What should be the asking price be for Hollywood?(Carolina)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why a good organization (Ravens) were more than happy to take a first rounder for a guy they had no interest in paying.

Is there a person in the world that thinks "Hollywood" is worth top 10 WR money?

How could they not for this #1 WR?!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1) We are a very bad football team.

2) Hollywood is 5'9"; Dortch is 5'7". This is not a meaningful distinction.

3) Dortch and Hollywood's yards per target is almost identical, despite Hollywood having a 11.5 ADOT compared to Dortch's anemic 4.5.

Obviously because Dortch's snap count is so low, it's impossible to make much of a meaningful statistical case between them. My argument is not that Dortch should be starting over Brown; there's no reason for that. But I'd rather give Brown's snaps to Dortch this season when we're bad and collect a second-round pick from Carolina.

There's nothing special about Hollywood Brown, and he's had a ton of opportunities to show that there is.
I'd rather sleep with Taylor Swift, but here we are. It's a nonsensical view that Carolina would give up a 2nd rounder for Brown at this point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A Ravens organization that struggles to evaluate WR consistently...
Their QB creates challenges in that regard.

I'll ask you - where do you think Hollywood is in the WR hierarchy? Are you comfortable paying him top 10 WR money? Doesn't block, good but not great #'s, too small - what is the appeal? Why pay a guy like that big money?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why a good organization (Ravens) were more than happy to take a first rounder for a guy they had no interest in paying.

Is there a person in the world that thinks "Hollywood" is worth top 10 WR money?
I didn't think Kirk was worth it either. Valuations, especially at the WR just seem broken right now.

If the options are pay him 20M a year, or trade him for a 2nd rounder, I'm pretty split on what to do.

It does seem weird, that a lot of people that want us to keep our young talent, (Murphy/Allen) are some of the same ones that want us to trade Hollywood.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think Kirk was worth it either. Valuations, especially at the WR just seem broken right now.

If the options are pay him 20M a year, or trade him for a 2nd rounder, I'm pretty split on what to do.

It does seem weird, that a lot of people that want us to keep our young talent, (Murphy/Allen) are some of the same ones that want us to trade Hollywood.
It only seems weird to people who view things in absolutes/black and white.

I mean, you really don’t see the difference signing a good young CB to an 8 million per deal versus a bad #1 WR to a 20 million dollar per year contract? One is a reasonable contract and the other cannibalizes a much bigger chunk of the cap with average to below average bang for his bucks.

Is that really that hard to understand? Not all FA are made the same as far as impact on the field or on the cap.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Context matters.

Paying the right players at the right positions is key - yes, WR is a very valuable position, but paying top money to a good but not great undersized player seems risky to me.

Hollywood ain't the guy for me. Too small, not a leader, and not productive enough to justify a monster contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would anyone here sign a Brandin Cooks in his prime to a long term 20 million dollar per year deal?

No? Then why the hell would we sign the poor man’s version of him to the same deal?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Kind of to play devil's advocate here, but if Hollywood signed the eighth-richest contract among WRs tomorrow, He'd be in the top 12-15 by this time next year. I don't think that's a big deal, one way or the other. Particularly when you're going to surround him with cheap players and rookies for the guaranteed years of that deal.

You're going to have to pay someone. Hollywood isn't a "bad" wide receiver. He's one of the worst #1 receivers in the league, but he's a perfectly cromulent starter and would be a good second option on a good team.

But I'd trade him for a 2025 second rounder in a heartbeat.

I'd rather sleep with Taylor Swift, but here we are. It's a nonsensical view that Carolina would give up a 2nd rounder for Brown at this point.
Okay.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not split

Trade him
I get why people want him traded. I'm not sure yet.

It only seems weird to people who view things in absolutes/black and white.
That's rich. Most of your posts seem to deal in absolutes/black and whites, and you berate the people who don't agree with you.
I mean, you really don’t see the difference signing a good young CB to an 8 million per deal versus a bad #1 WR to a 20 million dollar per year contract? One is a reasonable contract and the other cannibalizes a much bigger chunk of the cap with average to below average bang for his bucks.
There are tons of differences. The positions they play, their age, the amount of money they will likely command on the FA market, etc.

I already mentioned that I believe that the WR valuations are skewed.

Do you think Hollywood is a young, talented player?
Is that really that hard to understand?
See above. You may want to do some introspection and see why you consistently do this when debating.
Not all FA are made the same as far as impact on the field or on the cap.
No one has argued this. Not sure why you are implying that people are.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For sure! I just have no interest in paying Hollywood! There are 20-30 WR I'd rather have - that's way too many!
How many of them are available, though? Ja'Marr Chase isn't walking through that door. Would you pay Tee Higgins that kind of money? Curtis Samuel has a void year. Michael Pittman, Jr.? Donovan Peoples-Jones? These are the pending free agents who are under 30 and currently playing 80% or more of their team's snaps.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you think Hollywood is a young, talented player?
To be fair, you're requesting a black-and-white response here. The answer doesn't really matter, because it depends on to whom he's being compared.

Is he younger and more talented than I? Yes.

Is he younger and more talented than Ja'Marr Chase? Absolutely not.

Is he younger and more talented than Michael Wilson? Definitely no on the former, and the latter...?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
How many of them are available, though? Ja'Marr Chase isn't walking through that door. Would you pay Tee Higgins that kind of money? Curtis Samuel has a void year. Michael Pittman, Jr.? Donovan Peoples-Jones? These are the pending free agents who are under 30 and currently playing 80% or more of their team's snaps.
Yeah - it's a yuck list for sure. If we're in a position to draft Harrison, then problem solved. I'd much rather roll with Harrison and Wilson or another draftee than to invest in "Hollywood". Get a couple of guys to fill roles at the position and spend the money elsewhere. God knows we have plenty of spots that could use attention.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use Hollywood this year to help eval Murray, then recieve a comp pick if he is not in the long term plans seems prudent.
I don’t understand this line of thinking… there is literally no guarantee of a compensation pick being awarded, especially considering the amount of free agent money we’re going to have to spend in the market.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, you're requesting a black-and-white response here. The answer doesn't really matter, because it depends on to whom he's being compared.
Of course I am. It is a directly related to my post, and cheese's response. At some point, there is a baseline that must be established.
Is he younger and more talented than I? Yes.

Is he younger and more talented than Ja'Marr Chase? Absolutely not.

Is he younger and more talented than Michael Wilson? Definitely no on the former, and the latter...?
Young/talented of course is subjective. I think we all agree that it isn't that subjective. Everyone knows that Hollywood is more talented than any one of us, but not as talented as Ja'Marr Chase.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. That's the risk, and the rub. It's probably why I am leaning 60/40 to paying him at this point. We're expected to have what, 65M in cap space?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young/talented of course is subjective. I think we all agree that it isn't that subjective. Everyone knows that Hollywood is more talented than any one of us, but not as talented as Ja'Marr Chase.
I absolutely refuse to admit that Hollywood is more talented than me…. pshhhh

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane wasn't quick enough to save Linderbee from getting into a fight with a dozen or so bar stools. There were a LOT of drinks flowing that night, and I stupidly agreed to be the DD.
In my defense I was 28 feet away at the other end of the shuffle board table with a great view to the debacle….. You were in a bar stool about 8 feet away…. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard