Whis Post-game: "Kolb wasn't good enough to come back"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Kolb is OK and I hope that we can get some long-term improvement in the pass protection. Tired of seeing our QB's take such a consistent beating.

It is tough to evaluate any of our QB's under this situation. And the sad thing is that I can't remember the last time that we had even above average pass protection

The one Kolb got hurt on was a 3 step drop he just didn't get the ball out quick enough. But yeah Skelton was having to avoid guys alot too so the pass pro wasn't great.

This could have easily been a blowout win Acho dropped a pick, Wilson had chances at 3 or 4 of them. We won despite our turnovers and inability to capitalize on their mistakes.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The one Kolb got hurt on was a 3 step drop he just didn't get the ball out quick enough. But yeah Skelton was having to avoid guys alot too so the pass pro wasn't great.

This could have easily been a blowout win Acho dropped a pick, Wilson had chances at 3 or 4 of them. We won despite our turnovers and inability to capitalize on their mistakes.

Precisely Russ! We can only hope that next season, with a full camp under his belt, Kolb will have developed improved rhythm with the offense so that he can get the ball out quicker. Our o-line still has pass protection issues for sure... however, a HUGE part of the problem is how much time Kolb holds onto the ball!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Removing what anyone feels about Kolb's talent, Kolb may be too fragile to be a viable option as QB. This is now his 4th injury, and 2nd concussion, in what been a rather brief on field career, its his 5th injury if you believe he suffered a concussion during the Washington game... which would be his 3rd concussion.

I dont care how much anyone loves Kolb, unless the team is sold on Skelton's potential then they need to be looking at a QB with a mid round pick this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, Kolb is incredibly brittle. that miuch can't be argued.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kolb is fine. Skelton was bad and good.

However, Skelton showed some GREAT escapablity today...Big Ben style. I worry about his accuracy...it is a big issue. He's got a good arm, makes poor reads and throws too high. Fix the reads is doable...fixing the accuracy is very difficult.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Removing what anyone feels about Kolb's talent, Kolb may be too fragile to be a viable option as QB. This is now his 4th injury, and 2nd concussion, in what been a rather brief on field career, its his 5th injury if you believe he suffered a concussion during the Washington game... which would be his 3rd concussion.

I dont care how much anyone loves Kolb, unless the team is sold on Skelton's potential then they need to be looking at a QB with a mid round pick this year.

He was kneed by a DLineman in the back of the head. Hard to blame him for being injured but AMAZINGLY you do.

Post something besides anti-Kolb crap please. The act is getting real old

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Kolb is fine. Skelton was bad and good.

However, Skelton showed some GREAT escapablity today...Big Ben style. I worry about his accuracy...it is a big issue. He's got a good arm, makes poor reads and throws too high. Fix the reads is doable...fixing the accuracy is very difficult.

Reads with the exception of 1 were fine (the 1st INT was just a good play where we were unlucky that it was tipped up). His mechanics are what is holding him back and why the lack of an offseason has been a killer for him

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been sold that Skelton is the Cardinals QBOTF for some time but I still draft another QB. Never can be too sure. ;)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Not many players would not get a concussion after getting a knee to the back of the head. I still feel Kolb is the better QB, but I give Skelton credit because he was the QB during the win and there is no denying it

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many players would not get a concussion after getting a knee to the back of the head. I still feel Kolb is the better QB, but I give Skelton credit because he was the QB during the win and there is no denying it

I have seen many player over the years take legs to the back of head and get concussions. Dont know where you would come up with that conclusion at all?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I have seen many player over the years take legs to the back of head and get concussions. Dont know where you would come up with that conclusion at all?

Re-read it shane. He was saying that alot of the players that get hit to the back of the head get a concussion

Only Phrazbit was saying something that this was a sign that he lacks durability. Of course he would blame anything and everything on Kolb so that shouldn't shock anyone

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-read it shane. He was saying that alot of the players that get hit to the back of the head get a concussion

Only Phrazbit was saying something that this was a sign that he lacks durability. Of course he would blame anything and everything on Kolb so that shouldn't shock anyone

oops must have skipped right over the "not" lol :D

:thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reads with the exception of 1 were fine (the 1st INT was just a good play where we were unlucky that it was tipped up). His mechanics are what is holding him back and why the lack of an offseason has been a killer for him

I disagree...he doesn't progress through reads at all. Maybe it was because of what you see at the game, but there was a late play when Larry was in the slot, rant outside and was WIDE open. I mean, WIDE open. He didn't even look that deep, and threw a bad pass that was incomplete, and Larry stood there shocked, at the 5 yard line. I don't know how deep Larry was in his read progression, but he was open from the jump of the play, and would have scored. Everyone, including Larry, was in shock.

He doesn't necessarily make BAD reads, but he often (quite often) doesn't make the best read.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I blame Kolb for the win today..:)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I disagree...he doesn't progress through reads at all. Maybe it was because of what you see at the game, but there was a late play when Larry was in the slot, rant outside and was WIDE open. I mean, WIDE open. He didn't even look that deep, and threw a bad pass that was incomplete, and Larry stood there shocked, at the 5 yard line. I don't know how deep Larry was in his read progression, but he was open from the jump of the play, and would have scored. Everyone, including Larry, was in shock.

He doesn't necessarily make BAD reads, but he often (quite often) doesn't make the best read.

While watching the game on TV, they showed him go through his progressions when he was given the time. The problem is that doesn't happen very often.

Our pass protection is horrendous and like I've said all season its difficult to judge QB play because of this glaring flaw. OT is the number one need this offseason.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skelton was pretty as at times and pretty good at times. Still think Kolb will be a better QB and may not have been as close had he played whole game.

Shane thinks Skelton is pretty.

seesred

Reaction score
Skelton 3 TD's a 109 QB rating. A great day fopr a player that took NO snaps during this weeks practice. Thrown into a tough game and did his job. At least 1 of the turnovers was missed by a player who tripped it to a NIner.

Kolb is our starter but I like what the kid did today off the bench.

GBR

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

I think they should draft a QB to be the third stringer. It appears that Bartel has reached his ceiling.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rob Johns--I mean, Kevin Kolb, got hurt on a play that should never have happened. The ball should have been thrown away by then. He had no idea the rush was there. He still needs a lot of work on his pocket presence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Skelton came in an played well enough for us to win, which is all I can ask from our backup QB. Our defense played huge today, and Fitz was unstoppable. Great win, and I'm not convinced either QB is our QBOF, but it is hard to tell behind that offensive line.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
106+ QB rating for John Skelton.,,,,,He still has a lot of upside, let him play it out....
Kolb wants 8 seconds every down, nobody gets that.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where can you listen to the entire post-game conferences?

I think you can get the press conferences on NFL.com. Whis said this to Calvisi on the Cards' post-game program. They'll link to it on the web page and the podcast feed tomorrow.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was kneed by a DLineman in the back of the head. Hard to blame him for being injured but AMAZINGLY you do.

Post something besides anti-Kolb crap please. The act is getting real old

lol, how is it "anti-kolb crap" to point out that he has been injured several times? And in my like 20 posts today I probably mentioned Kolb twice... and this particular thread is about KOLB! I guess it would have been more pleasing to you to read a post totally off subject... or maybe to shut out the facts and pretend Kolb hasnt already suffered several injuries in his brief PT.

So please, post something besides whining when people say something you disagree with. Its getting really old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson