Why Suns fans should be rooting for the Spurs

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
First--let me say that I know this is a difficult time for Suns fans. As a Suns fan myself (that is, my second favorite team being the Suns), I know that many Phoenix fans will probably look forward to seeing the Spurs knocked out of the playoffs as soon as possible.

This ia a normal reaction.

But if you think about it--as much as you hated the Spurs for last year's series, for a brief time now in the playoffs, you might consider rooting for San Antonio.

First--when you look at the Spurs/Suns series this year, you see that this series was so incredibly close--who would ever in their right mind would have guessed that Tim Duncan would have made a three point shot in the closing seconds of a game? Even more so when you consider that the play was not drawn up for Tim Duncan and had Shaq have been a couple of feet closer to Tim, Manu probably would not have even thrown the ball to Tim in the first place.

The SA/Suns series was not a typical five game affair. The final game was nip and tuck the entire game and the game may have been lost solely due to a Nash or Diaw turnover in the closing seconds.

After the game was over, Gregg Popovich himself stated that the series felt like an NBA Finals series that had gone to the seventh game.

With this premise in mind...

I think as much as you may detest SA--it is in Phoenix' best interest for latter contests to not have nearly the competitiveness that the Phoenix series did.

For one thing--it should be mentioned that other great NBA players like Grant Hill must look upon the Suns as an organization that could win a championship--that is so close to getting over the hump--and is a viable alternative to going to the Lakers, the Celtics, SA, etc.

This image will be reinforced the better the Phoenix/SA series is looked upon.

Moreover, I would think that it would bring some satisfaction if Phoenix played a better series than the Hornets or the Lakers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I respect you as a poster GP, but the Hornets are the team I want to win now. It doesn't matter if they play the Spurs or anyone else.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I rather watch the hornets against the lakers or jazz, less flopping, more athleticism. Unlike some suns fans, I dont hate the spurs, but I dont like watching them either. They seem to try to use the rules to the max, anything to gain an advantage, working the refs, flopping, slowing down the game. Using hack a shaq was just ugly for any fan of basketball. I like watching the Hornets with CP3, the jazz are a blast with DWil, and the lakers, well, I gotta admit, if they win it will bring a little validity to the idea that defensive teams dont always win. The lakers are OK defensively, but its their offense that is dominating(a bit like MJ's bulls). The lakers are an efficient team with a very deep bench, and the best player in the NBA. Close games at theend could be very exciting with the lakers. The bench of the lakers is a fun group to watch, I especially like farmar, and the bench guys really hustle. The spurs just seem like a team with 3 good players plus chaff, its gets old after awhile.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Nice post... but with one glaring flaw. The Lakers would have absolutely no interest in Grant Hill.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popovich's horrid abuse of the fouling rules has assured that I will not be rooting for the Spurs. I respect them as a team, but I want to watch basketball, not Shaq and Skinner shooting free throws.

I will be hoping for the Celtics so that KG and Ray Allen can get their rings.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I rather have the Lakers win than the Spurs. I never hated a team as much as I hate the Spurs.

Go Lakers!

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with nowagimp. I have tremendous respect for the spurs but watching them is like watching detroit. Booooooring! I do like Utah's squad and am a big fan of Sloan. But im a homer and hope to see the Lakers vs NO. I really think that would be an exciting series. In addition, you would have the whole "who really is the MVP" drama tagged on.

It really will be interesting seeing the CP3 vs Parker match up in the Hornets vs Spurs series though.

mingi

Reaction score
I want the Spurs out!!! whoever knock them out will be my second fave team in the NBA.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'll root for the (gasp) Lakers. Hornets - bleh.

Abomb and D-Dog will be be happy, I bet. :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nothing personal, I like your contributions to the board, but hate your team. Go Hornets!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I know many won't like this post..........but this is a ridiculous thread. I respect POP the poster and the coach. but seriously how can the suns be your second to favorite team? unless you are just trying to win over some suns fans here? and if indeed you actually root for another bball team consistently, besides the spurs, I question your loyalty as a fan of your team. for instance, I'm a mavs fan. In the 90's I rooted againt the bulls, therefore rooted for the underdog like most loyal fans rather than jumping on a wagon. I would probably root for steve nash and be happy if he won a title because I'm a fan of his. but I would not exactly be cheering for the suns. I definitely wouldn't cheer for SA. I definitely wouldn't expect suns fans to and wouldn't come on here telling them that they should. did you cheer for dallas after they knocked out SA? good on you if you did and you are being honest.

now for the rest of this thread....people whining about SA. Maybe someone else in the NBA will get a clue about winning a title and what it takes....hopefully in dallas or phoenix for your guys' sake. maybe when other teams and coaches realize that you have to do whatever it takes to get to the top and stay there.....like the spurs have done....maybe they will enjoy some success. I for one would hack shaq...hip check nash....argue with a ref....pass it to duncan for a buzzer beater....if all of those things were going to help my team win a title. but that's just me. I strongly dislike the spurs more than any other team. but I have enormous respect for them as a team.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
If it comes down to Lakers/Spurs I'll be sick.

I want the Jazz in the west, and the Celtics in the east.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Popovich's horrid abuse of the fouling rules has assured that I will not be rooting for the Spurs. I respect them as a team, but I want to watch basketball, not Shaq and Skinner shooting free throws.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Pop did what was necessary to win. He is a champion. Good for him.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really like Chris Paul. It will be interesting to see if the Hornets have more success against the Spurs than the Suns had 3 years ago, when we had the same sort of season that they had this year.

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
Gotta go with CP3 and the Hornets. No baggage there from previous years like the Suns and their fans have with the Lakers and Spurs. They're fun to watch which is way more than you can say about the Spurs

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I know many won't like this post..........but this is a ridiculous thread. I respect POP the poster and the coach. but seriously how can the suns be your second to favorite team? unless you are just trying to win over some suns fans here? and if indeed you actually root for another bball team consistently, besides the spurs, I question your loyalty as a fan of your team.

That's ridiculous. I am a Suns fan, and there have always been teams I liked to watch and wanted them to do well. Sacramento Kings (Bibby, Christie, Peja, Webber, Vlade, etc)were one of those teams, Orlando has been one of those teams. I don't see how liking another team and wanting them to do well is somehow not being loyal to your team.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
:thumbup:

We'll assimilate you all.. one by one. ;)

LOL, I love the Suns but I love Kobe who is the greatest player to play in the NBA since Air Jordan. Plus that team doesn't flop, they play good D and they play hard. Kobe is also a better team player now. Wish you all the luck and hope you win the title. Beat the Celtic thugs in the Finals and this season wouldn't be too bad.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. I am a Suns fan, and there have always been teams I liked to watch and wanted them to do well. Sacramento Kings (Bibby, Christie, Peja, Webber, Vlade, etc)were one of those teams, Orlando has been one of those teams. I don't see how liking another team and wanting them to do well is somehow not being loyal to your team.

Ditto. As a Laker fan i have no problems rooting for other teams i enjoy watching if my team should be ousted. Heck, even when being ousted by the Suns, i could easily root for them against the Spurs or Mav's because I have followed Nash's career since his Santa Clara days. How does my rooting for the suns (a rival) over the spurs (a rival) diminish my loyality or fanship for the Lakers. I just dont get it.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to me who wins. The team I'd like to see take it is Houston, but they are not that good and will be eliminated tomorrow night. I suppose New Orleans would be my next choice because of Byron Scott. I remember watching him at ASU.

The only consolation from the Spurs winning the West is that it would be the fourth consecutive year that the Suns lost to the team that won the conference title and went to the Finals. It doesn't make Phoenix look as bad.

Ideally, both the Lakers and Spurs will find a way to lose.

Here's to a Rockets/Magic Finals. Too bad it will never happen.