Who is Kyler Murray?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you want a better idea of who he is I recommend the piece in today’s New York Times. Here’s a sample, “I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a better idea of who he is I recommend the piece in today’s New York Times. Here’s a sample, “I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

This is not encouraging. The really good players are students of the game. They live and breathe it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus. There’s like thirteen Kyler Murray Threads. Not every post everyone makes is thread worthy.

EDIT: okay... maybe this is thread worthy. That is the last thing I ever want to hear from my Franchise QB. Quite frankly, when you haven’t had that much experience AND you’re not yet an elite passer (hasn’t even broken 4000 yards or 27 passing TDs in a pass happy league yet), saying you don’t need to lull yourself with film is quite frankly stupid.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is why things break down for him when his elite athleticism is taken away even just a bit. And this is a system he's been in for a long time, with some variations... Imagine what happens if we replace Kliff and he needs to work out of a different scheme?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It endows him with the confidence and self-discipline to conjure a reality that matches his towering expectations, but also with an aversion to the attention that has come with his rise from multisport phenomenon to N.F.L. superstar with the Arizona Cardinals, who, despite losing their last two games, remain atop the N.F.C. West at 10-4.

But not so much of an aversion that he won’t consent to a profile in the New York-freaking-Times.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a truly damning quote and thought process from a guy who not only has never won anything in his life, but is looking at two straight seasons where once tape is out on HIM, his game has suffered.

Yeah... this sucks. That attitude is a massive indictment on the leader of the team. If he’s not putting in the work and thinks he can just “see everything”, it sets a horrible example for the rest of the team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The absolute last thing you want to hear from your franchise QB. He should be watching as much film as possible and studying defenses and tendencies. I wonder if Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers study film? I wonder if Peyton Manning studied film? (A rhetorical question btw)

HUGE RED FLAG!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a truly damning quote and thought process from a guy who not only has never won anything in his life, but is looking at two straight seasons where once tape is out on HIM, his game has suffered.

Yeah... this sucks. That attitude is a massive indictment on the leader of the team. If he’s not putting in the work and thinks he can just “see everything”, it sets a horrible example for the rest of the team.
Yup it’s actually pretty pathetic.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know what’s hysterically laughable? You will have a whole line of posters in here who will enter this thread in the future saying it’s no big deal and defending Kyler…. Smh

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two weeks ago he was the savior of the franchise now let’s trade him lol

I honestly think he’s still clearly hurt. He’s over throwing everything that means he’s not planting his feet and driving the ball. I mean I don’t really think it’s hard to tell.

I’m more concerned that our offensive line and defense has fallen off a cliff

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I honestly think he’s still clearly hurt. He’s over throwing everything that means he’s not planting his feet and driving the ball. I mean I don’t really think it’s hard to tell.

BLAHAHHAA not hurt…. And total junk conjecture.

Now he openly admits that he doesn’t study or watch film like he should and you could give a crap less. Laughable.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He was the savior of the franchise after a mediocre Bears game that Colt McCoy prolly could’ve won?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People need to relax. He said a similar thing about having a feel for plays after Titans game in another article & nobody was calling him out at that time.

Also one of the reasons he mentioned for his improvement in changing calls @ line was studying defenses during off-season. He does watch tape but is not obsessed about it that's what K1 is getting at.

He is right, film can only take you so far & the rest is based on instinct or past experience from QB or playcaller . I just don' think he expressed it in a way that come out sounding right in NY Post article.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, he either doesn’t care enough about the game to the work studying the great ones do or he’s too brittle to make it through another season.

Either way that’s a mental or physical problem moving forward, no?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People need to relax. He said a similar thing about having a feel for plays after Titans game in another article & nobody was calling him out at that time.

Also one of the reasons he mentioned for his improvement in changing calls @ line was studying defenses during off-season. He does watch tape but is not obsessed about it that's what K1 is getting at.

He is right, film can only take you so far & the rest is based on instinct or past experience from QB or playcaller . I just don' think he expressed it in a way that come out sounding right in NY Post article.
He didn’t mean the words he said is the excuse? Come on. He’s not a wet behind the ears rookie or an 18 year old kid.

Dude said what he said. And quite frankly, it sucks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I defended kyler all last summer from posters attacking him for allegedly not working with a quarterbacks coach. I said we don’t know if he did or not. Now I kinda feel like I’ve got egg on my face. Now my perspective is he likes working out but not studying. And imo to be a truly great QB that film room is not only a baseline requirement, it’s your best friend.

And also this: I question his basic intelligence bc any garden variety QB would have the common sense to know that making that statement is going to attract an avalanche of criticism. The reality is terrible, but the lack of self-awareness in saying that publicly is sheer idiocy.

My opinion of kylers potential and leadership are taking hits left and right lately. Disappointing.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I defended kyler all last summer from posters attacking him for allegedly not working with a quarterbacks coach. I said we don’t know if he did or not. Now I kinda feel like I’ve got egg on my face. Now my perspective is he likes working out but not studying. And imo to be a truly great QB that film room is not only a baseline requirement, it’s your best friend.

And also this: I question his baseline intelligence bc any garden variety QB would have the common sense to know that making that statement is going to attract an avalanche of criticism. The reality is terrible, but the lack of self-awareness in saying that publicly is sheer idiocy.

My opinion of kylers potential and leadership are taking hits left and right lately. Disappointing.
Perfectly stated