Why do you think Horton wants this job?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I just dont believe he is that interested in taking over for Whiz. In most instances, guys like Horton, who were brought in by a friend/HC wont easily accept the now vacated position.

I am sure he is going to speak to Whiz and get his feelings on the situation, ask how the interaction is with the FO, etc. Not sure Whiz is going to give positive reviews at this juncture and coupled with the fact Whiz brought in Horton, I could easily see him say "Thanks but no Thanks"

Especially considering the potential opportunities he has in the NFL right now.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just dont believe he is that interested in taking over for Whiz. In most instances, guys like Horton, who were brought in by a friend/HC wont easily accept the now vacated position.

I am sure he is going to speak to Whiz and get his feelings on the situation, ask how the interaction is with the FO, etc. Not sure Whiz is going to give positive reviews at this juncture and coupled with the fact Whiz brought in Horton, I could easily see him say "Thanks but no Thanks"

Especially considering the potential opportunities he has in the NFL right now.
There is 7 open HC spots right now and there are a lot of "hot commodities" both young and old to fill those spot. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will land a HC position this year or even next year.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There are only 32 of these positions in the world. You know he wants to be in one of them. I don't think he'd hesitate if it was offered to him.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is his defense, his guys, his system. He is well liked by the players. He also likes living in Arizona (I read this somewhere).Less adjustment here than going to any other team. He also has all the defensive coaches in place.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I believe the ONLY reason that Horton would & will ultimately take this job is because of his familiarity with its defensive players & somewhat success with them.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Per Jurecki...

Cleveland, Buffalo, San Diego have done background checks on him already. He is going somewhere to interview tomorrow.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Cleveland, Buffalo, San Diego have done background checks on him already. He is going somewhere to interview tomorrow.

Yeah but some here don't think he will get a HC gig in 2013. :mulli:

Omg can you imagine if he gets away & turns out to be great. ;) only the Cardinals lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A lot of the answers here are correct. Another reason.... Loyalty to his players.

OP
OP
LVCARDFREAK

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Yeah I dont think he stays in AZ. I just dont think the conditions are right for him with Whiz getting fired and all.

I could see Buffalo jumping on him immediatly. They have some talent there on defense but just couldnt put it together.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He has his guys in place and can allow the new GM to bring in a legit OC and he has a recipe for success. That's why.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is his defense, his guys, his system. He is well liked by the players. He also likes living in Arizona (I read this somewhere).Less adjustment here than going to any other team. He also has all the defensive coaches in place.
I was thinking of that but dismissed the following as unrealistc:

Horton loves to sit up in the press box doing his mad scientist thing with the x's & o's and dialing up exotic looks, schemes and defensive plays from up high in the catbird seat.

How comfortable would he be delegating authority to Cioffi or some other DC? I realize that there have been HC's who have maintained responsibility for calling offensive plays, but most HC's have to be on the sidelines. Horton likes to be upstairs.

Two unorthodox options - (1) Horton stays as DC (He's a pretty independent dude. Wasn't he the guy who gave away his car to an underling)? (2) He takes the HC job, retains control of the defense and hires an "Assistant HC who mans the sidelines and "coordinates" things.

Nah! The Cardinals don't do unorthodox well.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Right on Az Jam-----there is something to be said for building something by yourself from a mess that was handed to you. He has done that, and as HC would have the opportunity to see that thrive, under his choice as DC, yet have the opportunity to bring in people to make the offense more like what his defense has become. He would more than likely welcome that challenge, based on the success he has so far had on the defensive side of the ball. Remember, he was given almost all his players on defense, and all but one coach. He found what works with each person, and found a way to build that into a really good defense. That makes me feel that he would relish the opportunity to build the rest of the team that way too. That also tells me that the FO has noticed the good he has done, and is willing to reward him, now that Whiz and company are gone.

Superfuzz

Veteran
Reaction score
AZ is his best shot this year.

Why would he want to go to BUF or CLE? What's attractive about those jobs, since he's only been checked out by them so far?

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes. The fact that nobody from the defense was fired.......Theres your sign.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Horton plus an OC/Assistant Head coach with experince as a head coach. He could bring in a Norv Turner and tell him the offense is yours.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I dont think he stays in AZ. I just dont think the conditions are right for him with Whiz getting fired and all.

I could see Buffalo jumping on him immediatly. They have some talent there on defense but just couldnt put it together.

After working toward building a 3-4 defense for a long time, didn't they just convert to a 4-3 defense with the signing of Mario Williams? I know they have Dareus, but they're missing a lot of pieces to make that transition again.

Like it or not, Ray Horton is going to get interviews in part due to the Rooney Rule. How many brown faces do you see coming up for all these coaching vacancies? What other minority candidates are in the pipeline?

I think it's more likely that Horton returns to be foisted on Todd Haley than he gets hired elsewhere.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZ is his best shot this year.

Why would he want to go to BUF or CLE? What's attractive about those jobs, since he's only been checked out by them so far?

The new owner of the Browns was with the Steelers when Horton was there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not saying there isn't "real" interest in him by these teams, but there is a thing called the Rooney rule that forces these teams to interview a minority candidate. So it is quite possible that he is simply the top minority candidate for these teams, but not necessarily one of the top candidates overall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison