Who are your later round draft targets?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Everyone’s looking for that late round edge rusher. For my money except for the very elite players these are the toughest to rate. Anae is a one trick pony with very little discipline. Someone will take the chance he can learn technique. Taylor is another athletic, willing rusher who lacks technique, someone’s project. Coughlin chose not to lift as he lacks ideal strength. He has good speed and agility, but gets handled by strong, balanced blockers. Robinson likewise lacks upper body strength. He also has a checkered past that will likely take him off the Cards’ board. Coe is another gut with character issues who lacks technique. He fancies himself a tough guy, likely UDFA. Highsmith draws quite a bit of attention. Very athletic with good quickness when rushing the passer. He’s less capable and enthusiastic when supporting against the run. He’s a little like Simeon Rice for you older guys, but he’s not as polished. Williams is another strong athlete with little technique who succeeded last year on sheer effort. A late round project with a decent chance to make it.

Last edited:

Harry

Reaction score
Fotu is an odd duck. He looks the part of an anchor and offer good agility. He might be able to collapse the pocket but seems more interested in mixing it up. He has some technique but gets distracted from using it. His durability is questionable. He only played about half of his team’s defensive teams snaps. He was red flagged for a not fully healed calf tear at the Senior Bowl. This is a call some scout will lose sleep over. Is Jordan Elliott really a usual suspect. He has it all. He’s strong with a wicked punch, has technique, pursues line to line and has fine football instincts. He also lost weight going into 2019 and refined his body. So why am I worried. Rumors (unsupported) indicate their might be a character problem. He committed to Baylor, then changed to Texas. Played a year then left for Missouri. Oddly Texas just left him leave but no one’s talking. Perhaps they suggested he leave. Nonetheless he could go as early as round 2. Davis is a poor man’s Brown. He’s tough to move against the run but lacks the explosiveness to be a quality pass rusher. He’s strictly a rotation option. If he lasts until the third he’s a thought. Williams is a great team player who has some decent abilities. He’s likely destined to be a rotation player unless he can improved his strength and anchoring ability. He’s got a good motor and will play to the whistle. He has some technique but needs more.

Harry

Reaction score
Davis -Gaither reminds some of Simmons. I see the resemblance but he’s not nearly as polished. Appy St can only do so much with coaching at this point. He could well go in round 2 just based on potential. He’ll likely play OLB, but may be a better fit in a 4-3. Wilson is an ILB who was solid against the run and the pass but may not be fast enough to cover in the NFL. He’ll be killer on special teams while getting ready for the new challenge. If he’s there in the fourth you’d have to consider him. You guys picked some fascinating players. Wilson is not an ILB. He lacks the strength to play inside. He didn’t run at the Combine due to an injured right knee that has since healed. He has speed to burn and would seem to be a candidate for covering most TEs, but if he plays the strong side it’s not clear he can defend the run. Still I think he goes round 3 to someone who will try to build his strength. I hear Weavers name often as he’s a quality guy. Sadly he’s not very athletic. He’s a late round or UDFAS type. Brown never saw a play action move that didn’t mislead him. He looks like an UDFA to me though some have him late. Toohill being ha poor tackler and poor at shedding tackles will be hard pressed to be more than a backup. I wouldn’t waste a pick though he has a good motor. Jennings looks like an ILB to me though he played outside at Bama. I guess he could play outside against a heavy running team. He can blitz a little. He can’t cover but has a knack for knocking down passes. He fill gaps well and plays tough. He’s hard to fit. It would be easier for me to endorse Olson if he wasn’t hideously slow. He has everything else but that’s rarely enough in the NFL.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
LB Malik Harrison, KeShaun Vaughn, RB and the NT from Baylor, Bravvion Roy.

abcard

Veteran
Reaction score
How about Oluwole Betiku de/olb Illinois , McTelvin Agim de/dt Arkansas and Stephen Sullivan te LSU.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson was on the Big Red Rage. He currently works with Alabama

when asked about a under the radar Alabama guy -- he mentioned Anfernee Jennings, LB

high effort, high character guy

abcard

Veteran
Reaction score
Harry, would like your opinion on some of the players listed in the last few post. If you will.

Harry

Reaction score
Here’s what I wrote earlier about Roy

At 6’1” Bravvion Royis short for an NT but he can anchor and collapse the pocket. Weighing 333 helps with the anchoring and he’s more agile than you’d expect. He’s expected to run below 5.0 at the Combine. I’m curious to see what he benches as he looks extremely strong in games. It’s not clear where he’ll go in the draft until his numbers are in but I think no later than round 2, as my group is already talking him up. He’s exciting. He ran 5.05, but didn’t lift; now healed injury.

Here’s the recent adds. Harrison is weak defending the pass but is one of the best run defenders in the draft. The right defensive fit could have him going late in the second. Vaughn is a little too slow to the hole for the Cards’ offense. There’s a little buzz out there about Agim. He’s very raw but has the athleticism to be an interesting project. He goes early day 3. Betiku profiles as an edge rusher. He’s a converted soccer player who lacks technique. He’s a good athlete but it’s not clear he is destined for football, think UDFA. Sullivan is one of the TEs i was thinking of when I said there were interesting TEs in this draft. When they finally started throwing to him, he was effective, especially in the red zone. He needs quite a bit of polishing. He’s a willing but not effective blocker at this point. However, he has good, huge hands and will fight for the ball. Interesting possible late round pick. I wouldn’t wait for a UDFA try.

Clark is a late draft guy who has some ability but has a terrible understanding of leverage. He may have the agility to correct, but that’s a gamble. Galeai would not pass the Cards’ character test. Charles as well has red flags for drugs. Coupled with a spotty health history, I’d pass.

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, would like your opinion on some of the players listed in the last few post. If you will.
I hope I covered whomever interested you. If you’re curious about someone specific I might be able to provide more depth. I just can’t do dozens.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3rd Rd. @ 72-
Justin Madubuike - DL
Jordan Elliot - DL
Kyle Dugger - S
Curtis Weaver - Edge
Bradley Anae - Edge
Jonathan Greenard - Edge
Clyde Edwards-Helaire - RB
Cam Akers - RB
Saahdiq Charles - T/G
John Simpson - G
Robert Hunt - G
Matt Peart - T

Harry

Reaction score
So Murray out of Oklahoma has drawn some interest on this board. What's the take on him. What's his cover ability? Who would you draft on day three at WILB? Can Troy Dye - Oregon play that spot?

And who do you see as the top 3/4 Edge LB after Simmons? Chaisson, Gator-Matos, Baun...??

I love Murray. He gets fooled by play action at times but his motor and speed enables him to overcome his false steps. He’s a 3 down backer who could help against TEs. Once he gets coached up he’ll be a terror. He’s exactly who you want inside. Not the biggest need but this guy will play in the NFL for 10 years. Dye can play there. He’s decent against the pass and the run but needs to be coached up, likely takes a year. Simmons is so much more than an edge rusher. He’s separate from this group. Chaisson is next, but he’s no lock to succeed. Gator-Matos has more upside than Chaisson but not as ready to help now. Throw out the Braun drug stuff, no one cares. However he tries to speed rush outside too often and just gets pushed behind the pocket. Epenesa has a great motor and over the course of a game simply wears out the tackle blocking him. By the 4th quarter he’s a force that’s hard to stop.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA