With the 4th pick, the Phoenix Suns Select

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Insert your choice here. Mine is)

Jaylen Brown SF/SG California.

Supremely athletic wing. High Ceiling / High Floor player. Huge hops and a decent J. Underrated defender.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His shooting percentages are not good. Today's NBA is all about floor spacing and 3 point shooting. Bender was the pick. At number three, BPA at position of need. Made for the stretch 4 position in today's NBA. Possibly the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Now, Boston's gonna take him. But hey, it sure felt great to win those last couple of games at the end of the season, right......

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with DB. Still, we need a PF SOOOOO BAAAAAD. It seemed like a perfect fit. Every other PF is a total reach with the fourth pick. If/when Boston takes DB, BPA are all guards. We need another guard like we need Knight to take more 20 footers with 17 seconds on the shot clock. The thought of drafting Brown just depresses me. I'd almost rather reach on Chriss. Take all PF's with 4, 13, 28. One of em's bound to hit, right?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
#3 - #6 is such a crapshoot. Right now my first choice is Bender, and I don't really like any of the other guys that might be taken at that spot. Ironically, I'm much more excited about the available players at #13.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Amar'e Stoudemire. "I've got our first-round draft pick right here."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not impressed with any so far. Maybe Hield. Just BPA.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His shooting percentages are not good. Today's NBA is all about floor spacing and 3 point shooting. Bender was the pick. At number three, BPA at position of need. Made for the stretch 4 position in today's NBA. Possibly the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Now, Boston's gonna take him. But hey, it sure felt great to win those last couple of games at the end of the season, right......

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with DB. Still, we need a PF SOOOOO BAAAAAD. It seemed like a perfect fit. Every other PF is a total reach with the fourth pick. If/when Boston takes DB, BPA are all guards. We need another guard like we need Knight to take more 20 footers with 17 seconds on the shot clock. The thought of drafting Brown just depresses me. I'd almost rather reach on Chriss. Take all PF's with 4, 13, 28. One of em's bound to hit, right?

You can't draft for need with the 4 pick. You need to take the BPA.

I am not remotely convinced Bender will be any better than Sabonis.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not impressed with any so far. Maybe Hield. Just BPA.

You want to take Eddie House with the 4 pick?

Edit: Actually he could be Monta Ellis (his ceiling) but he is probably Eddie House.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would like to know, "Why Jaylen Brown"? We have many draft sites advocating him, but I have seen nothing that would garner his selection at #4, even if we "kinda" have a need for a SF. And yet, I'm seeing his name plastered all over the #4 spot.

Does anyone who advocates drafting him have any good information on him?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want to take Eddie House with the 4 pick?

Edit: Actually he could be Monta Ellis (his ceiling) but he is probably Eddie House.

Are you comparing the 6-1 175 lb Eddie House with the 6-5 212 lb Hield. One is a small sg in a pg's body. The other is a sg in a strong sg's body. No comparison. Monta Ellis is 6-3, 185. Again, the body is just not that comparable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Are you comparing the 6-1 175 lb Eddie House with the 6-5 212 lb Hield. One is a small sg in a pg's body. The other is a sg in a strong sg's body. No comparison. Monta Ellis is 6-3, 185. Again, the body is just not that comparable.
Buddy is a better shooter than both as well (far better than Ellis). Certainly is also a far better scorer than House.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The game is the same.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know, "Why Jaylen Brown"? We have many draft sites advocating him, but I have seen nothing that would garner his selection at #4, even if we "kinda" have a need for a SF. And yet, I'm seeing his name plastered all over the #4 spot.

Does anyone who advocates drafting him have any good information on him?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaylen-brown

NBA Comparison: Jason Richardson
Strengths: Supremely talented wing with physicality and a nose for the basket ... Brown has been blessed with a man's body at a very young age ... He checked in at 6'6.5" in shoes and 222 lbs at the 2015 Nike Hoop Summit ... He often outmuscled his opponents whether attacking the basket or bodying up defenders in the post ... Not just strong, but also a high-level athlete ... Quick-twitch muscles are superb as he can create space with just a simple jab step ... Has a combination of strength and speed that is rarely seen in players his age ... Uses these attributes to finish plays around the rim at a high rate ... Welcomes and absorbs contact whenever he drives to the basket ... Is very good at splitting defenders whether in the air or off the dribble ... Often finishes with ferocious slams and tenacity at the hoop ... Doesn't force his way through the lane ... Surveys the defense and will often take what is given to him ... Likes to get a feel for where his defender is and then spin off to create space for his jumper ... While high school defense and college defense are two different things he's shown all the tools to be a great defender at any level ... His frame and athleticism allows him to guard between three and four positions ... Can stay in front of quicker players and go blow for blow with bigger players down low ... Transition is where he has the ability to wreak the most havoc ... Capable of both starting and finishing the fast break ...

Weaknesses: While he's found it easy to score most of his life, he will need to develop a more consistent jump shot to become an elite scorer ... His mechanics and form can change depending on where he is shooting the ball from ... Needs to develop a consistent shooting form ... At times tried to do too much, which led to unforced or unnecessary turnovers ... Must become a better player off the dribble ... Doesn't have many moves with the ball just attacks the rim for now ... Isn't as strong with his left hand ... Improve on going left and finishing on the left hand side ... Can't become overdependent on his athletic and physical tools ... At times can be too laid back on the floor, should look to develop a higher level of consistent energy ... Consistency and focus will be the key for him at Cal to prove that he's worth the hype that he received as a high schooler ...

Overall: Brown is a prospect that has all the physical gifts you could ask for. His combination of toughness, smarts and athleticism would allow him to hold his own in an NBA game right now. However, he must continue to fully develop his basketball skills if he wants to stand out and become one of the best players in the league. Has flashed the potential of become a versatile all-around player, hopefully one day he can fulfill it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I hope the Suns seriously consider this possibility. If there's a team that projects to be in the lottery next season too that desperately wants our pick, I wouldn't hesitate to give them our pick for their unprotected one next season plus some other asset (either this pick this year or some player or something).

Because right now, our options at #4 are looking :barf:

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoops Hype

http://hoopshype.com/2016/04/17/nba-mock-draft-2016/

Shooting Guard / 6-7 / California / Freshman

14.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg

Nicknamed "Old Man" by his mom, Brown does everything very deliberately. He moves slow, talks slow and walks slow, and actually likes the nickname given by his mother. But on the floor, he's anything but slow. Brown is a terror in the open floor, utilizing his superior speed, athleticism and raw power to get to the rim. His jump shot, despite average percentages, is underrated. His floor game continues to progress, and he's begun to put together moves to get by opponents, which makes for a deadly mix. Brown is a thoughtful, introspective kid with high character and superstar upside. He possesses the same elite athleticism as Jason Richardson, only with more size and strength.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The game is the same.

not really, plus Hields shooting numbers put him in very good company.

His floor is basically Jodie Meeks.

Still would not pick him that high because he is a senior. If we went that route I don't see how you pick Hield over Murray who is like 3 or 4 years younger and a very good shooter and scorer himself.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Desmond Mason?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buddy Hield has similar production to Harden. He is just blooming about a year later. He is a better outside shooter. Similar body. Similar strength. Harden is slightly bigger.

Don't know what Hield's vert is. I would call him Harden light.

I would not mind taking Hield and Sabonis. I think both of them are going to have very productive NBA careers. They both have unmistakable NBA skills and I think that is about all you can hope for in this draft.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...no one will that make any impact.

Why do we always get our highest picks in years that the draft absolutely sucks? Bender? Great, we can be the Ivory Towers! Heild... okay... we've got our SG of the future. But hey, the Suns love their redundancy, so sign him up! Everyone else at 4? Blegh... just blegh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn