Wilson signs

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Just saw this on ESPN!

ESPN.com news services
You must be registered for see images
Arizona Cardinals: Safety Adrian Wilson, who was scheduled to be a free agent after the season, signed a five-year, $21 million contract with the Cardinals. Included in the deal was a $4.5 million signing bonus. Wilson is now signed through the 2009 season.

Signing Wilson was considered a priority during the season. He was a restricted free agent with a first-round tender of $1.368 million this season. Talks have been on and off for the past two months. The Cardinals initially wanted a longer-term contract, but the deal came together during the final 24 hours.

The beauty of the contract is that Wilson is young enough that he might get one more deal after this. He's 25 years old and would be 30 when his contract expires. He was a third-round choice of the Cardinals in 2001 and is considered one of the better safeties in the league.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
:thumbup: Great move as long as he keeps playing the way he has this season after he gets the dough.

Good job by the Cards front office regardless.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
AWESOME!!!

That is HUGE for the future of this emerging defense. Now we need another safety and another DT that can stuff the run more.

:raccoon:

:cards:

BEAT THE SEAHAWKS!!!

BEAT THE BUCS!!!

GO JETS, EAGLES, and FALCONS!!!

MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1951698

Fantasic move - it's a new day in Cardinal land boys and girls. A week 16 game with playoff implications - no core free agents that we can possibly lose (even Josh is a RFA) and a bright and sunny outlook towards the future.

Bravo Cards. Bravo!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Fantasic move - it's a new day in Cardinal land boys and girls. A week 16 game with playoff implications - no core free agents that we can possibly lose (even Josh is a RFA) and a bright and sunny outlook towards the future.

Bravo Cards. Bravo!

:raccoon:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
So much for the player mutiny that somebody predicted.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
One thing the Cardinals have always seemed to do is sign a player or two to a new deal during the Christmas week. But usually it's minor deals but this move is HUGE!
Adrian Wilson is a top 5 safety in the NFL. Unlike Tim McDonald he will anchor the Cardinals secondary for the rest of his career.

Happy Holidays!
Tim

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
This is great - an early Christmas present! It's as big as geting a big-time free agent signing, because Wilson would have been a big-time free agent if we'd let him get away!

This is bound to have a positive effect around the locker room, and at just the right time--before our biggest road game of the year!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget the rule, can we take any of that caphit this year?

If not the caphit is 4.4 a year since our deals are almost always flat across the board so his would be 5 years 3.5 per year, and the bonus would count .9 per year, total of 4.4. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal, the franchise tag at that position was just over 4.1 million this year and will be higher next year.

Seems like a good deal to me, the bonus is low enough if for some reason Wilson doesn't work out, you can cut him in a couple of years and basically break even salary versus remaining cap hit. Assuming he does work out, you have him for 5 years.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hmm, a little pricey for my taste, but I'm glad it is done and we don't have to worry about it. Besides, as someone mentioned, I do believe we can take some of that cap hit this year, no?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Half the cap hit goes on this years cap.

Half of the total hit? I can believe we can put half of one year of bonus on it but not half of the cap hit total.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a way to introduce yourself to the board, roland. Newbies buy but you're excused. Good stuff.

That must have been released by Wilson's agent because the Cards have not released a report yet. I'll put it up as soon as I get it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Hmm, a little pricey for my taste, but I'm glad it is done and we don't have to worry about it. Besides, as someone mentioned, I do believe we can take some of that cap hit this year, no?

It's basically what it would have cost to franchise him, so if we believe he's a top 5 safety, that's what they get. I'm not sure he IS a top 5 safety but I think he's pretty close.

I like that we didn't let it get out of hand and tick him off so he left, kudos to Graves and co on the negotiations, and Green and Solomon on the coaching of Wilson this year, he's finally playing near his athletic ability.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not too far off the deal I said we should give him, I'm happy. We did overpay him some, so Rugby and johnh should be thrilled. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard