Who is Suns negotiator?

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Let's say Amare', like D'antoni', doesn't want to hear about working on his d'efense anymore, and says he wants to talk to other teams even though he is in the middle of a multi-year contract

He finds a team willing to pay him more than the Suns, so Suns say fine, good, go play for them. Suns announce we don't have to pay Amare's salary now which saves us money so we came out ahead, and we can sign a player that wants to improve his d'efense?

Wouldn't we say we just gave Amare away for nothing? Isn't this the same as giving the Knicks D'antoni'?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Let's say Amare', like D'antoni', doesn't want to hear about working more on his d'efense anymore, and says he wants to talk to other teams even though he is in the middle of a multi-year contract

He finds a team willing to pay him more than the Suns, so Suns say fine, good, go play for them. Suns announce we don't have to pay Amare's salary now which saves us money so we came out ahead, and we can sign a player that wants to improve his d'efense?

Wouldn't we say we just gave Amare away for nothing? Isn't this the same as giving the Knicks D'antoni'?
shazaam6, D'Antoni burned his bridges here. There must have been additional things going on behind the scenes that we did not know about.

We're lucky that the Knicks are taking his salary off our hands. Very lucky.

The Bulls evidently decided not to.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
D'antoni throws a tantrum over criticisms of his unorthodox practices, bench use, and defensive effort and gets rewarded with an extra $1,750,000 per year. Suns get what again????????

Sarver is Dumb, Even if they replace him with someone good, D'antoni was worth SOMETHING. Look at what the Knicks gave him. They must have wanted him bad.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
D'antoni throws a tantrum over criticisms of his unorthodox practices, bench use, and defensive effort and gets rewarded with an extra $1,750,000 per year. Suns get what again????????

Sarver is Dumb, Even if they replace him with someone good, D'antoni was worth SOMETHING. Look at what the Knicks gave him. They must have wanted him bad.
The Knicks want his regular season success and fast offense. 50-and-fade would be a step up in N.Y.

It wore thin in Phoenix.

And, as a Suns fan, I don't care at all about how much the Knicks pay him.

As long as he's gone. If there is any hope to catch a Championship during this cycle, the ray of light is back.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
shazaam6, D'Antoni burned his bridges here. There must have been additional things going on behind the scenes that we did not know about.

We're lucky that the Knicks are taking his salary off our hands. Very lucky.

The Bulls evidently decided not to.

If you think we are lucky now, just think how lucky we will be when the Suns sell their 1st round pick to keep the core (Shaq and Nash!!!) together. It will be like winning the powerball.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I don't know if the same rules apply to coaches as players. You can't trade a coach can you?

I'm not sure what the Suns could have done here, once they grant permission for D'Antoni to talk to the Knicks, it's kind of out of their hands. The best they could have done is demand a draft pick or something for the right to talk to Mike, but I don't think anyone would pay to just talk to him. Teams don't seem to own the exclusive right to coaches like they do to players. If someone offered Amare a deal to come play for them while he was under contract, there are compensation rules in place, but I don't think the same rules apply to coaches.

Hardly seems fair. The Suns built D'Antoni up, they are the reason anyone has even heard of him, seems they should have gotten something for him.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I don't know if the same rules apply to coaches as players. You can't trade a coach can you?

I'm not sure what the Suns could have done here, once they grant permission for D'Antoni to talk to the Knicks, it's kind of out of their hands. The best they could have done is demand a draft pick or something for the right to talk to Mike, but I don't think anyone would pay to just talk to him. Teams don't seem to own the exclusive right to coaches like they do to players. If someone offered Amare a deal to come play for them while he was under contract, there are compensation rules in place, but I don't think the same rules apply to coaches.

Hardly seems fair. The Suns built D'Antoni up, they are the reason anyone has even heard of him, seems they should have gotten something for him.

I think that is against the CBA.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
That is like "getting" to not have to pay Kurt Thomas or two first round draft picks. Whoo hoo we ripped the Sonics on that one too.

Sonics later trade Kurt for Spurs 1st round pick.

Sonics add three 1st rounders subtract nothing.

Spurs add Kurt Thomas subtract one 1st rounder

Suns add nothing subtract two 1st rounders and Kurt Thomas

Kurt helps Spurs end Suns year..........any questions?

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They should of asked for Malik Rose bought out, so Suns can sign him for veteran minimum.

He can be the hustler Suns need

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Let's say Amare', like D'antoni', doesn't want to hear about working on his d'efense anymore, and says he wants to talk to other teams even though he is in the middle of a multi-year contract

I'm sorry, but this post doesn't make much sense. You are either being sarcastic, or have no idea how the NBA works.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Half sarcastic, half frustration. Since Bryan Colangelo left the Suns have been getting nothing in return although they've been giving up value.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did get something. They don't have to pay him $8.5 mil.

No kidding. Sarver has made so many salary saving moves since taking over I think Sarver must be saving for something special. Unfortunately, its nothing related to the Suns.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
No kidding. Sarver has made so many salary saving moves since taking over I think Sarver must be saving for something special. Unfortunately, its nothing related to the Suns.

Yeah it's called the mortgage crisis, this had to have hit him pretty hard like everyone else in the industry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson