Which Draft pick contributes the most this season?

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think the pick that contributes the most this season will be Gabe Watson. He can occupy guys on 1st and 2nd down making all of our LBs more effective. He will also make Dockett more effective in his role as a penetrating undertackle. Having this guy next to Bert Berry could cause serious matchup problems for other teams. Sounds as if his only blemish is getting worn down and taking plays off. If he only plays 2 downs he could be quite effective against the run. He and Clancy in a rotation should be very stout against the run. Dockett and CLancy can also rotate keeping each fresh. Depth is a wonderful thing on the DLINE.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with Pope this season, he should be the starter at TE and a great weapon over the middle. If we get our running game going to balance out the pass offense, you could see Pope put up some decent numbers for a RC TE. I'd like to say LUtui, but its hard to know how well a RC offensive lineman will do and we are crowded at G. I'm concerned about Watson's motor...he's definitely not an every down type of guy, but if Denny can motivate him he'll be a factor.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
vince56 said:
where's the poll? :shrug:
I wasn't looking for a vote....just for opinions. Pope was a really good value pick and will help in the redzone so he is a great choice as well. Maybe this should have been a poll.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
well, we haven't run the ball well...ever... so I'd say the big load of a guard we brought in, put him at LG right next to Davis, and run left all....freakin'....day.

So I say Lutui, with Pope a close 2nd.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am going to go with Duece. He is going to work his butt off for this team it sounds like. Much better run blocking LG instead of the more finesse style of Wells.

Leading to better run blocking. Which will lead to even better TOP(we were 6th last year but it still could be better), better red zone ability, less field goals, more points, less pressure on D and Pendy can be more aggressive.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deuce Lutiu. I think he will end up being a starter before the season is half over if no sooner.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
well, we haven't run the ball well...ever... so I'd say the big load of a guard we brought in, put him at LG right next to Davis, and run left all....freakin'....day.

So I say Lutui, with Pope a close 2nd.

Elton Brown was supposed to do that last year, and that didn't work out as planned. Lutui could be good enough to start, but right now he is penciled in to be a backup.

Watson, on the other hand could start from day one. If he can plug up the middle and free Dockett, Berry & Co. to disrupt the remaining gaps, he can have an immediate impact on the entire D. IMHO, all Watson needs to be is better than Davis for us to see a major difference.

The Shark

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Deuce Lutiu. I think he will end up being a starter before the season is half over if no sooner.

Leonard Pope. He will be a starter come week 1 and will help this offense a ton in the red zone.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pope--If he went to another TE-deficient team, I would guess it'd have been him--hands down. But, the Cardinals are unique in that they have a lot of targets in the passing game so I don't think a TE will make that much on an impact here. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll help; he just won't make a huge impact. The passing game already hums along.

Lutui--Well, there certainly IS room for improvement in the running game, isn't there? But, I don't think a single lineman (even if he is a starter from day-1) will make that much of an impact by himself. He won't dominate his first year...that just doesn't happen but once in a blue moon.

So, that brings us to Watson -- If he overcomes the urge to take plays off and Green can get his potential out of him, he can really affect what teams can do to us. We were not good at stopping the run up the middle for the last few years. Maybe Watson can help turn that around (though if we're going to be effective at stopping the run, we need Hayes or someone to really step up the MLB play, too...Watson should help with that as well).

My vote goes to Watson (though there's really no in-between with him, you know? He's either going to be really good or really bad).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Pope--If he went to another TE-deficient team, I would guess it'd have been him--hands down. But, the Cardinals are unique in that they have a lot of targets in the passing game so I don't think a TE will make that much on an impact here. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll help; he just won't make a huge impact. The passing game already hums along.

Lutui--Well, there certainly IS room for improvement in the running game, isn't there? But, I don't think a single lineman (even if he is a starter from day-1) will make that much of an impact by himself. He won't dominate his first year...that just doesn't happen but once in a blue moon.

So, that brings us to Watson -- If he overcomes the urge to take plays off and Green can get his potential out of him, he can really affect what teams can do to us. We were not good at stopping the run up the middle for the last few years. Maybe Watson can help turn that around (though if we're going to be effective at stopping the run, we need Hayes or someone to really step up the MLB play, too...Watson should help with that as well).

My vote goes to Watson (though there's really no in-between with him, you know? He's either going to be really good or really bad).

The passing game doesnt hummm along in the redzone. Im betting 6-8 TDs form pope. Thats impact. :D

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i believe pope will contribute more on offense and watson contribute more on defense barring any injuries. pope going to be huge on 3rd downs and redzone situations. watson going to be a good rotation dt and will be great with his size and strength in goaline situations. so those 2 will contribute the most for the cardinals in the offense and defense.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
IMO, Pope should have the biggest impact on the team for the upcoming season. He'ss start more games than any of our other rookies, thus giving him more opportunity to have an impact.

Go Cards!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Here is to hoping that all of us are correct.:thumbup:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I'm going to buck the trend here and say Leinert. Matt beats out Navarre as the backup QB, and when Kurt goes down we'll have to win at least a few games with Matt.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Leinart as well. My best case scenerio would be for the Cards to be 6-4 ish and Warner goes down with a minor injury that costs him a couple of games. Leinart steps in and leads the team to a few key wins, gets us to 8-4 and then Denny has a dilemma on his hands. Does he go back to Warner who led us to a 6-4 record or does he go with the kid who has guided us to two straight wins and has the city in a frenzy.

Nice dilemma to have.

Reaction score
Holian said:
I think Leinart as well. My best case scenerio would be for the Cards to be 6-4 ish and Warner goes down with a minor injury that costs him a couple of games. Leinart steps in and leads the team to a few key wins, gets us to 8-4 and then Denny has a dilemma on his hands. Does he go back to Warner who led us to a 6-4 record or does he go with the kid who has guided us to two straight wins and has the city in a frenzy.

Nice dilemma to have.
So you actually look forward to a QB controversy? :doi: