Will Burfict be drafted?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Reports are now that by the end of the combine, Burfict might not even be draftable. Poor interviews. Poor shape. Just ran an unofficial 4.93 (and times have been coming very fast).

I don't think this will be the case, but I have a hard time seeing him being drafted before the 4th or 5th round at this rate. For those who question this, what is going to change?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports are now that by the end of the combine, Burfict might not even be draftable. Poor interviews. Poor shape. Just ran an unofficial 4.93 (and times have been coming very fast).

I don't think this will be the case, but I have a hard time seeing him being drafted before the 4th or 5th round at this rate. For those who question this, what is going to change?

Well, I didn't think he belonged in the first 3 rounds just from watching him play in college. His combine effort just seals the deal IMO.

Steve

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Followed by a 5.10

Look, character issues + low work ethic + lack of instincts + lack of athletic ability = draft freefall.

I would still take a shot in the 5th or later, but I can't justify him any earlier if this continues.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was saying this months ago. I thought he would spiral down the draft boards once teams started interviewing.

And those combine times are not surprising. He looked rather doughy for ASU last year and his "sideline to sideline" speed was only reflected in late hits. Even if you ignore his attitude, he was a very mediocre player last year on the field, worse than mediocre when you factor in all the penalties.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Followed by a 5.10

Look, character issues + low work ethic + lack of instincts + lack of athletic ability = draft freefall.

I would still take a shot in the 5th or later, but I can't justify him any earlier if this continues.

I've been down on the guy for awhile. IMO, even without the rage issues, the only reason this guy was drawing any interest at all was because of his freshman season.

Steve

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
I'd take him in the 4th if he was there. Most players taken after the 3rd round are gambles of one kind or another. Burfict showed one season that some things going well he could be one heck of a ILB.

We have a need at SILB and I like this guy's game when I see him on tape. The coaches would have to evaluate his character in the interviews (if they decided he was good enough for an interview) they have with him (I wouldnt simply go on what the media spouts). However I dont this organization ever drafting a kid with this many question marks around him

In short I like a fair bit of him as a player but I could never this organization taking him.

Dont be surprised if they Patriots, Jets or Cowboys take him in the 3rd/4th though.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the 6th round and beyond they are all unlikely to make the team...so teams will take wild shots on character guys.....

He will be drafted.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I worry about guys like him and James Harrison. They clearly have anger issues. They have a propensity for violence. I find myself wondering what will become of them when a legal means for getting out their aggression (football) is taken away from them.

I hope the kid turns it around, but it is clear he still doesn't get it. Talent has carried him this far in life, but at the next level, talent alone isn't enough. If he doesn't get that through his skull, he doesn't seem to have a shot at amounting to anything, because his work ethic this far has been abysmal.

At this rate, I am hoping he lands in the right situation where a coach can take the time to break him down and build him up into a real man. His answers at the Combine were so immature, however, I think he just dropped off of 20 teams boards entirely.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd take him in the 4th if he was there. Most players taken after the 3rd round are gambles of one kind or another. Burfict showed one season that some things going well he could be one heck of a ILB.

We have a need at SILB and I like this guy's game when I see him on tape. The coaches would have to evaluate his character in the interviews (if they decided he was good enough for an interview) they have with him (I wouldnt simply go on what the media spouts). However I dont this organization ever drafting a kid with this many question marks around him

In short I like a fair bit of him as a player but I could never this organization taking him.

Dont be surprised if they Patriots, Jets or Cowboys take him in the 3rd/4th though.

Would you take him above Bobbie Massie, Levy Adock or Bruce Irvin? Or maybe ahead of AJ Jenkins, Chris Rainey, LeMichael James or Nick Toon? These are the players that you would probably be passing on.

Monty

Reaction score
Would you take him above Bobbie Massie, Levy Adock or Bruce Irvin? Or maybe ahead of AJ Jenkins, Chris Rainey, LeMichael James or Nick Toon? These are the players that you would probably be passing on.

Says you right now. Look there is no way any of us knows who is gonna be drop to round 4 come draft time. Its all pretty much useless and baseless speculation at this point.

Here is my two cents worth. Bobby Massie and Bruce Irving will be long gone by 4th round. Both have performed very well at the combine and will likely shoot up the boards. I think Adcock is gone too and so is LaMichael James. I watch a lot of Big Ten football and i'm not a big fan of Toon so if I have the option of taking a questionable talent at a position we are Ok in (#3 receiver which is what Toon is at best) or take a talented guy with a questionable character at a position of major need in Burfict, ill take Burfict. I like AJ Jenkins and if both of him and Burfict are there itd be a 50/50 decision but i'd lean towards Burfict because his position is so hard to fill whereas WR is not so much.

In short none of us of have any idea who will be there when we are picking in the 4th but i'd be willing to take Burfict if he is there.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I worry about guys like him and James Harrison. They clearly have anger issues. They have a propensity for violence. I find myself wondering what will become of them when a legal means for getting out their aggression (football) is taken away from them.

I hope the kid turns it around, but it is clear he still doesn't get it. Talent has carried him this far in life, but at the next level, talent alone isn't enough. If he doesn't get that through his skull, he doesn't seem to have a shot at amounting to anything, because his work ethic this far has been abysmal.

At this rate, I am hoping he lands in the right situation where a coach can take the time to break him down and build him up into a real man. His answers at the Combine were so immature, however, I think he just dropped off of 20 teams boards entirely.

What other than a scuffle in a locker with a teammate, which was mentioned on the NFL Network, is there in this kid's background that causes people to discuss him as though he were a criminal?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
What other than a scuffle in a locker with a teammate, which was mentioned on the NFL Network, is there in this kid's background that causes people to discuss him as though he were a criminal?

Let's be honest. There are a few people in this world that you can just look at and safely say, "That guy just ain't right".

Not calling him a criminal, just an idiot. And in life, idiots can be easily exploited and get into trouble. His aggression on the field was never limited to the whistles. He took cheap shots. He admits that he likes to hurt people. That may be okay on the field, but can he switch it off? Some athletes can't, especially the dumb ones.

And let's face it, his IQ appears to be abysmally low. His mouth isn't connected to his brain, per his interview at the Combine. What about the rest of his body? In the incident you mentioned, he gets shoved by a teammate 60 lbs lighter than him and his first reaction is to take a swing at the him? Really? That propensity for violent escalation won't serve him very well in life.

Everyone associated with ASU agrees he was a cancer in the locker room and a terrible teammate. There was relief on that team when he declared for the draft. He was gone.

Of course, none of these character issues necessarily means he will be a criminal. But they don't bode well for his other career prospects either. If he doesn't have football, what other purpose can he serve in society? I am hoping he finds that answer during his epic fall in the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so... he's a MAJOR head case, looked like crap on the field last year and tested horrendously athletically speaking at the combine... and anyone here is still talking about taking him in the fourth or fifth round? i don't get it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so... he's a MAJOR head case, looked like crap on the field last year and tested horrendously athletically speaking at the combine... and anyone here is still talking about taking him in the fourth or fifth round? i don't get it.

Duh! He went to ASU.. Simple as that! :p

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just posted on the BRS that he presented a dilemma to scouts & coaches, because - if his problems are mainly due to immaturity and can be straightened out - many coaches and scouts will be kicking themselves for passing up a future Pro Bowl LB.

Then he goes out and runs approx a 5.0.

Go figure.

Monty

Reaction score

I cant speak for others but here are my reasons. firstly, there are reports of him having character issues but i've yet to see one that argues he is a major head case as you put so i'm not sure where you're getting from. Secondly we know little of the guy and id trust the assessments that coaches get from interviewing and assessing the guy on a personal level than what some reporters or message board experts say of his attitude. If he is a James Harrison, Brandon Spikes, Nick Fairley type character that is very aggressive then I have no problem taking him.

When it comes to his play this year I cant disagree that it was disappointing to say the least. However, he was an absolute monster the year before. I have a nephew that is a graduate assistant at a Big 12 school who is obsessed with watching any film that he can get his hands on and from time to time I watch with him. In watching the Burfict of 2010 I saw a lot of what I look for in a SILB linebacker. He is fast, he diagnoses plays early, can absolutely thump and was pretty good in coverage. In short his sideline to sideline play was very very good.

When you are looking at a guy that you take in the 4th round you are always gambling to a relative degree. You dont get any surefire starters there. Burficts poor 2011 season will make it gamble but his freshman season showed his tremendous upside.

Too many people get obsessed with the combine. The combine is only a brief snapshot of someone's athleticism and shows very little of what the guy can actually do on the field. His disappointing time should be taken into account but shouldnt be a major factor in his decision making. Not necessarily comparing the two but a lot of people were saying they wouldnt touch Brandon Spikes before the 4th or 5th round in 2010 due to his combine performances and look how that turned out.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a headcase for several reasons. He is clearly not emotionally under control during games to the point that he has broken down in tears in between his tantrums. He tried to beat the crap out of a teammate for "bumping him" (Burfict's own words) during practice... the teammate? A 6 foot tall, skinny, walk on receiver, a bump from that guy made a 260 lb linebacker lose his cool?

And as for his combine times, I dont think they are a fluke at all. He is not some cut monster, the dude became a chub in college. The guy is NOT the athletic freak that people make him out to be. He has absolutely no work either and regressed as a player both mentally and physically since his freshmen year. And who does he blame for these problems? The media (who have been overly kind in my opinion), the refs, his coaches, but absolutely none of the blame falls on him, in his opinion he has done nothing wrong.

His play last year did not warrant being drafted at all, his attitude is even worse than his play, he looks like he has "let him self go" rather than get in shape for the combine, he takes no responsibility for any of his issues.

He is an undraftable player in my opinion. He will be out of the league within a few years and I wouldnt even want his attitude in the looker room.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, he just took himself COMPLETELY off many teams' draft boards. I wouldn't even risk a 7th round compensatory pick (if we get one) on Burfict. Liability is an understatement.

Nothing good came out of his last season in college and the combine.

Monty

Reaction score
His play last year did not warrant being drafted at all, his attitude is even worse than his play, he looks like he has "let him self go" rather than get in shape for the combine, he takes no responsibility for any of his issues.

He is an undraftable player in my opinion. He will be out of the league within a few years and I wouldnt even want his attitude in the looker room.

He weighed in at 248lbs (down from the 260lbs he played at) at the combine not quite sure how you determine that is ''letting himself go''.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He weighed in at 248lbs (down from the 260lbs he played at) at the combine not quite sure how you determine that is ''letting himself go''.

Well, he certainly didnt look to be in his best shape, and his results reflected it.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

So he lost weight and still ran slow? Yeah, that is a pretty big red flag.