Why We Have OL Problems

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought it was a no brainer that our first round draft pick would be for an OT. Unless we traded for the Washington (Williams) OT who is demanding a trade. But now, it seems that we need a #1 WR that can grow with KM. Or a pass rusher like the OSU guy (Young). So, I admit I'm confused, since all three are valid needs, but, once again, I can see the offensive line taking a back seat. Reminds me of the time that we had to choose between OL (Ogden) and DL (sorry, brain cramp), and we went DL.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m all for buying my offensive line in the offseason. They’ve become the biggest gamble in the draft.

Draft the best defensive player on the board when we come up since we’re trading our 2nd for Diggs( I wish)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whoever is picking/signing them doesn't appear to have a very keen eye when it comes to them. The coaches change but the result remains the same.

That's why the Cards have OL problems seemingly forever IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You can trade for a WR. No one will trade you a good to great OT on purpose. I know people will post trades where this happened. I think the odds are better to draft OT, and then free agent or trade for WR.

Reaction score
This team needs a defensive stud and an offensive lineman and a fast WR.

I’m not sure of order of preference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a no brainer that our first round draft pick would be for an OT. Unless we traded for the Washington (Williams) OT who is demanding a trade. But now, it seems that we need a #1 WR that can grow with KM. Or a pass rusher like the OSU guy (Young). So, I admit I'm confused, since all three are valid needs, but, once again, I can see the offensive line taking a back seat. Reminds me of the time that we had to choose between OL (Ogden) and DL (sorry, brain cramp), and we went DL.

Remember Ogden specifically told the Cards not to draft him or he'd hold out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team needs a defensive stud and an offensive lineman and a fast WR.

I’m not sure of order of preference.

Exactly we need all 3 so have to pick the best guy on the board when we pick at any of those positions. I love Chase Young but i think we probably need an interior lineman even more, and it's too high for that. We desperately need help on both the OL and at Wr. It sounds crazy when you pick 3 WR's but right now the only one contributing as a WR is the 6th rounder. Add a kid like Jeudy and this offense looks much better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler has started to “ make” this o- line a little better. They are learning how to play in front of him.

That being said we need to add to this o- line. To bad Butler can’t return this year just to see if he can develop into a bonafide wr.

How much better will this defensive front be with PP returning? Or when Alford is available?

We have to plan on Suggs being gone next year. So we need to replace him with an impact player be it draft or free agent. It will cost a lot of money to buy one so I think the draft is where we’ll fill that hole.

Add a veteran free agent o- lineman. First two picks LB/ wr.
There may be a wr available in free agency.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We just drafted 3 WR a few months ago. Give them a minute to grow into the NFL.
We just need to spend a couple years drafting virtually nothing but the trenches. OL and DL all day. The other stuff can figure itself out. We have RB's.
We have QB. We have usable TE's. We have a good secondary once our starters are in the house.
Our linemen however, are pedestrian at all positions. All 8 of them. Get that upgraded where possible, as often as possible.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Whoever is picking/signing them doesn't appear to have a very keen eye when it comes to them. The coaches change but the result remains the same.

That's why the Cards have OL problems seemingly forever IMO.

The team has a staff with the sole purpose of evaluating college talent. The question becomes are they that bad at evaluating line talent or is Keim like Trump, he doesn't listen to anyone else thinking he was a lineman and he knows better than the rest.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That kid from Ohio State is a menace. Chase Young I think.

Jerry Jeudy is also the #1 we need. If he is the Julio / AJ Green hybrid people say, it would be hard to pass that up.

I think OT's and OG's will come in rounds 2 and 3. Especially if we trade back.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
O line and d line should always be the number 1 priority

look at sf - they drafted d line Thomas, Buckner and Bosa and QBs are running for their lives

football is won in the trenches
Fans love the wr and rbs whim are replaceable

Show me an amazing rb and I’ll show u 2 all pro lineman on that team

Keim has failed to get o and d lineman.
The most notable ,for me, was when Pouncy came available and with Shipley at C he did nothing..:and with a decent ...not great deal Chargers got him and he’s all pro

cards o line is horrible same for d line

Cards o line was tore up by a bad cincy line...add to it 6 holding 4 block in the back and 3 false starts....sucks isn’t the word for them...no that’s way way way to nice

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
O line and d line should always be the number 1 priority

look at sf - they drafted d line Thomas, Buckner and Bosa and QBs are running for their lives

football is won in the trenches
Fans love the wr and rbs whim are replaceable

Show me an amazing rb and I’ll show u 2 all pro lineman on that team

Keim has failed to get o and d lineman.
The most notable ,for me, was when Pouncy came available and with Shipley at C he did nothing..:and with a decent ...not great deal Chargers got him and he’s all pro

cards o line is horrible same for d line

Cards o line was tore up by a bad cincy line...add to it 6 holding 4 block in the back and 3 false starts....sucks isn’t the word for them...no that’s way way way to nice
Keim took Cooper...... But didn't go after Decastro. The dude makes no sense to me. I wouldn't trust him to make the right call at this point.

Jeudy could be Julio level...... that you can see, project, and use immediately.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim took Cooper...... But didn't go after Decastro. The dude makes no sense to me. I wouldn't trust him to make the right call at this point.

Jeudy could be Julio level...... that you can see, project, and use immediately.
Because Keim wasn’t the GM in 2012. Decastro was in the 2012 Draft.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He didn't go for DeCastro and there were more than a few that agreed that the Cards needed a #2 W/O to free up Fitz.

The decision wasn't made in a vacuum.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Because Keim wasn’t the GM in 2012. Decastro was in the 2012 Draft.
To say he wasn't in charge of the draft, or the head of the snake in the draft room during the 2012 draft is a bit wrong IMO. Graves was there, yes.... but cmon.... he was Director of Player personnel then VP of Player Personnel since 2008.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He didn't go for DeCastro and there were more than a few that agreed that the Cards needed a #2 W/O to free up Fitz.

The decision wasn't made in a vacuum.
Agreed, No vacuum. But by making that argument, it allows us to make the same argument now regarding SK. He has been the head of the snake for over a decade. With Rod Graves overseeing him from 08 to 12.

Michael Floyd was a pick just as bad as the other 1st round blunders. I was shouting Decastro from the rooftops. And it would have saved us from drafting Cooper next.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kid from Ohio State is a menace. Chase Young I think.

Jerry Jeudy is also the #1 we need. If he is the Julio / AJ Green hybrid people say, it would be hard to pass that up.

I think OT's and OG's will come in rounds 2 and 3. Especially if we trade back.

Yeah I don't watch near as much college football as I used to but so far IMO Young and Jeudy are the best players in the draft. Young is not as mechanically sound but more athletic than Bosa, and Jeudy is just REALLY good. Alabama actually has 3 NFL prospect Wr's on their roster and 2 of them figure to be in this draft. I think Jeudy is top 2 talent but may not go that high because you have 2 teams at the top in Cincy and Miami that are probably going to draft a QB although that depends I guess on how well Josh Rosen finishes out the year(he played well in the last game).

So then you have Young, Jeudy, Thomas the OL. If PP comes back strong maybe we can not have to look at Okudah the CB who looks really good. Simmons is currently the best projected LB but I don't think he is a sure thing he may be a tweener he's both a SS and a LB right now. Great player, will probably be good, but he's not as big as you want at LB so there's some projection with him you have to do.

If the season ended today I think we pick 8th and would still get a good player, would not stun me if we end up a bit higher than that some of the teams above us have to play each other twice(Jets and Dolphins) and there are other things in play.

I think if we pick in the top 15 this year(we should) there's going to be a good player there I just hope whoever the GM is does their homework.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn