Why we need to trade the Laker's pick

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we can get decent value for it now, I would consider trading it. Here is why:

It is top 5 protected, so it won't be REALLY good. If the Lakers are really bad next year, which is very possible, they retain the pick, have the #7 pick from this year, and a boatload of free agency money. They could turn it around in 2015/16. If we can use it to get a productive player, it will likely net us more than just keeping the pick.

If it ends up in the mid-first round, its not worth much at all. Our best case scenario is it being the #6 pick next year. After that its just too risky. So if we treat it as the #6 pick in next year's draft and we are offered something for it on that level, we should take it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Our best case scenario is it being the #6 pick next year. After that its just too risky. So if we treat it as the #6 pick in next year's draft and we are offered something for it on that level, we should take it.

Well, sure, but why would another team give up #6-value for that pick, when you've just said that it will very likely be worth less than that? If another team held that same pick, how much would you expect the Suns to give up for it? Not much, I reckon.

It's not as though the mediocre value of the Lakers pick is a big secret. There's no advantage to trading away a low-quality asset just for the privilege of being rid of it. Unless you're going to get something better in return, you might as well hold onto it and see if it appreciates.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think trading the Lakers 2015 pick plus incentives for their #7 pick this year is a decent idea for both teams.

Lakers would trade down to get multiple picks and get their future pick back. #18 and #27 and 2015 for #7. That is similiar value as in past draft trades for Trey Burke or Eddie Griffin.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think trading the Lakers 2015 pick plus incentives for their #7 pick this year is a decent idea for both teams.

Lakers would trade down to get multiple picks and get their future pick back. #18 and #27 and 2015 for #7. That is similiar value as in past draft trades for Trey Burke or Eddie Griffin.

Yes. I think there is merit in an idea like this, especially if there is a player we really want on the board at #7.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

You've said this before, and I disagreed with you then too. The Lakers believe themselves to be in win-now mode and will look for the closest they can get to an immediate impact player. They aren't trading down. They'll have to do a complete rebuild once Bryant retires, so late first-round picks in 2014 have virtually no value to them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've said this before, and I disagreed with you then too. The Lakers believe themselves to be in win-now mode and will look for the closest they can get to an immediate impact player. They aren't trading down. They'll have to do a complete rebuild once Bryant retires, so late first-round picks in 2014 have virtually no value to them.

agreed. there's no way in hell they do that pick...especially with them not even getting our 14th pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their fans disagree. There is a general consensus that they would trade #7 for #14 and #18, or that they would do the deal that Slin mentioned. Of course, that is only fan's opinions.

The problem is that the difference in talent between #7 and #14 in this draft is not huge, and the Lakers are in need of lots of assets.

Personally, I would trade 14 and 18 for 7 without thinking too long. We just don't need three rookies.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They aren't in win-now mode, and they know it. They might be putting on a brave face for their fans, but they can't be that stupid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their fans disagree. There is a general consensus that they would trade #7 for #14 and #18, or that they would do the deal that Slin mentioned. Of course, that is only fan's opinions.

The problem is that the difference in talent between #7 and #14 in this draft is not huge, and the Lakers are in need of lots of assets.

Personally, I would trade 14 and 18 for 7 without thinking too long. We just don't need three rookies.

If you're sold on Aaron Gordon, this would make a lot of sense. But if you're not, I don't see anyone that's worth a premium. I just can't see Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Vonleh or Exum falling out of the top six spots. I'd rather trade into future drafts then give away picks.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They aren't in win-now mode, and they know it. They might be putting on a brave face for their fans, but they can't be that stupid.

I think they are that stupid. They dont throw Kobe that dumb contract if they dont plan on pushing for titles the next couple years. Jerry's kid, by all accounts, is a bit of a doofus, and we saw first hand from 2010-2013 what happens when an owner is in denial about his franchises ability to compete.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think they are that stupid. They dont throw Kobe that dumb contract if they dont plan on pushing for titles the next couple years.

Right, exactly. You can't rebuild around a 36-year-old shooting guard making $24 million a year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they gave Kobe Bryant a 48 million dollar extension without even having seen him play a game after he tore his achilles. They are assuredly THAT stupid.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they gave Kobe Bryant a 48 million dollar extension without even having seen him play a game after he tore his achilles. They are assuredly THAT stupid.

Thats good news then, I guess.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Lakers '15 protected first round pick is more valuable than the Suns unprotected '15 first round pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Lakers '15 protected first round pick is more valuable than the Suns unprotected '15 first round pick.

Not sure about that, I am sure many GMs think we had a fluke year this season and that might very well be the case. I expect next season to be much more difficult to manage than last season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that, I am sure many GMs think we had a fluke year this season and that might very well be the case. I expect next season to be much more difficult to manage than last season.

The consensus around the NBA is the Suns could have easily been in the playoffs and been a team no one wanted to face. After the Suns' deals last year, GMs are more reluctant to deal with the Suns and will be careful to inspect every single trade they may or may not make with McDonough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The consensus around the NBA is the Suns could have easily been in the playoffs and been a team no one wanted to face. After the Suns' deals last year, GMs are more reluctant to deal with the Suns and will be careful to inspect every single trade they may or may not make with McDonough.

It's nice to have confidence in the Suns GM again. The Lance Blanks years were hard to endure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson