Whisenhunt says it isn't personal

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is it "personal" in the way that it's about the people that Leinart rolls with, or whether or not Leinart ignored Whis's friend request on Facebook or something? No. But Whis's saying that the decision isn't going to be about "stats" alone, that he's going to take into account intangibles like command of the huddle, respect of teammates, body language on the sideline, or whatever? That's basically saying that Coach doesn't like Leinart's character, and that's personal.

I didn't think about it until Bickley mentioned it during an interview with Anderson yesterday, but Derek is a good golfer. Good enough to compete in that Celebrity Tahoe Invitational tournament every year. Good enough to play with... Ken Whisenhunt.

It's possible that Whis sees a kindred spirit or someone with whom he's more personally confortable working with than Leinart, and he's making the decision because a coach and a QB need to work closely together over the course of a season. I guess that's okay, but if I'm in that position it's not going to cause me to go with a QB who seems to be a D+ over a guy whom I think has a similar floor but a much higher ceiling.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Whis's saying that the decision isn't going to be about "stats" alone, that he's going to take into account intangibles like command of the huddle, respect of teammates, body language on the sideline, or whatever? That's basically saying that Coach doesn't like Leinart's character, and that's personal.

How does that make it personal? if you can't manage on offense and you don't know when and where WR's should be lined up. How is that personal? If he takes it personal that's his problem. The coach isn't there to mince words and coddle you. Hes there to tell you like it is. Man up grow a pair of nuts and move on.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's part of his job to address the media. When asked about the QB situation though he has remained typically circumspect. He's spoken in generalities and danced around the issue to the best of his ability. He could easily have met Matt's "I outplayed the competition and wasn't even given a reason for my demotion" with "he stunk the place up and I told the idiot time and again to go through his reads and stop taking the drive killing checkdown pass".

I'm not saying Matt has been horrible in how he's dealt with this but he has been a little chicken sh** IMO. Claiming he hasn't been given a reason for his demotion, whining that he wasn't told it was an open competition and demanding an explanation from the coach THROUGH the media is quite a bit different from the way the coach has handled things.

Steve

... in 4 seconds or less...

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it "personal" in the way that it's about the people that Leinart rolls with, or whether or not Leinart ignored Whis's friend request on Facebook or something? No. But Whis's saying that the decision isn't going to be about "stats" alone, that he's going to take into account intangibles like command of the huddle, respect of teammates, body language on the sideline, or whatever? That's basically saying that Coach doesn't like Leinart's character, and that's personal.

I didn't think about it until Bickley mentioned it during an interview with Anderson yesterday, but Derek is a good golfer. Good enough to compete in that Celebrity Tahoe Invitational tournament every year. Good enough to play with... Ken Whisenhunt.

It's possible that Whis sees a kindred spirit or someone with whom he's more personally confortable working with than Leinart, and he's making the decision because a coach and a QB need to work closely together over the course of a season. I guess that's okay, but if I'm in that position it's not going to cause me to go with a QB who seems to be a D+ over a guy whom I think has a similar floor but a much higher ceiling.

I couldn't disagree more.

DA a kindred spirit with Whiz. LOL. Yeah that must be the reason Lienart got benched. He sucks at golf.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Are you serious with this? Yeah he is basing his decisions on DA beng able to play Golf with him.

This is getting ridiculous. Whiz has said what this is about. Why are people speculating it is some vast personal conspiracy? Whiz is a football coach who wants to win and he believes DA gives us the best chnace right now (debatable) and he feels ML hasnt done what is neccessary to win the job.

Let me ask you this, if Whiz came out and said "one of the big reasons for my decision is that no one on the offense has confidence in ML or believes he should be their starting QB" What would you say then? Still think he should be starting?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How does that make it personal? if you can't manage on offense and you don't know when and where WR's should be lined up. How is that personal? If he takes it personal that's his problem. The coach isn't there to mince words and coddle you. Hes there to tell you like it is. Man up grow a pair of nuts and move on.

If I'm lead to understand that the Coach believes that I don't have the respect of my teammates, when I believe that I do... it's an attack on my character, and thus - PERSONAL!

And Coaches do "mince words" and do "coddle". Even Lombardi had his favourites.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm lead to understand that the Coach believes that I don't have the respect of my teammates, when I believe that I do... it's an attack on my character, and thus - PERSONAL!

No that is not personal. Its called "truth" would you rather have a coach lie to a player and say we all love you and respect you if its 100% false?

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whiz hasn't said that about Matt though. You are implying it. You are making it PERSONAL!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that is not personal. Its called "truth" would you rather have a coach lie to a player and say we all love you and respect you if its 100% false?

Truth is fact. That isn't truth; that is opinion. Want my son to show you the difference between fact and opinion?

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiz hasn't said that about Matt though. You are implying it. You are making it PERSONAL!

I think Whisenhunt has made it personal without making it personal. Similiar to how women speak in code that we are supposed to translate. :)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, in my experience I've yet to see that level of certainty in human relations.

A month ago, Whiz was lauding Matt's offseason work, when he was interacting with his teammates. He spoke of his hard work, attention to detail, growing maturity, etc.

Now, a month later... we are to understand he neither has the respect of his coach or teammates.

It seems to me, that this would have been manifest and subject to critical assessment before now.

There seems to be a bit, perhaps a lot, of duplicity involved here.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm just following up on what seems to be the accepted view of this board.

That neither Whiz or the player's respect Matt Leinart.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, a month later... we are to understand he neither has the respect of his coach or teammates.

Again. Whisenhunt has never said that he has lost respect for Lienart. Nor have any of his teammates come out and publicly said they have lost respect from him.

The only thing that Whiz has really said is that he wasn't happy with how his offense looked the first 2 preseason games and he wanted to shake things up.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again. Whisenhunt has never said that he has lost respect for Lienart. Nor have any of his teammates come out and publicly said they have lost respect from him.

The only thing that Whiz has really said is that he wasn't happy with how his offense looked the first 2 preseason games and he wanted to shake things up.

Again... I'm not in disagreement. I'm just going along with the ASFN mind reading.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Whisenhunt has made it personal without making it personal. Similiar to how women speak in code that we are supposed to translate. :)

Why do ALL women do this? Answer me that?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fixed that for you.

True. Any owner who would pay BSP a million dollars to be 3rd string isn't worried about the cost of his backup QBs.

Does anyone remember what the problems were between Big Ben and CKW in Pittsburgh?

EDIT: Nevermind I got it. It's amazing what playing in the SB will do for your team. Everytime I google something about the Cards now I get 1000s of hits from January/Feb of 2009.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard