Will Cardinals have a winning season? Poll - Following training camp and preseason

Will Cardinals have a winning season (9 wins or more) in 2021

• 9 Wins or more

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • 8 Wins or less

Votes: 57 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking we finish the season with a range of 7-10 wins, 9-8 to give a specific total. I'd fire both Kliff and Keim after that.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It shouldn’t be influenced by the outcome of the second game of the preseason, not influenced by anything in it? That’s kind of silly. If that were true why would coaches have anyone but the worst dregs on the team play? For those poo-pooing data coming outta these games, I’m sorry, you are completely missing the boat. These are practices, but with heightened stakes as you’re playing people that don’t know the plays or tendencies. In other words, it’s much higher litmus test for who can play and who can’t, at what level expectations should be set, and an opportunity for coaches to iron out game management, etc.
Kyler Murray said it best, “the preseason isn’t real.” You don’t have full lineups. You aren’t calling actual plays from the playbook. Players are going half-speed (Chase admitted this last week).

All you have to do is look back to the previous regime to remember that the preseason is fools gold.

Remember Wilk’s one and only season? I do. I remember watching the starters look super effective as they won 1, then 2, then 3 in a row in the preseason as they laid the smack down on the Cowboys. Everyone was buying into what Wilks was selling.

Then we all saw what happened when the lights actually turned on. Would we have all preferred the first team (at least those from the first team who played) to have scored a TD and then sat? Of course. But we shouldn’t get too high or low after a single game, actually make that a single quarter, especially in a PRESEASON game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kyler Murray said it best, “the preseason isn’t real.” You don’t have full lineups. You aren’t calling actual plays from the playbook. Players are going half-speed (Chase admitted this last week).

All you have to do is look back to the previous regime to remember that the preseason is fools gold.

Remember Wilk’s one and only season? I do. I remember watching the starters look super effective as they won 1, then 2, then 3 in a row in the preseason as they laid the smack down on the Cowboys. Everyone was buying into what Wilks was selling.

Then we all saw what happened when the lights actually turned on. Would we have all preferred the first team (at least those from the first team who played) to have scored a TD and then sat? Of course. But we shouldn’t get too high or low after a single game, actually make that a single quarter, especially in a PRESEASON game.
It's definitely a good idea to temper any enthusiasm or panic surrounding preseaason games. That is good perspective. Still, it's hard to watch Kyler make a stupid mistake he should make in NO game ever (running out of bounds for a 2-yard loss instead of throwing it away--this is truly unconscionable by any but a horrific QB) and having poor ball security, Kirk dropping a first-down ball, Conner dancing like a deer on roller skates, etc etc...it's hard to watch all that and not be down on the team.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a good idea to temper any enthusiasm or panic surrounding preseaason games. That is good perspective. Still, it's hard to watch Kyler make a stupid mistake he should make in NO game ever (running out of bounds for a 2-yard loss instead of throwing it away--this is truly unconscionable by any but a horrific QB) and having poor ball security, Kirk dropping a first-down ball, Conner dancing like a deer on roller skates, etc etc...it's hard to watch all that and not be down on the team.
+1

Reaction score
KK is a gimmick... I think MB and SK have become running/drinking buddies since their divorces. I think its a couple of guys with this close bond who look at each other and smile when whatever idea they came up with the night before (over a few drinks, a cigar, and tail running around the house) presents itself. IE-"JJ is getting released... If I can bring him in, he can provide leadership we are missing on that D..." "Awesome Stevie, let me call the hanger and get the plane fueled up- this will make for an awesome 1st episode of flight plan..."

Sorry, but when I look around the league (and I do get personal exposure to executives and coaches), they have a much different way they conduct business. I think SK would do well in the right established organization, but he is only here doing the smart thing for his career/income at this point.

We are a top 20-25 organization, which I guess is an improvement from bottom of the barrel.... Is there a Michael Bidwill Jr waiting in the wings and being groomed??? :D

Huh? Neither one are divorced.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
MB never married although has bizarre relationships like his current one with a former good friends ex-wife.

The overweight drunk and his wife live in separate homes so while not “divorced” may as well be.
Tell us how you really feel!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MB never married although has bizarre relationships like his current one with a former good friends ex-wife.

The overweight drunk and his wife live in separate homes so while not “divorced” may as well be.

mao’s hit and run posts have become like this board’s version of NBC’s Must See TV back in the day.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think of NBC in the early 1970s , when SNL had a house band called The Not Ready For Primetime Players , sadly that is what I think of when I see our team on the playing field !!!

Reaction score

I knew Michael wasn't married so he's not divorced but I haven't read anything about Keim & his wife having separate living arrangements. You would think local sports guys would write an article about it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth I thought we wouldn't have a great year before preseason. My vote here isn't effected in any way by what I saw in PS game 2.

The reason is simple. Kliff's career record against teams with a winning record is 7-44 or 13%. That's trash.

His whole college career he had top 25 offenses, last year he had a top 10 offense, and yet he's still only 7-44.

We play at least 11 games next season against teams that are highly likely to have winning records. Rams, Niners and Seahawks twice plus Green Bay, Titans, Browns, Colts, Cowboys (The cowboys are in a weak division, have Dak back, Lamb looks fire, and Quinn will have the D better).

The Vikings and Bears are also possibles.

Going off his career average he would win 1 of those games. Leaving only 6 more possible wins. Sadly, also has a tendency to get beat by bad teams (Lions, Panthers, Patriots with a corpse at QB, Rams with some QB I can't remember, Niners with Beathard).

He's shown us what he is. I don't see how he's suddenly going to become a guy that can beat good teams when he never has been.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I knew Michael wasn't married so he's not divorced but I haven't read anything about Keim & his wife having separate living arrangements. You would think local sports guys would write an article about it.
Why would sports guy be talking about his personal life?

But it's correct that he bought a smaller house nearby last July (under his name only, not joint ownership). Owner-occupied. She lives in their original house in Chandler.