What's this Jersey tie-in thing?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Two of the shows that I watch in a regular basis, Bones and South Park, both had entire episodes based around MTV's Jersey Shore.

Start to finish, 100% Guido-based action.

The characters in Bones kept making direct references to the show's title, but added "the" to the title...I guess to throw off what would seem to be product-placement (ie. The Jersey Shore).

And in South Park's case there was a good smattering of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" added for good measure.

Has this "Jersey Phenomenon" reached a popularity that warrants this kind of tie-in for a ratings boost?

Are Bravo, MTV, Fox, and Comedy Central all part of the same parent company?

Did MTV pay for the product-placement?

I just don't get it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Jersey Shore is so ridiculous, it was ripe for parody and satire--which the Bones and South Park writers are good at.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I get the parody angle, but it's the timing.

Just a couple of weeks apart...it's just hinky!

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is just coincidence. The whole Jersey fad needs to be made fun of. If both shows did it the same day then I would think something may have come from the parent company but if they happened a few weeks apart then it is nothing.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the popularity of JS. You couldn't make a parody of Jersey culture any better. You watch it because you keep waiting for a moment when one of the characters slips and reveals they're really a British Shakesperean actor. Like that scene in Analyze That when Austrlian Anthony LaPaglia is playing a New York mobster.

When so many people are so willing to live up to an unbearable stereotype for a few shameless moments of fame, it's hard to turn away. I think things aren't so special when you do parody of parody. Like someone doing an impression of Dana Carvey doing an impression of George Bush -- the irritation factor goes up 10 fold.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the popularity of JS. You couldn't make a parody of Jersey culture any better. You watch it because you keep waiting for a moment when one of the characters slips and reveals they're really a British Shakesperean actor. Like that scene in Analyze That when Austrlian Anthony LaPaglia is playing a New York mobster.

When so many people are so willing to live up to an unbearable stereotype for a few shameless moments of fame, it's hard to turn away. I think things aren't so special when you do parody of parody. Like someone doing an impression of Dana Carvey doing an impression of George Bush -- the irritation factor goes up 10 fold.
You might be correct, if it was possible to be more irritating than Dan Carvey. Maybe Martin Short...