Who fixed Levi Brown? PFF Article

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
These are my favorite recaps to read every week. Some really interesting thoughts on Levi the past 4 games.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/20/re-focused-browns-cardinals-week-15/

No longer the baddest tackle in all the town?

Has he just got it? Is he benefiting from the level of opposition? Has he realized he’s playing for a new contract? The ‘he’ I’m referring to is of course Levi Brown (+5.0) who is currently enjoying the best spell of his career, with this game marking his fourth positively graded game in a row. Sure Mitchell is hardly elite competition, but Brown has been beaten badly by worse before, and it’s not easy staying perfect in pass protection when your team drop-backs to throw the ball 53 times. I’m not prepared to say this is anything other than a hot streak at the moment, but I’m starting to wonder if Brown may have just turned a corner. I know, I know; I’ve jinxed it by even suggesting it. But credit where it’s due, Brown is playing exceptionally well right now.

The skeptic in me thinks this is a contract run. I will sayI havent noticed Levi last 4 weeks, so they are spot on abotuhis improvement.

I wouldn't say the difference is Skelton either. He has better pocket presence then Kolb at this point, but take way too many sacks IMO and has looked horrible against the blitz as referenced here....

If you blitz John Skelton you can beat him. The Browns did 12 times and the results were three completions for 25 yards with a further three sacks.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
These are my favorite recaps to read every week. Some really interesting thoughts on Levi the past 4 games.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/20/re-focused-browns-cardinals-week-15/

Has he just got it? Is he benefiting from the level of opposition? Has he realized he’s playing for a new contract? The ‘he’ I’m referring to is of course Levi Brown (+5.0) who is currently enjoying the best spell of his career, with this game marking his fourth positively graded game in a row. Sure Mitchell is hardly elite competition, but Brown has been beaten badly by worse before, and it’s not easy staying perfect in pass protection when your team drop-backs to throw the ball 53 times. I’m not prepared to say this is anything other than a hot streak at the moment, but I’m starting to wonder if Brown may have just turned a corner. I know, I know; I’ve jinxed it by even suggesting it. But credit where it’s due, Brown is playing exceptionally well right now.

The skeptic in me thinks this is a contract run. I will sayI havent noticed Levi last 4 weeks, so they are spot on abotuhis improvement.

I wouldn't say the difference is Skelton either. He has better pocket presence then Kolb at this point, but take way too many sacks IMO and has looked horrible against the blitz as referenced here.....

Levi Brown is back up OT material. Nothing more than that. Regardless what he does for the rest of this year.

If you blitz John Skelton you can beat him. The Browns did 12 times and the results were three completions for 25 yards with a further three sacks.

Then I suggest a team come in and beat Skelton. Cause only one team has been successful so far this season.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Then I suggest a team come in and beat Skelton. Cause only one team has been successful so far this season.

Yup. We should also trade for Tebow, start each guy every other game and well go 16-0. That simple!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another player who sucked and got paid here who will leave for a decent paycheck and play awesome elsewhere.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Levi Brown is back up OT material. Nothing more than that. Regardless what he does for the rest of this year.

While I agree, unless we draft someone in the 1st round, I doubt we're going to be able to upgrade. There simply aren't many good FAs at OT out there this year and the ones that do hit the market are only marginal upgrades who may very well be down grades in the short term because of the whole chemistry issue.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't say the difference is Skelton either. He has better pocket presence then Kolb at this point, but take way too many sacks IMO and has looked horrible against the blitz as referenced here....

Levi Brown always plays better in the 2nd half the season. Nothing new.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
While I agree, unless we draft someone in the 1st round, I doubt we're going to be able to upgrade. There simply aren't many good FAs at OT out there this year and the ones that do hit the market are only marginal upgrades who may very well be down grades in the short term because of the whole chemistry issue.

Oh we are screwed at LT. I don't know who would be a better option at LT. Maybe Jeremy Bridges ?

I dunno. It is not a good situation.

But, from what I am told, I should praise our head coach for doing so well in this situation. :D

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh we are screwed at LT. I don't know who would be a better option at LT. Maybe Jeremy Bridges ?

But, from what I am told, I should praise our head coach for doing so well in this situation. :D
I think they need to get faster at tackle.
If Brown dropping weight can help that, do it and give him a very modest deal.
If it can't find someone else with a quicker drop back.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A couple nice games after 4 1/2 years of FAIL means nothing to me regarding bringing him back next year. The whole damn team is playing well and Levi is part of that right now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Damn right.;)

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He too easily lets up on pass rushers, is beat by one-on-one rushers too often, and he's one of the reasons we can't get a solid screen game going, the guy has no footwork or lateral speed.

Let him go after the season and draft a tackle in round 1.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lol, pleeeeeease don't give Skelton credit for this team winning. And to be technical, no team "came in" and beat Skelton, we went there and when they did come here, we won. But it has very little to do with Skelton. Similarly to Tebow in Denver. Sure, they're winning with him, but not because of him. Defensive/(special teams, for AZ. OL for Den) improvements (understatement of the year) are the reason. Tebow got enough time in the pocket last week to run 29 yards the other direction. Skelton got a W with a 30 passer rating. I'm not sure what the future holds for this team at QB, or for Kolb, but Skelton is not the missing link. Denver cut Orton, then he led the Chiefs over the undefeated, unquestionably best team in the NFL Packers. Weeks after arriving in town and days after losing their head coach

that long ass rant said. Boy am I excited to have Kerry Rhodes back on the field. We can only get better with him back

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ive said it a million times: Draft Kalil in the 1st round, restructure levis contract and move him to LG, Sendlien, Lutui at RG, and patch up the RT spot with Keith/bridges/FA and TEs.

That would be a strong line. Great run blocking line. Jeff King is like another linemen too, and anthony sherman is nice..

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ive said it a million times: Draft Kalil in the 1st round, restructure levis contract and move him to LG, Sendlien, Lutui at RG, and patch up the RT spot with Keith/bridges/FA and TEs.

That would be a strong line. Great run blocking line. Jeff King is like another linemen too, and anthony sherman is nice..
Colledge is fine. Lutui will stay a failure because he can't stop eating. And Kalil likely wont be available, either because he stays another year, or because the Cards draft too low because we stopped sucking. Next year, the mid-3 will be the same, and there's a 50-50 shot the tackles do too sadly

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I lost my voice screaming He was a great tackle and oline ,asked to do way more than any other. You can't protect A QB throwing 2/3rds of the time. When the defense is sure your not going to run.

We still had 45 throws to 15 Beanie runs, we won! And I enjoy our succcess but my God it would be consistant if we ran consistantly.

spanky1

Reaction score
He too easily lets up on pass rushers, is beat by one-on-one rushers too often, and he's one of the reasons we can't get a solid screen game going, the guy has no footwork or lateral speed.

Let him go after the season and draft a tackle in round 1.

I said this on another thread but it's worth repeating. IMHO, given where we will be drafting in round 1, it's unlikely that there will be a talented LT available.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
LOL! This stiff has a decent game or two and four years of mediocre to lousy play is quickly forgotten and forgiven. This was a guy who was taken FIFTH overall, not in the 7th round. Memo to Russ Grimm: He's no Joe Thomas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard