When's the last time we had a franchise Tight End?

egomaniac247

Veteran
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I became a Cardinals fan around the early 2000's. I fully admit I am doing this "fan stuff" completely backwards because I USED to be a Patriots fan prior to the early 2000's and adopted the Cardinals after the Pats won the 2004 Superbowl.

So anyways I caught the tail end of Plummer, but Josh McCown was the first Arizona QB I came to really appreciate. I was around for the Josh vs Navarre debates, then along came Warner, we tried the Leinart thing, went back to Warner, had the whole absolute few-year train wreck with Kolb/Anderson/Hall/Lindley/Bartel/Hoyer......sigh....then onto Carson and so forth.

So I'm asking this question: Why in the heck have we not been able to find a stud TE, much less even just a TE that consistently contributed?

Off the top of my head I remember Pope, Seals-Jones, Freddie Jones, Bergen, King, Fells, Housler, Dray, Heap, Patrick, blah blah blah. Gresham hasn't done anything and Niklas was a dud.

I mean, I guess if we go back in time far enough we had Novacek but he really made his name in Dallas I would think.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
nahhhh he didn’t become that tilll he was in Dallas.

Him and Rob Awalt where actually franchise aquality TEs but old man Bidwill did not want to spend the money on both and in typical Cardinals fashion Awalt turned out to then have the injury bug... Novacek was good before Dallas

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Him and Rob Awalt where actually franchise aquality TEs but old man Bidwill did not want to spend the money on both and in typical Cardinals fashion Awalt turned out to then have the injury bug... Novacek was good before Dallas

Cardinals should have kept Novacek.

It's a curse I tell you! :p

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was OK. Nothing special. In 5 years was little used and didn’t explode as a franchise TE until he became a Cowboy.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I assume you mean a joker, aka F (flex), aka U tight end instead of a traditional Y (mostly blocking) TE?

Gresham was OK (not great, but had some production ) in that role in Cinci. Once we got him we didn't use him as much and when we did it seemed like he would make drops at key times.

Cards are allergic to hybrid TEs on both sides of the ball. Dynamic offenses often make use of joker TEs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that our last two head coaches dont use tight ends really, it is irrelevant. if we had one, they would be wasting space anyway.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember the Cards trying once in the late 90's when they got a TE from San Diego who was supposed to be 'the guy' ...just another dud

oooo there was also Todd Heap....who ended up being a heap of .......

Yea TE is a position we can never get right on offense and they can never cover on defense

If there's a position the Cardinals care less about it's TE

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who was that real tall TE from Georgia we drafted? I was hoping his size would translate to the NFL, but nope he was a flop. I really wish we would utilize a TE with this offense.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Who was that real tall TE from Georgia we drafted? I was hoping his size would translate to the NFL, but nope he was a flop. I really wish we would utilize a TE with this offense.

Daren Fells?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is scoring touchdowns for someone else now.