Who starts at QB game 1?

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are the Cards going to have an 'open audition' as starting QB between Bradford, Glennon, Rosen? All three QBs will be learning the playbook together. None have any connection or established chemistry with any of the O players. They'll all be throwing to Kirk/Fitz/etc for first time.

Rosen is talked about as being the 'most pro-ready' QB in the draft----how soon will that be?

Do the Cards dare consider benching their multi-million dollar vets to start the season with Rosen?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Are the Cards going to have an 'open audition' as starting QB between Bradford, Glennon, Rosen? All three QBs will be learning the playbook together. None have any connection or established chemistry with any of the O players. They'll all be throwing to Kirk/Fitz/etc for first time.

Rosen is talked about as being the 'most pro-ready' QB in the draft----how soon will that be?

Do the Cards dare consider benching their multi-million dollar vets to start the season with Rosen?

all the pundits think Rosen will start.... I think he can.

But I also think they will give Bradford a few games....I know they paid him well, but on a short term contract I would guess some promises were made. Plus, it makes sense to let Rosen see a few games from the sidelines and use those coaching opportunities.

They cant let Rosen sit too long though,... the future is here, and the fans want it now I'm sure. So my guess is that Bradford will start the season and play until first major mistake or injury and Rosen will run with it from there. I dont think they will let Bradford lose 4 games without a switch unless we are at 12-4....anything resembling .500 or less brings Rosen

Reaction score
First round QBs rarely sit the whole season any more, especially when they are as polished as Rosen is.

My guess is Bradford will start the season and will be on a very short leash.

I expect to see Rosen no later than week 14 and probably sooner.
all the pundits think Rosen will start.... I think he can.

But I also think they will give Bradford a few games....I know they paid him well, but on a short term contract I would guess some promises were made. Plus, it makes sense to let Rosen see a few games from the sidelines and use those coaching opportunities.

They cant let Rosen sit too long though,... the future is here, and the fans want it now I'm sure. So my guess is that Bradford will start the season and play until first major mistake or injury and Rosen will run with it from there. I dont think they will let Bradford lose 4 games without a switch unless we are at 12-4....anything resembling .500 or less brings Rosen

I agree with this

I think of the Trubisky/Glennon situation last year as a parallel

However, if the OL is getting Bradford murdered, maybe they wait a little longer than expected

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how the QBs are used in preseason. Do they get equal time with the first-string OL? Is Bradford the defacto starter with little preseason play?

Looking forward to seeing how the guys compete and how the decision is made.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Bradford is starting game 1.

Rosen has fans clamoring for him by the end of preseason.

By the halfway point of the season, the fans are in nearly full-out revolt as Bradford stumbles a bit through some bad losses, takes some bumps, and Glennon plays a bit. Rosen ends up playing four to six games or so.

Not really how I think it will play out, but the most likely way. I have a gut instinct that Bradford plays enough games well enough to play the whole season, leaving us with a tough decision next year.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Rosen is the starter at the beginning of the season then Keim needs to be fired for wasting $20 million on Bradford when that money would have been better spent elsewhere. Yes I know when Bradford was signed, no one thought we would have been able to nab Rosen but if there was even an inkling, then throwing $20 million on Bradford would be the epitome of stupidity.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bradford is starting game 1.

Rosen has fans clamoring for him by the end of preseason.

By the halfway point of the season, the fans are in nearly full-out revolt as Bradford stumbles a bit through some bad losses, takes some bumps, and Glennon plays a bit. Rosen ends up playing four to six games or so.

Not really how I think it will play out, but the most likely way. I have a gut instinct that Bradford plays enough games well enough to play the whole season, leaving us with a tough decision next year.

I was with you right up until you said "Glennon", because no. Just no. If Glennon steps in instead of Rosen...grr.

dreday

Veteran
Reaction score
If Rosen is the starter at the beginning of the season then Keim needs to be fired for wasting $20 million on Bradford when that money would have been better spent elsewhere. Yes I know when Bradford was signed, no one thought we would have been able to nab Rosen but if there was even an inkling, then throwing $20 million on Bradford would be the epitome of stupidity.

He gets $15m + incentives. If he sits the bench, he'll never reach his incentives and get $15m. How was Keim supposed to know we might get Rosen? It was a crap shoot and we got lucky. Bradford at $15M is cheap insurance.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Bradford starts Game 1, but Rosen comes in during the 3rd Q of Game 2 after the Rams rip Bradford's bad leg off his body and beat him to death with it.

I find this statement to be incredibly accurate, and true. But will it be a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty is the question.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I would really like to keep the pressure off the kid, and start Bradford for at least for six games or so. If Bradford plays at a high level, and we appear to be headed for the playoffs, then stay with him.

However, if, during the preseason, Rosen appears to be some kind of prodigy, while Bradford labors to be just good, then by all means, fire the rookie out there. If he chokes up, then you can go back to Bradford with a clear conscious.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He gets $15m + incentives. If he sits the bench, he'll never reach his incentives and get $15m. How was Keim supposed to know we might get Rosen? It was a crap shoot and we got lucky. Bradford at $15M is cheap insurance.
*sigh* Will actually read what I wrote instead of gleaning what you want.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who takes the L?

We've got a lot of new pieces to mesh together---from the entire coaching staff, new playbook, new QBs, new WR, sort through the OL players to see who starts, a star RB who hasn't played contact ball in over a year, etc.

Unfortunately, all of the 'new' translates into some early 'L' for this year. The question moving forward is who is taking the snaps? Have to generate something 'positive' out of a both a single game loss and also a lost season that will move the team forward.

Bradford (and even Glennon) would give us a better chance at some early season wins---but is that game time well spent? Rosen is going to go through a learning curve. Do we start him and go 3-13 or do we start Bradford/Glennon and go 7-9 for the season? As a fan who relishes every win, either scenario stinks but which one moves the team forward into a better future?

I'd like to see Bradford stay healthy and get us into the playoffs. Don't want to use the dreaded "IF" but there it is. IF he stays healthy---but that is an IF that attaches to every player.

Throw Rosen out there Game 1 and he gets hammered---run the risk of a David Carr shell-shocked waste of a QB. Throw an injured prone Bradford out there---he wins a few games but goes down---then we're looking at a newbie Rosen coming in---and most likely getting hammered.

The third-string QB gets very little time with the first-team under the limited time on the field for players under the CBA. The only time Rosen is going to get time with the O is going to be as the first-stringer both in practice and in the games.

Geesh---what am I talking myself into!! LOL.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You don't pay a dude 20mil and not start him...

You do if you are the Chicago Bears.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2...nnon-salary-nfl-free-agency-quarterbacks-2018

Cards may have put themselves in the Bear's scenario when they made the move for Rosen. It looked to me like they were going all in on Bradford/Glennon combo and the draft would be used to bring in players to support them.

Bradford is going through what Glennon experienced with the Bears. Glennon gets a redo on what the Bears already did to him.

Reaction score
Rosen starts game 3 against Da Bears.

Throws 6 TD passes and Glennon comes in to mop up against his old team.