Why Suns fans should be rooting for the Spurs

Lorenzo

Reaction score
no way on earth i'll ever root for the spurs,i can even support l.a. against them.

go NOH!
I can't believe the thread even got started. seriously? I can't imagine many if any spurs fans rooting for the team that eliminated them. It's easy for GP to say now considering the suns haven't eliminated the spurs in years....and when they did eliminate them in the past neither team were winning championships. many spurs fans were still crying about the refs and cheering for the heat when dallas beat them. GP is one of the few spurs fans that could probably survive on this forum, but this thread is off the mark considering most fans don't have second to favorite teams.....and at that the team being a rival.

Last edited:

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
As I have said repeatedly (which you texas fans choose to ignore) is that there are a lot of NBA players who shoot around 60% from the ft line. I don't want to see this "strategy" to become a common tactic in the NBA during the playoffs. I simply don't want to watch boring basketball.

Having an expected return of 1.2 points each possession is absolutely fantastic. If a team chooses to foul a poor 60% FT shooter every time down the court, it is equivalent to playing absolutely horrible defense for the entire game. You are essentially allowing the opposition to score on 60% of their posessions and killing any chance you have on fast breaks, while putting your guys in foul trouble. If teams try to use this all the time, good luck to them.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
The common cold has an impact on me.
I have an impact on some people.
Even other Spurs fans are embarrased by you.
A common cold has an impact on you without you ever contacting it? Perhaps you should go see a doctor.

And what other Spurs fans are embarrassed by me? Do you go play poker with them once in a while? I just wonder what other people talk about during their time, I could imagine the following conversation.

justAndy: Dude man, I am being impacted by this ambchang_ character, he is like a common cold. I actually got a cold without ever physically contacting the common cold. You know, I just randomly fall sick. Anyways, this ambchang_ character ....

Spurs fan #1: Yeah, I am a Spurs fan, I am embarrassed by him. I mean, we root for the same team, and I don't agree with him, so I am embarrassed. I feel Bowen is dirty, Horry is a thug, and the Suns are the greatest team ever, but I am a Spurs fan.

Spurs fan #2: True dat, I feel the same way towards ambchang_. What a moron.

Last edited:

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
you just commented on my other post WIN AT ALL COST.

Deal with it, it is bad for the game and the rule should be changed.

Why now? Because Shaq is a sun? Hack a shaq has been used for at least a decade. Why didn't anybody ask to change it when Don Nelson was using it? Why nobody asked to change it when Phil Jackson was asking his guys to hack Bowen? Why now? Why did they not have to nip the problem at it's roots back then?

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
lol @ this pathetic excuse for a life still posting on our forum..

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Wait...how are they "the team of the decade?"

They won titles 3 times this decade. So did the Lakers.

I think the "team of the decade" is still up for grabs and Kobe & Pau (this season) and Kobe, Pau, Bynum (next season) have something to say about laying claim to that moniker for the next few years.

Because one team was in the playoffs every year this decade and has the highest winning % of all teams in any of the 4 major sports to go along with those 3 titles, and the other didn't?

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Titles. 3 and 3.

Spurs aren't the team of the decade by any stretch. They got one in a strike shortened season. In 1999.

More wins? Who cares? It is TITLES. Dallas had more wins than anyone last year and what did it get them? Baron's beard in their face.

Wins are NOTHING. Ask Suns fans. They had great winning seasons...they would trade them in a heartbeat for a title. Titles matter. And right now, the Spurs and Lakers in the 2000's are tied at 3-3.

Unless we change the definition of "decades" and "champions" neither team has the upper hand. Shaqless? Who cares? It's a media term. How many playoff wins do the Shaqless Heat have? The Shaqful suns? It means nothing.

If you want to count the 1999 title, the Spurs have 4 titles. So which one are you choosing? Just strictly 2000, or the last 10 years?

And wins are important in this aspect because *gasp*, they have the same number of titles? Should there be a tie-breaker? What tie-breaker would you suggest other than wins and playoffs made?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol @ this pathetic excuse for a life still posting on our forum..

He isn't breaking any rules. He is discussing basketball from his slanted point of view. If you don't want to read his stuff just put him on ignore.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
He isn't breaking any rules. He is discussing basketball from his slanted point of view. If you don't want to read his stuff just put him on ignore.

ya'll should update the ignore so the person on ignores name isn't visible.... he is on ignore..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
go anyone-playing-the-spurs-or-lakers-and-if-they-match-up-in-the-WCF-may-the-world-open-up-and-swallow-both-the-staples-center-and-the-at&t-center!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to count the 1999 title, the Spurs have 4 titles. So which one are you choosing? Just strictly 2000, or the last 10 years?

And wins are important in this aspect because *gasp*, they have the same number of titles? Should there be a tie-breaker? What tie-breaker would you suggest other than wins and playoffs made?

No, I'm saying that there is no "team of the decade" in the 2000s. And unless the Spurs or the Lakers roll off two more, there won't be.

You can say the Lakers in the 80s with five titles and the bulls in the 90s with 6 titles, but 3 titles in 10 years does NOT make you the team of the decade...and yes, the decade started in 2000.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
No, I'm saying that there is no "team of the decade" in the 2000s. And unless the Spurs or the Lakers roll off two more, there won't be.

You can say the Lakers in the 80s with five titles and the bulls in the 90s with 6 titles, but 3 titles in 10 years does NOT make you the team of the decade...and yes, the decade started in 2000.

Ahh, the voice of reason. :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ahh, the voice of reason. :thumbup:

If no teams wins more than 3, then you have to pick one at some point....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to pick one? What is this dopey Team of Decade anyway? Are you going to have t-shirts made or something?

Why? It is perfectly reasonable to NOT have any standout team of the decade. The 70s did not either. I think 8 teams won titles that decade.

Because we have awards for everything nowadays.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
Why now? Because Shaq is a sun? Hack a shaq has been used for at least a decade. Why didn't anybody ask to change it when Don Nelson was using it? Why nobody asked to change it when Phil Jackson was asking his guys to hack Bowen? Why now? Why did they not have to nip the problem at it's roots back then?

the diff is they are not using it as a tool to stay in the game. It takes away from the game like never before. (and I am a SUNS fan and I notice it more);)

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
the diff is they are not using it as a tool to stay in the game. It takes away from the game like never before. (and I am a SUNS fan and I notice it more);)

That is untrue, check history of hack-a-shaq (or any other player).

Don Nelson used Hack and Shaq in the middle of the game, and Jackson's Lakers hacked Bowen in the middle of the game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
haha ambchang actually showed up, hows your champions looking now? Old Sterns are going down hard!

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
No shame in losing to a better team. At least I am not going to cry about the league helping the Hornets with conspiracy theories or anything stupid like that.

The Hornets are playing very good defense right now, and they match up well with the Spurs. I know going into the series that the Spurs will have a tough time with the Hornets. I still believe and am not going to jump ship like certain bandwagon fans, crying to fire coaches and such when their team is down.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your an idiot, being blown out by a team is much different than squeaking by the Suns with the Refs help year after year!

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
I am an idiot for saying that there is no conspiracy for my team losing to another team, yet you are a genius for saying that the Spurs "squeaked" passed the Suns year after with the help of referees, despite:
2002-03: Lost to the Spurs in the 1st round in 6 games. Winning the two games by 1 (in OT) and 2 points, while losing the 4 games by 8, 13, 12 and 2 points.

04-05: Lost to the Spurs in WCF in 5 games. Winning the 1 game by 5 points, while losing the other 4 games by 7, 3, 10 and 6 points.

Losing to the Spurs in the 2nd round in 6 games. Winning two games by 20 and 6 points, while losing in the 4 games by 5, 7, 3, and 8 points.

Losing to the Spurs in the 1st round in 5 games. Winning one game by 19 points (when already down 0-3), wihle losing the other 4 by 2 points (2OT), 6, 16 and 5 points.

So other than last year, none of the series could be classified as particularly close, and the only controversy that ever happened was enforcing a rule that has been enforced for more than a decade.

So what specifically have the league done to help the Spurs in these 4 series? Care to elaborate?

And given that you obviously felt that the league is fixed, why would you even be so emotionally attached to this? Especially when you are such a smart person who can judge other's intelligence through the internet?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Why? It is perfectly reasonable to NOT have any standout team of the decade. The 70s did not either. I think 8 teams won titles that decade.
this is just a smokescreen. everyone not a lakers fan....even lakers fans that I do work with will acknowledge that the spurs are the team of the decade. I'll ask them if the one year is a big deal......like it is to donald apparantly. either way with or without the 99 title the spurs are still the team of the decade. when I say this I'm talking about the present. the spurs are the current team of the decade regardless of what year you count. I can't read the future I don't know who the next two champions are going to be.....maybe if I were a laker fan I'd have some sort of magic power like that.

Last edited: