Who plays like Booker? What other player in todays game reminds you of Bookit

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just asking so I can you tube then and look

Tyler Herro did before he fell off completely last season. He's admitted to patterning his game after Book though so that might be cheating.

I think Bradley Beal and Booker were similar up until last season when Book's game seemed to get smarter and he started playing bigger as well.

Booker's favorite player growing up was Rip Hamilton since he lived in Michigan during the Bad Boys 2.0 era. I think since he's started playing defense the comparison makes more sense all around, definitely in Book's favor but I was a fan of Rip's back then also.

An old school guy Book has always reminded me of is Mitch Richmond, primarily in his Kings years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's game is very unique in today's NBA, there are very few guards who use post moves and the angles he attacks from inside 10 feet. He's also evolved into a really skilled and opportunistic passer over the last couple years. He used to telegraph and force his passes, he has cut back on that a lot. It's remarkable that he is as good as he is while being a sub par 3pt shooter.

If he could get more consistent from 3 he would jump from that 2nd tier of stars into the MVP contending guys.

As for comparisons... he plays a lot more like guys from a a few decades ago. Mitch Richmond is a decent comparison, Brandon Roy, Rip Hamilton too, I wish Booker was as active off the ball as Rip, Booker is improving there but Rip was in constant motion.

Kobe is the obvious one, he isn't the defender Kobe was and he isn't as near as athletic as Kobe at the same age, but he is a better and far more willing passer and has better shot selection than Kobe.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's mechanics are great when shooting from anywhere but his subpar 3 PT shooting shows there is some sort of issue there. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a vision thing. That might explain it as well as why he ends up taking so many foot on the line 3's. That might be a depth perception issue.

I'd like to see him get corrected, whatever it is, because it would elevate his game to the next level from All-Star to All-NBA.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simple ... NO ONE plays like Booker. There is ALOT of Kobe in Books game. But its bastardized to fit Bookers body and abilities.
If you look at it from a distance its really quite amazing because Book is nowhere near the athlete Koby was, but somehow he makes it work.

For Booker I think its all about heart and competitiveness. You can't train it or build it up you either have it or don't.
But when you see it on the court its obvious.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's mechanics are great when shooting from anywhere but his subpar 3 PT shooting shows there is some sort of issue there. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a vision thing. That might explain it as well as why he ends up taking so many foot on the line 3's. That might be a depth perception issue.

I'd like to see him get corrected, whatever it is, because it would elevate his game to the next level from All-Star to All-NBA.
I think he rushes a lot of his threes. His stroke when he can set himself is pure as the driven snow, but a lot of his pull up threes are chucked up in a hurry, hoping to catch a defender off guard. I wish he'd work a bit more on running around off the ball and getting great looks that way, or being the off ball guy in transition instead of doing a dribble pull up.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul Pierce, that is another. He plays a lot faster than Paul Pierce (thank god) but they are both masters at knowing how to get to the spots where they can drain shots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan Mitchell and Bradley Beal were the first two names that popped into my head.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HOnestly, its Kobe he most reminds me of. Not the defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wade was a slasher and elite finisher. Booker is more a Brandon Roy/Allan Houston hybrid.

Allan Houston is probably the best comparison I've seen. He was robbed of having a long impactful career due to injuries but like Book he was a great scorer.

Brandon Roy wasn't as good of a scorer as Book. He was quite unique at his time as a great playmaker who had a lot of size and athleticism which allowed him to do whatever he wanted offensively.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Simple ... NO ONE plays like Booker. There is ALOT of Kobe in Books game. But its bastardized to fit Bookers body and abilities.
If you look at it from a distance its really quite amazing because Book is nowhere near the athlete Koby was, but somehow he makes it work.

For Booker I think its all about heart and competitiveness. You can't train it or build it up you either have it or don't.
But when you see it on the court its obvious.
I think he takes a lot of tough threes. Over the years his catch and shoot numbers have been routinely around 40%, but not enough of his threes are those attempts. Not many guys in the league shoot a good percentage from three with a high volume of threes off the dribble.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson