What will become of Robbie Ray?

After the 2020 season, Robbie Ray...

• Total voters

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man is Robbie Ray a puzzling player or what? So many signs there that suggest he should be a consistent solid contributor... a strong #2 and maybe even a #1. But...

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His control will not get there.

My personal opinion.

However, the right coach might come along and change that.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He seems to be better when he pitches quickly. Just MHO. It seems to help his rhythm.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As I posted in the game thread, Robbie in closeups appeared to be sweating all through the game (in an air conditioned arena). I wonder why.

No one else that they zoomed in on showed that.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I picked will not be re-signed but I think he could be traded as well. He will want / command more than ARZ can give him but he won't be an ace. If they trade him then maybe they can get a couple of good prospects depending on him not turning into a back of the rotation guy in the next couple of years. I think Goldschmidt will be the only player ARZ makes an attempt to keep as he is the face of the franchise but until Greinke and Tomas' deals come off the books ARZ is going to be conservative with their payroll IMO, particularly if they drop from playoff contention in next couple of years after losing FA's like Corbin & Pollock.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is 2019 is a mirror image of 2018. 2020 he goes off pitching like he is a top of line ace causing Hazen to sign him to a long term, big money deal after which Ray starts pitching like he is now. Fans curse Ray and Hazen for the horrible deal.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How many more years on his contract with the Dbacks?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff Wiser‏@OutfieldGrass24 2m2 minutes ago
Robbie Ray in 2018

Average against: .215 (9th-best in NL)
Strikeout rate: 31.4% (3rd-best in NL)
Walk rate: 13.3% (worst in MLB)

*min 120IP

Oy! It would be in his best interest to clean that up.

Need a really good pitching coach that help him clean up his mechanics. Is command something that can be corrected? I hear a lot about guys with electric arms but can’t hit the broad side of a barn, ARZ had a couple of prospects that fit that description but never made it to big leagues.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think, barring injury, he's going to be a solid pitcher for quite a while. If he ever gets good command of his fastball he could become an ace.

I also think we're going to trade him during next season because (barring a massive escalation of the payroll) a fire sale seems almost inevitable and probably the best course of action for the franchise. Hopefully he's having a really good year when it happens.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And that is meaningful why? Robbie Ray is no Kershaw.

Not many are Kershaw... but, if Robbie can ever figure out his command and gain better control, he can absolutely be a consistent dominant pitcher, capable of putting up 20 win seasons and sub-3.00 ERA’s, with over 200 K’s and a sub-1.10 WHiP.
Don’t know if he’ll ever get there. But there is no doubt in my mind that he’s close and that the potential is 100% there!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson