance. I think he will be a massive bust like Tsikitsvili.

Even Porzingis who is imo much more agile and explosive than Bender is a long term center in the NBA, not a PF.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender is not going to contribute for years and when he does he will be a center.

I dont want Bender on the Suns under any circumstance. I think he will be a massive bust like Tsikitsvili.

Even Porzingis who is imo much more agile and explosive than Bender is a long term center in the NBA, not a PF.

Why is he a center? He has the mobility and skills to play pf. There are pf's--even sf's--with his size (Durant, Dirk). Now, if he really does not have the mobility, sure. But that is easy enough to test.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why is he a center? He has the mobility and skills to play pf. There are pf's--even sf's--with his size (Durant, Dirk). Now, if he really does not have the mobility, sure. But that is easy enough to test.

Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best shooters of all time and Durant is in a different universe athleticially.

Bender is not a natural shooter, he has a very slow release, dont let shooting %s on a low volume fool you. He is making shots that are wide open.

I cant see Bender ever being much of a threat offensively especially in the pick and roll. Being able to play the pick and role is the key skill for a PF in my opinion without it little chance of being a star and thus I would not touch Bender at #4.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best shooters of all time and Durant is in a different universe athleticially.

Bender is not a natural shooter, he has a very slow release, dont let shooting %s on a low volume fool you. He is making shots that are wide open.

I cant see Bender ever being much of a threat offensively especially in the pick and roll.

You seem to have the tendency to pigeon hole players into positions based on what you think they can't do. In my experience, that rarely works. Unless they have the ability to play a position, no amount of shortcomings at another position will change their reality. Just watching clips, I don't see center in his future at all. Bust maybe but center is doubtful IMO. But I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into one of those position-less players that doesn't fit well into any box.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be stunned if either player dropped anywhere close to our 3rd pick.

Really? Maybe Maker but Qi?

Qi is projected by almost every site to be picked in the 2nd round. So I would actually be stunned if he didn't drop to our 3rd pick.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rebounding is probably the one thing that almost always translates well from college to the pros. So its worrisome that Chriss is such an awful rebounder in college, it doesn't seem like a skill that gets improved all that much in the NBA quite often.

If he was even a half decent rebounder, I'd feel comfortable with them taking him. Hell considering our options, he may still be the best option but yikes his rebounding leaves a ton to be desired.

And it should be deja vu for Suns fans to get another PF who struggles rebounding the basketball...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebounding is probably the one thing that almost always translates well from college to the pros. So its worrisome that Chriss is such an awful rebounder in college, it doesn't seem like a skill that gets improved all that much in the NBA quite often.

If he was even a half decent rebounder, I'd feel comfortable with them taking him. Hell considering our options, he may still be the best option but yikes his rebounding leaves a ton to be desired.

And it should be deja vu for Suns fans to get another PF who struggles rebounding the basketball...

How many times have we seen a player who struggles rebounding in college become a good rebounder in the NBA? I am sure it's happened but I bet I can count how many times on one hand.

I think you can improve some things in the NBA but putting your hopes on improving rebounding isn't one of them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
How many times have we seen a player who struggles rebounding in college become a good rebounder in the NBA? I am sure it's happened but I bet I can count how many times on one hand.

I think you can improve some things in the NBA but putting your hopes on improving rebounding isn't one of them.

That is simplified thinking.

On the other hand Chriss is one of the best if not the best offensive rebounder at college level.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is simplified thinking.

On the other hand Chriss is one of the best if not the best offensive rebounder at college level.

How is that simplified? Unless you can show me a trend of players who overall struggled at rebounding and became good rebounders at the next level it's quantified...not simplified.

The point was it rarely happens. If one of the main reasons you want to draft him is hoping that he becomes a great rebounder....it's flawed thinking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Maybe Maker but Qi?

Qi is projected by almost every site to be picked in the 2nd round. So I would actually be stunned if he didn't drop to our 3rd pick.

First off, Qi was top 10 prior to the season in some of the projections (or at least one). And a star from China is the NBA's version of the Holy Grail. If there's any reason to believe he has a future, even an average future, someone's going to grab him in the early 20's IMO. Let's face it, most players drafted in that area are marginal NBA prospects anyway. But we'll see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen