Why Lost works and Heroes doesn't

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was paid to write this article for a magazine that has folded before printing its debut issue. Perhaps it was because they paid people like me to write columns like this. I'm not posting the actual column, I'm posting the impromtu e-mail that was used as a pitch. I'm no lawyer, but I think I'm getting around copyright issues somehow. Consider me delusional (and extremely bored).

--------------

There's only one great mythology in all of humanity and that is the mythology of hope, that there is something greater than us that can prevent us from becoming our own worst fears. Without the story that tells us we are better than we seem, we are capable of being better, we have no hope.

Throughout the history of man we have told and retold this mythology, each generation choosing a difference cast of characters to reinforce the same morals that encourage us to get out of bed each morning, to discourage our wills from giving in to nihilism. From Greek epics to comic books, the storyteller has the same agenda.

That is both the intent and the appeal of epic TV series Lost and Heroes, but declining ratings for Heroes and the growing anticipation of the fourth season of Lost suggests one has failed in its intent while the other potentially has captured that primal magic.

Heroes is a world of supernatural human potential, where a select few are capable of performing feats that defy the laws of physics. It's not a new storytelling technique. In fact it's an old one. Very old. Some supernatural beings are chosen, some have their abilities foisted on them as a great burden, but it is always under the same premise.

What makes Heroes appealing as a mythology is its ability to tap into those old stories. The quests are epic -- they are asked to save humanity, facing villains of equal or perhaps even greater powers. We are not capable of saving ourselves, but these supernatural beings have messianic qualities in their blood. They are preternaturally disposed to give of themselves, and oh my what they have to offer in their service!

That is also the primary failing of Heroes. There are few (if any) Heroes that resemble us. They do not seem to have a failing conscience. When they break the natural laws of justice there is a reason, an excuse. When they will to break the natural laws of justice, it's because they are exclusively evil.

That's weak mythology.

Where Heroes fails, Lost stands victorious by giving us heroes that look like us and have no supernatural abilities on their own. In fact they are weak. They are each unwilling, thrown into a supernatural Hell they call an island, and are asked to make moral judgments every day in which their surivival is dependent.

The heroes of Lost are selfish, amoral, naive, weak, superficial, unfaithful, lacking any history of wisdom or worldly understanding. Yet strand them on an island and they are capable of becoming something else, something sacrificial, something heroic, sometimes in spite of their own will.

We recognize the heroes of Lost because they are us. Above all us, we recognize our weakness, our great shame: We all have a past full of regrets.

Where Heroes failes and Lost succeeds is by telling us these characters stories. They are familiar, but they are also poignant because the past is just a backdrop to the sacrifices these heroes are willing to make now. They are also willing to carry that shame into the present reality ... sometimes the heroes of Lost fail the natural law of justice because they are locked up in their own shame of their past. Like all great mythology, we are inherently forgiving, lest we damn ourselves as unforgiveable. We may not have made the same mistakes, but we know our own hearts and we know our hearts have betrayed our best intentions at times.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thewave:

That is some really great writing!

I don't watch heroes but you sure nailed why I watch Lost.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the writing, but disagree with the premise.

Ditto.

My first thought was...what if you think both work in their own way? Compared to each other they are very different, but I like both chocolate and vanilla ice cream, each on their own merits. :shrug:

You are a good writer though, Gad.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Heroes, but it's like rooting for an oft-injured athlete. The premise of Heroes appeals to me, but most episodes perform hollow for me because of the reason I mentioned above. I don't think I'm alone because there's a sizeable drop in audience from Season 1 to Season 2. There are people who aren't enthralled with it anymore they just haven't had the gumption to put it into words.

There have been very, very few Lost episodes that failed to provide catharsis for me in some way or another. I'm emotionally invested in every character. I felt like it was the perfect "ideal" to explain where Heroes misses the mark. Lost uses the whole buffalo where Heroes is extremely wasteful.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lost uses the whole buffalo where Heroes is extremely wasteful.

This is a phrase I plan to use in everyday life, however. :)

I don't know...to me they are VASTLY different shows. I know that Kring wanted to create lost 2.0 with Heroes, but I watch them for completely different reasons.

And Lost really started off last season in ******* mode. Took them half a season to even capture interest, and they lost a ton of audience share as well. However, they ended it on a HIGH note. Heroes started ******* in S2 and improved at the end, rushed to a conclusion due to the strike.

I love Lost for using the whole buffalo, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I just want to be entertained and not rush to the Internet and surf a billion sites looking for a Dharma logo on a shark or trying to find the map of the island and wonder what the flame station is all about. Sometimes I just want to see a cheerleader regen after her flying boyfriend drops her.

:)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a phrase I plan to use in everyday life, however. :)

I don't know...to me they are VASTLY different shows. I know that Kring wanted to create lost 2.0 with Heroes, but I watch them for completely different reasons.

And Lost really started off last season in ******* mode. Took them half a season to even capture interest, and they lost a ton of audience share as well. However, they ended it on a HIGH note. Heroes started ******* in S2 and improved at the end, rushed to a conclusion due to the strike.

I love Lost for using the whole buffalo, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I just want to be entertained and not rush to the Internet and surf a billion sites looking for a Dharma logo on a shark or trying to find the map of the island and wonder what the flame station is all about. Sometimes I just want to see a cheerleader regen after her flying boyfriend drops her.

:)

All of that was the network. They broke the show up into two chunks, not the people who made the show. That's why the lost viewers.

The network wanted a mid-season finale 6 episodes in, so that tied the hands of the creators a bit.

I think once the 7th and 8th episodes aired, it was right back on track.

Also Gadd, I agree with your article, good job.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that was the network. They broke the show up into two chunks, not the people who made the show. That's why the lost viewers.

The network wanted a mid-season finale 6 episodes in, so that tied the hands of the creators a bit.

I think once the 7th and 8th episodes aired, it was right back on track.

Also Gadd, I agree with your article, good job.

That didn't stop the writers from making it practically unwatchable. It wasn't the network, it was the story. Breaking up the losties and the cage crap got old, fast. The new idiots were just icing on the bad cake. Heroes had Maya and Miguel...alejandro but even THEY were introduced better than the two buried alive goofballs Lost tried to integrate.

The first quarter of Lost last season was some bad TV. I was afraid it lost all of its magic. About episode 12 or so on, it was bad-ass on a higher level than it had been even previously.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not everyone agrees with me, but I think X-Files and The Sopranos raised the game in terms of hour-long TV drama: shot on film, primary characters given miles of backstory, and stories are told with an unfolding mythology that is both familiar and titilating with culture-current modifications. The writers for both of those shows had a strong understanding of traditional storytelling. If Heroes were created in 1985 it would've been groundbreaking, but we've learned to expect more from TV shows like that.

I think Heroes tries to be much more than, say, Chuck, which is unapologetically cheesy -- that's its charm. Perhaps you approach it differently than the producers'/writers' intent so you can find more enjoyment, but the creative personnel for the show don't get a pass from me, nor do I think they would backtrack and suggest Heroes is just supposed to be cheesy fun. Kling tries very hard for the show to carry a level of self-importance that it has yet to fully deliver.

I still have hope for Heroes. I didn't like the first season of X-Files until I was hooked in the second. When I went back to watch the first season on DVD I appreciated it more.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everyone agrees with me, but I think X-Files and The Sopranos raised the game in terms of hour-long TV drama: shot on film, primary characters given miles of backstory, and stories are told with an unfolding mythology that is both familiar and titilating with culture-current modifications. The writers for both of those shows had a strong understanding of traditional storytelling. If Heroes were created in 1985 it would've been groundbreaking, but we've learned to expect more from TV shows like that.

I think Heroes tries to be much more than, say, Chuck, which is unapologetically cheesy -- that's its charm. Perhaps you approach it differently than the producers'/writers' intent so you can find more enjoyment, but the creative personnel for the show don't get a pass from me, nor do I think they would backtrack and suggest Heroes is just supposed to be cheesy fun. Kling tries very hard for the show to carry a level of self-importance that it has yet to fully deliver.

I still have hope for Heroes. I didn't like the first season of X-Files until I was hooked in the second. When I went back to watch the first season on DVD I appreciated it more.

I'm pretty wild in my tastes for TV shows, too. I'd put Lost and The Office as my two hands down favorite shows out right now. I also love Journeyman and Friday Night Lights. Heroes is on a tier right below that, there with SVU, Housewives and Ugly Betty (which I love for its sheer camp). But all of them, I feel, are head and shoulders above most other shows on TV. As different as they all are. That I like shows as far apart as Carnivale and Ugly Betty either says a lot about me or makes me completely unreadable.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first quarter of Lost last season was some bad TV. I was afraid it lost all of its magic. About episode 12 or so on, it was bad-ass on a higher level than it had been even previously.

Lost writers took a risk by running the first seven episodes of season 3 through the prism of the love triangle of Jack, Sawyer, and Kate, which gutted the heart of the show, which was Locke. It was a rare Lost moment where the backstories were more interesting than present-day island realities. The first three episodes were the real dogs, but they started to get their touch back by episode 5, IMO. I loved the stories of Eko and Desmond, and they continued to paint a fascinating picture with Locke's background.

I don't think they could've gotten to where they were mid-season with Lost without the time they took to develop the storylines at the beginning of the season, but I agree they had a big whiff on the whole captured/surgery story that left begging a lot of questions about the motivations of The Others. Still haven't been answered, really, but I don't think the writers want to touch that anymore because they backed themselves into corners with every conniving lie that Ben and his horde told.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I like shows as far apart as Carnivale and Ugly Betty either says a lot about me or makes me completely unreadable.

It says that you demand a certain level of intelligence from your entertainment. Carnivale went way over my head, but I recognize it as a good television.

I find myself unable to communicate with people who are drawn by their own voyeurism -- the reality TV audience. It probably means I'm old and culture has passed me by, but I don't care as much as I thought I would when I was a teenager. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says that you demand a certain level of intelligence from your entertainment. Carnivale went way over my head, but I recognize it as a good television.

I find myself unable to communicate with people who are drawn by their own voyeurism -- the reality TV audience. It probably means I'm old and culture has passed me by, but I don't care as much as I thought I would when I was a teenager. ;)

Gad, with the bolded part you are going to have to become an author on the blog abomb and I started. www.stoprealitytv.com

It is crap right now, but we just uploaded it night before last. Let me know if you want author rights...seems right up your alley. We want it to be a group of people posting, not just the two of us.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gad, with the bolded part you are going to have to become an author on the blog abomb and I started. www.stoprealitytv.com

It is crap right now, but we just uploaded it night before last. Let me know if you want author rights...seems right up your alley. We want it to be a group of people posting, not just the two of us.

I'm honored for the invite and that's right in my wheelhouse, but I'm trying hard to avoid blogging. When I do it it's all I want to do. Takes over my life. I can't be short and snarky like InstaPundit and it takes too much time to write anything I care to publish.

Call me when it turns profitable. LOL

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honored for the invite and that's right in my wheelhouse, but I'm trying hard to avoid blogging. When I do it it's all I want to do. Takes over my life. I can't be short and snarky like InstaPundit and it takes too much time to write anything I care to publish.

Call me when it turns profitable. LOL

That's right when we won't want you. :D Though, sadly, it will never be profitable. It may pay for its own bandwith sometime, though.

Don't avoid blogging...feel the pull...feel it...it's right there.

We are going for short and snarky though...hell, snarky is the new "you'll poke your eye out" these days. I think the next wave will be smarmky. I'm working on that as we speak.

If you ever feel the need to post about something, let me know; I'll make you an author account.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love HEROES. Period. If fact, I was more into Heroes then Lost last season. I have been a huge LOST fan since day 1. They are both just different types of shows and there is plenty of room for them both in my watching habits.

So Heroes works for me and millions of other fans to. Woot!!!!