Why 5 yards tacked on?

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps the experts can explain to me why the five yard penalty was assessed on the play where Dallas reached the 40 and was given another 5 yards because a Cardinal had not gotten off the field before the play started. Wouldn't Dallas have been given the option of accepting the penalty, which would have brought the ball back, or declining the penalty and keeping the ball on the 40.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats what I thought but they are the Cowboys they have their own special rules...did you not watch today? I mean the officials were clearly calling a different game than we were watching, I mean they thought the Cowboys were supposed to win...and tried to help them often!

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The big gain was on a different play than the penalty. The penalty was for off sides when they spiked the ball.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps the experts can explain to me why the five yard penalty was assessed on the play where Dallas reached the 40 and was given another 5 yards because a Cardinal had not gotten off the field before the play started. Wouldn't Dallas have been given the option of accepting the penalty, which would have brought the ball back, or declining the penalty and keeping the ball on the 40.

Because the penalty was on the play where Romo spiked the ball at the 40, not the pass play that got them to the 40.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Because the penalty was on the play where Romo spiked the ball at the 40, not the pass play that got them to the 40.

Which was total BS because in every other game I've ever seen at every level the refs make sure the D has a chance to get back onside before they let the O run the spike.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which was total BS because in every other game I've ever seen at every level the refs make sure the D has a chance to get back onside before they let the O run the spike.

Jerry Jones would have had the refs fired if they didn't get the beloved Cowboys a chance to spike the ball.

The Cards couldn't beat the Cards.
The Refs couldn't beat the Cards.
And most of all the Cowboys couldn't beat the Cards.
What a game!

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
And look back a play before when the Cards were charged with lining up in the neutral zone, I did and they weren't. They tried to steal from us in our house. The players today said NO. You do not come into our house and steal from us.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If a player is injured during a play, and the other team runs a play, I figured it would be called an injury timeout assessed to the cards, not a penalty. I don't think I've ever seen an injured player been called for a penalty, but then again I don't think I've ever seen the refs miss it completely like they did.

Maybe they didn't call it because he wasn't on the ground at the time it was snapped.

At the time I felt it was another hose call, but in the end it all worked out.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why it took the crew 7 minutes to figure that play out

OP
OP
P

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score

But if it was on the previous play, wht wasn't it assessed at the end of the previous play - the spiking - when there was plenty of time with play stopped to assess the penalty?

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Thats what I thought but they are the Cowboys they have their own special rules...did you not watch today? I mean the officials were clearly calling a different game than we were watching, I mean they thought the Cowboys were supposed to win...and tried to help them often!
:yeahthat:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I mean is (from a different angle), every time I've seen an injured player, the refs automatically call a timeout. They call it an injury time out, and assess it to the team with an injured player. (they don't allow the team to run another play)

This time, the refs didn't see him, so they allowed dallas to run a play, and thus the flag. But the play was only run, and the penalty only given, because the refs didn't follow procedure and automatically call for a time out.

But again I go back and say, if the refs were supposed to call a timeout based on the situation, and didn't. How the hell do we get stuck with the penalty.

Refs screw up, we get a penalty.

DKCards

Reaction score
The penalty might have been the best thing that could have happened to the Cards.

How that ref seemed to be leaning Dallas’s way I was terrified when hey went to the review. I was sure they were going to rule that Laboy was hurt on the play, charge the Cards with a time out, give the ball to the Cowboys on the 40, and PUT 13 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK, since that is when the receiver was downed giving Romo one more shot at a TD. I was glad to have it come down to a 52 yard FG try rather then giving them one more shot at the TD.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If a player is injured during a play, and the other team runs a play, I figured it would be called an injury timeout assessed to the cards, not a penalty. I don't think I've ever seen an injured player been called for a penalty, but then again I don't think I've ever seen the refs miss it completely like they did.

Maybe they didn't call it because he wasn't on the ground at the time it was snapped.

At the time I felt it was another hose call, but in the end it all worked out.

i honestly believe it was b/c he was not writhing on the ground in pain. i think if that happened it would have been a charged injury timeout.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The penalty might have been the best thing that could have happened to the Cards.

How that ref seemed to be leaning Dallas’s way I was terrified when hey went to the review. I was sure they were going to rule that Laboy was hurt on the play, charge the Cards with a time out, give the ball to the Cowboys on the 40, and PUT 13 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK, since that is when the receiver was downed giving Romo one more shot at a TD. I was glad to have it come down to a 52 yard FG try rather then giving them one more shot at the TD.

lol, the same thing went through my head when it was clear enough to operate.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
That was a penalty without a doubt. The O does not have to wait for the D to be set. If that were the case then the 2 minute O and hurry up offenses would be null and void if the refs waited for the D to be set every time.

The problem is that Laboy hobbled off the field when he should have just fell to the ground and waited for the trainers. Thus the no injury timeout called. Injury timeouts are not called for players hobbling off the field they are only called for players injured on the ground. The second problem is that the no one from the coaching staff to the players on D noticed that Laboy was still walking off the field and called a timeout, Mental lapse.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score

But if it was on the previous play, wht wasn't it assessed at the end of the previous play - the spiking - when there was plenty of time with play stopped to assess the penalty?

It wasn't on the previous play.

Play 1: 30 yard pass play to Witten
Play 2: spike.

The penalty was on play 2. Not on play 1. Whenever there is an accepted penalty on play 2, play 2 is nullified, the ball is moved, and play restarted at the new position.

The refs may have blown several calls yesterday. This wasn't one of them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn