Whom to draft with the #1 pick?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Obviously I'm biased being a Kentucky fan but everyone is talking about bosa, great player & I will be happy if they draft him but here's another player to think about, josh Allen at Kentucky. He won most every defensive award in college football this yr. Bosa had 17.5 sacks in 29 games at Ohio state, josh Allen had 17 this year in 13 games plus 2 strip sacks to end games. He had a boat load of TFL in the backfield, very disruptive & can drop into coverage. I'm not sure bosa can do all 3 things? He can play run defense & definitely rush the passer but Allen can do all 3. Maybe trade down a couple of spots, acquire another late 1st round pick or early 2nd & draft josh Allen. Kentucky also has a tight end (C.J Conrad) very good blocker & pass catcher also, doesn't drop the ball. He wasn't targeted much because they had Benny Snell running the ball a lot, told him to block so he could become a complete NFL caliber tight end. He has good size, NFL type body, his last 5-6 passes he caught at Kentucky were all for first downs. He would be a good 3-4 round pick. We need a few good tight ends. Mel kiper jr. At one point had him rated as the best senior tight end in college football. Very solid player trust me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks!
Josh Allen is my favourite player and i think fit better our scheme
Some users say he lack strenght and how to use hands to disengage linemen
I think he can be the next demarcus ware

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To me the furthest I trade down is #4 where you’re still guaranteed one of Bosa/Oliver/Allen. We still need to see these guys measurements b/c I’m skeptical of Allen’s weight. He looks closer to 240 than his listed 260. I think he’d be a good fit behind Golden for a year if we bring him back.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade down n take Allen
I'm not sure of Allen's weight either but I know what he can & can't do. I don't think bosa can drop into coverage & I've read today that Vance Joseph's scheme requires the ends to do that.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me the furthest I trade down is #4 where you’re still guaranteed one of Bosa/Oliver/Allen. We still need to see these guys measurements b/c I’m skeptical of Allen’s weight. He looks closer to 240 than his listed 260. I think he’d be a good fit behind Golden for a year if we bring him back.
He is a stud, he rushes the passer like Chandler Jones & can cover while dropping back. Trust me, I watched this kid play his whole career at UK, he is very explosive, got double teamed on almost every snap at UK, never got injured, bosa is coming off an injury I believe?

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade down with the raiders, let them take bosa to replace mack, we take josh Allen & get their late 1st round pick, 29 I believe?

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want way more than that for a trade down, I would want their #1 next year also. Plus I would take Q. Williams instead at 4
I hear what your saying, depends on what the raiders are willing to give up though? With goldens injury, will he ever be back the same as before? Another edge rusher would be nice though, a shutdown corner also, maybe we can sign a top notch corner in free agency? Have to spend the cap money wisely though, spread it around for several areas. Imo, we need 2-3 top notch offensive linemen to protect Rosen, if he can't stand tall in the pocket & deliver a good ball without being killed then there's no way we can score points & win. The league has become more of an offensive league, hence the hiring of our new coach.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I dont think the gap between Allen and Bosa is very wide, if any at all. I wouldnt be surprised if Allen ends up being a better pro. Also dont question his durability like you might with Bosa. And he is a better fit scheme wise.

That being said, as of now i wouldnt take him first overall. In a trade back scenario with the raiders im ok taking him at #4. But i would want all #3 of their first round picks in exchange. #4 and they have two picks in the 20's. And not to beat a dead horse, but as i have said in other posts, i believe there is a chance to trade back twice and still come away with a top 5 pick, taking Oliver or Allen with it.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which is why Gruden won't trade up. Doesn't need to. This draft is so defense heavy that for the top 5 or 6 there's no need to trade up. The Cards didn't pick the best year to have the #1 pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want way more than that for a trade down, I would want their #1 next year also. Plus I would take Q. Williams instead at 4

You're asking for too much and I doubt Williams is there at #4.

Q: how do you fit Williams into a 3-4?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which is why Gruden won't trade up. Doesn't need to. This draft is so defense heavy that for the top 5 or 6 there's no need to trade up. The Cards didn't pick the best year to have the #1 pick.

But who replaces Mack in Oakland?

This is their #1 need given that they had the League's worst sack totals.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think the gap between Allen and Bosa is very wide, if any at all. I wouldnt be surprised if Allen ends up being a better pro. Also dont question his durability like you might with Bosa. And he is a better fit scheme wise.

That being said, as of now i wouldnt take him first overall. In a trade back scenario with the raiders im ok taking him at #4. But i would want all #3 of their first round picks in exchange. #4 and they have two picks in the 20's. And not to beat a dead horse, but as i have said in other posts, i believe there is a chance to trade back twice and still come away with a top 5 pick, taking Oliver or Allen with it.

Pipe dream : You won't get more than one of Oakland's later first round picks.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're asking for too much and I doubt Williams is there at #4.

Q: how do you fit Williams into a 3-4?

QW will dominate any of the 3 down lineman positions. He will beat the man in front of him. Very versatile due to strength and quickness. The only scheme that it would be difficult to place him in is a bad one.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing that it’s almost NEVER that you have have the opportunity to draft 1st, I would prefer we stay & pick OUR guy. For the first time in my lifetime, I don’t want to risk moving down & hoping the guy we want won’t be gone. KKSK needs to do their homework & pick the best player in the land. There are no guarantees he’ll be in the HOF someday, but trading down will usually reduce the chances that he will be.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Disagree. He suggested Bosa playing behind Golden for a year (which also means we are paying Golden some pretty good coin).

You don't sit a top 5 pick.

Your going to pay Bosa 8-9m/year and he is going to start from day 1.

Allen not Bosa and “sit” doesn’t mean inactive. He could very well start right away if he turns out to be ready but it would be doubtful. When’s the last time Golden was durable?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Allen not Bosa and “sit” doesn’t mean inactive. He could very well start right away if he turns out to be ready but it would be doubtful. When’s the last time Golden was durable?
gonna be a rotation anyway

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave