Wilson hit reviewed today on NFL Network

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
As usual Mike Pererra sticks up for the refs no matter what they call. Here is what he said:

2 things you can't do to a defenseless receiver:
1) you can't lower your head & hit with the crown of your helmet
2) you can't launch & lead with a forearm or neck
He said Wilson lead with a forearm!

The worst call of all was against the 'Niners. If that would have happened against us this board would have crashed all week.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
As usual Mike Pererra sticks up for the refs no matter what they call. Here is what he said:

The worst call of all was against the 'Niners. If that would have happened against us this board would have crashed all week.

I for one agree with call. Didn't like it, but it was the right call! If it happened to one of our receivers and wasn't called, I'd be emailing the NFL to complain about poor officiating. All-Pro Safety should know better and unfortunately, this show of bravado ended up costing us any chance for the win, save blocking the field goal.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't lead with a flipping forearm.

I self edited that. I sooooo wanted to use an F-Bomb there. We should get one free f-bomb a month.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
I for one agree with call. Didn't like it, but it was the right call! If it happened to one of our receivers and wasn't called, I'd be emailing the NFL to complain about poor officiating. All-Pro Safety should know better and unfortunately, this show of bravado ended up costing us any chance for the win, save blocking the field goal.

Bump for the Donald

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump for the Donald

I saw your post...don't agree with it. It DID happen to one of our TEs and you won't find nary a post from me complaining about that hit.

Adrian turned his shoulder and hit Heap with the back of his shoulder...he tried to hit him hard to dislodge the ball. NOTHING wrong with his hit. At all. I hope he does it again, and again and again.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw your post...don't agree with it. It DID happen to one of our TEs and you won't find nary a post from me complaining about that hit.

Adrian turned his shoulder and hit Heap with the back of his shoulder...he tried to hit him hard to dislodge the ball. NOTHING wrong with his hit. At all. I hope he does it again, and again and again.

I agree with donald. Wilson did not lead with his forearm. If Wilson starts thinking about things like getting a penalty before he tackles somebody he may as well hang up his cleats.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought it was a clean hit. I hate watching that guy on NFL network. He is a waste of time. i've only seen him admit to his refs being wrong once. and Ironically it was about that offensive PI call that went against todd heap in week 1.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

I think it did happen only a couple of minutes earlier in the game. Ray Lewis took a cheap head shot on Troy Bienneman. To make matters worse the ball was 5 yards behind him and completely uncatchable.

I think that was the whole problem with the call on Wilson. That they set precedent by not calling Lewis for the hit on the drive before. Was Wilson fined for his defense on the ball? I would guess no because it was a legal hit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't lead with a flipping forearm.

I self edited that. I sooooo wanted to use an F-Bomb there. We should get one free f-bomb a month.

My dear God, you are so right. I saw Perrera's explanation and I leaped out of my chair screaming,"WHERE DID HE LEAD WITH A FOREARM AND HE DID NOT HIT HIM IN THE NECK?".

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score

What I get a kick out of is all the other "officiating" calls they reviewed they showed the reply over and over from different angles and cirlced/pointed out why they were a foul. With ours they said he hit him in the neck with the forearm, but the didn't show any replay or other angles of the hit, which tells me they knew they blew it but weren't about to admit it

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this even matter anymore?

It mattered enough for NFL network to discuss it today. Maybe that means it's okay for fans to talk about it too?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was a clean hit. I hate watching that guy on NFL network. He is a waste of time. i've only seen him admit to his refs being wrong once. and Ironically it was about that offensive PI call that went against todd heap in week 1.
I have been wondering if that call was payback to Heap for screwing him in week 1.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I hate crap like this, its football, its a contact sport. Stop throwing flags for hard hits.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering if that call was payback to Heap for screwing him in week 1.

No. I think it's more like the infamous Rumsfeld speech.......

"There are things we think we see, but we don't see,
Then there are things that we don't see but we think we see,
and then there are things we see, and we know we see.......

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
What I get a kick out of is all the other "officiating" calls they reviewed they showed the reply over and over from different angles and cirlced/pointed out why they were a foul. With ours they said he hit him in the neck with the forearm, but the didn't show any replay or other angles of the hit, which tells me they knew they blew it but weren't about to admit it

You know why they didn't show any other angles? Because they didn't have any. This is one of the bad parts of instant replay. Certain games have more cameras, thus more angles. In fairness, each game should be covered the same by each network. Will they get a great shot on every game, no. Do you think that all the Cowpies games get covered like the Cards games? Unless the game means something in the standings, the Cards, Lions and the other teams without huge followings get screwed!!!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know why they didn't show any other angles? Because they didn't have any. This is one of the bad parts of instant replay. Certain games have more cameras, thus more angles. In fairness, each game should be covered the same by each network. Will they get a great shot on every game, no. Do you think that all the Cowpies games get covered like the Cards games? Unless the game means something in the standings, the Cards, Lions and the other teams without huge followings get screwed!!!

I know there was more than 1 angle. They showed the one where it was impossible to tell how he was hit. There was another from a reverse angle that showed Wilson slamming into Heap's chest with his shoulder pad. There was no question from that angle.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say that I don't think it was a penalty. But here's the problem I have. Everyone is trying so hard to get on "Jacked Up" that they don't wrap up anymore. If AW just give him a "old Fashion" hard hit and wraps him there is no penalty and you have just as good of a chance of dislodging the ball.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
FWIW,Perriera never said that Wilson led with his forearm. Look at what he said. He said that was what was called. He didn't say that is actually what happened. I think that is why they went over it real quick and never showed any close replays. I'm sure if Wilson led with his forearm they would have showed it and explained why that was the proper call.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I watched the segment too, and lost all respect for the the head judge. Almost all of his explanations were pure BS. The proper answer for almost all of the highlights should have been, "Our ref screwed up, sorry."

By the way, when I first saw the ADub hit, I thought he led with the forearm. After watching the replay several times, I no longer think he did. His arm flys up after the hit, which makes it appear that it was involved. As others have mentioned, there wasn't a great camera angle available, so, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the ref who made the initial call without the benefit of multiple super-slow replays.

If I was a 49er fan, I would be freaking irate. How in the world does that play get over-turned???

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, Rod Woodson still thinks it was a bogus call.

Whatshisface on the radio this morning said AW had been fined for the hit. :shock:

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say that I don't think it was a penalty. But here's the problem I have. Everyone is trying so hard to get on "Jacked Up" that they don't wrap up anymore. If AW just give him a "old Fashion" hard hit and wraps him there is no penalty and you have just as good of a chance of dislodging the ball.

That's what I'm talking a'bout! Play Smart and WIN!

Jim O

Reaction score
Just an FYI.

Mike P never said that the call was correct on the field. He went over the rules for a defenseless receiver and at the end said that "leading with the forearm to the neck area" is what was called. He never said that the call was correct or incorrect.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn