What is the plan?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep suggesting Rose, but no one even notices. Anyone have any thoughts on adding Derrick Rose as the veteran guard in this scenario. I do not think he will be expensive unless Chicago really decides they want him back.

If we sign Rose then we'll need to count on him being healthy for at least 2/3 of the season and counting on Rose to be healthy at this point is foolish, IMO. Even when he's been healthy it seems there is a fair bit of drama that surrounds him so I'd rather not bring him in at all unless he costs the veteran minimum and I think he's earned a higher payday than that next year, or a few teams will be willing to risk more than a minimum contract signing him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep suggesting Rose, but no one even notices. Anyone have any thoughts on adding Derrick Rose as the veteran guard in this scenario. I do not think he will be expensive unless Chicago really decides they want him back.

all depends on cost and even signing him shouldn't preclude Morant being drafted (which it prob couldn't because the draft takes place before FA, unless we have a wink wink deal in place with Rose).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would be thrilled to have Rose, Morant and a veteran point guard to be named. Morant will need some grooming so Rose would start.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Rose and Goran Dragic are about the same to me. They both probably want too long a contract for what they have left in the tank.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be thrilled to have Rose, Morant and a veteran point guard to be named. Morant will need some grooming so Rose would start.
I would think it would be Rose, Tyler, and Morant. Rose can also play the two to back up Book. Tyler provides a nice defensive presence. If Rose gets hurt, Ja gets more time sooner. Ja is a similar player to a young Rose.

A guard rotation of Rose, Book, Tyler, Morant, and a vet FA 2 (Daniels?) would have some nice balance. I would not have a problem sliding Mikal in at the two at times as well. He can defend the position.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would think it would be Rose, Tyler, and Morant. Rose can also play the two to back up Book. Tyler provides a nice defensive presence. If Rose gets hurt, Ja gets more time sooner. Ja is a similar player to a young Rose.

A guard rotation of Rose, Book, Tyler, Morant, and a vet FA 2 (Daniels?) would have some nice balance. I would not have a problem sliding Mikal in at the two at times as well. He can defend the position.
What if we added Morant in the draft, and instead spent the big bucks on Tobias Harris or Julius Randle at PF? A guy like Rose would eat up all our cap space.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if we added Morant in the draft, and instead spent the big bucks on Tobias Harris or Julius Randle at PF? A guy like Rose would eat up all our cap space.
Nah. Don't want him if he eats all our space. To me, Rose would not be the big FA signing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rose, Tyler and Morant are a nice trio that can start at point guard.

However, it raises questions for me if Morant is this low in the pecking order.

For example early draft selections like De'Aaron Fox, Trae Young and Shai were inserted into starting roles.

I'm hoping Morant is at least capable of a backup role at point guard.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For example early draft selections like De'Aaron Fox, Trae Young and Shai were inserted into starting roles.

Not directed at your Mainstreet more or less agreeing. We're not drafting someone to be a secondary or tertiary option. Ja would need to start.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not directed at your Mainstreet more or less agreeing. We're not drafting someone to be a secondary or tertiary option. Ja would need to start.
Disagree that he would need to start from the get go. Putting him in a position to have to earn more and more minutes and eventually the starting spot would be an excellent position to be in to start next season.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
A team that won 19 games because of a lack of a PG needs a starting PG one way or another. If Morant is not a staring PG right now he is not what the Suns need.

They must hit a home run with a starting caliber player with this pick or it needs to be traded for a starting PG.

What we don't need is to run with TJ2 and a hope and a prayer that Morant will develop, win 39 games and find out Morant is not going to cut it. Then we are stuck with no cap to spend, no PG and the 15th pick going into the following season.

I have no idea if Morant can start right away but if the suns don't think he can drafting him is not the right move.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A team that won 19 games because of a lack of a PG needs a starting PG one way or another. If Morant is not a staring PG right now he is not what the Suns need.

They must hit a home run with a starting caliber player with this pick or it needs to be traded for a starting PG.

What we don't need is to run with TJ2 and a hope and a prayer that Morant will develop, win 39 games and find out Morant is not going to cut it. Then we are stuck with no cap to spend, no PG and the 15th pick going into the following season.

I have no idea if Morant can start right away but if the suns don't think he can drafting him is not the right move.
This is too extreme. What is your goal for 2019-2020? Nobody outside of pick #1 is going to be rated as starter quality. So why draft at all??

Having a Kemba Walker isn’t going to get us a championship next year. Why do we need a veteran starting point guard, no exceptions?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This teams issues are deeper than PG. However, PG is a major reason. Coaching is #2 on my list and needing some other impact players to round out the roster is a must. You can't blame EVERYTHING on not having a PG. If we put all those eggs in that basket we are going to fall flat on our faces.

I agree that team needs fill this spot either by trade, FA or draft. I don't care how they get it done unless that would mean them passing on Zion or Morant (assuming we got the #1 or #2). Outside of that I am good.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
This is too extreme. What is your goal for 2019-2020? Nobody outside of pick #1 is going to be rated as starter quality. So why draft at all??

Having a Kemba Walker isn’t going to get us a championship next year. Why do we need a veteran starting point guard, no exceptions?

Nobody outside of pick #1 is going to be rated as starter quality. Is this accurate?

Simply put, if everyone is convinced that Igor is not the problem and the #1 issue is not having a quality starting PG, it seems obvious we should get one.

If there are questions about Morants ability to be a starter right away drafting him is very risky given the suns history in the draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

So that the rest of the team doesn't continue running around like chickens with their heads cut off, the way they have the past two seasons, and so the list of players wanting out doesn't expand beyond Bledsoe, Chandler, Ariza and Warren to Booker and Ayton.

Reason enough for you?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nobody outside of pick #1 is going to be rated as starter quality. Is this accurate?

Simply put, if everyone is convinced that Igor is not the problem and the #1 issue is not having a quality starting PG, it seems obvious we should get one.

If there are questions about Morants ability to be a starter right away drafting him is very risky given the suns history in the draft.

I think both Igor AND the lack of an NBA point guard and power foward are problems preventing the development and growth of the team.

I also think that even best case scenario, Morant is at least 2 years away from being even an average NBA starting point guard.

And yes, this makes drafting him and starting him right away VERY risky, not because of the Suns' drafting history, but because of the Suns' recent history in failing to develop their draft picks, particularly those thrown into the starting line-up right away, which of course brings us back to coaching and Igor...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Morant shouldn't be thrown into the fire right away but he should be capable of starting later in the season. This is why a player is drafted as early as #2. He shouldn't be a project player.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. odds are we don't get to pick Morant
2. do we believe Sarver and Jones can even pull of a trade involving the 2 pick?
3. none of us has any idea whether Morant could start or when

obviously, he'd have some opportunity to show what he's got before the season starts and if he's not ready, he'd have the opportunity to prove himself off the bench

granted, it's important to know if he could start so we could decide whether we should also trade for a pg
but we CANT

all i can really say is, if we draft him 2nd or trade significant assets to get him
we sure as hell should be open to starting him on a team that won only 19 games all season!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Morant shouldn't be thrown into the fire right away but he should be capable of starting later in the season. This is why a player is drafted as early as #2. He shouldn't be a project player.
I would think his learning curve should be about like Trae. Start out slow, pick it up by mid-january, humming along by the end of the year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agreed. Taz I have no idea what your expectations are, but they seem wholly unrealistic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I am the exception. I see young guys around the league stepping up at PG. Magic Johnson had to hop right in at PG. There's several examples throughout NBA history where rookies start at PG. If Morant is the best player at that position for us, he starts. It's that easy in my mind.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Agreed. Taz I have no idea what your expectations are, but they seem wholly unrealistic.

A starting PG that can allow Booker to play SG. Not a superstar or even a guy like Walker, just someone that doesn't hurt the team and averages more than 3 assists per game.

The idea that this seems unrealistic speaks to how far the franchise has fallen.

All I'm saying is that if Morant is a "project" the suns should look elsewhere to fill this need. The suns need a sure thing or as close to it as they can get.

Bookers health is also a consideration. If we draft a project that needs a year to develop we will be in really bad shape "when" Booker gets hurt next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think his learning curve should be about like Trae. Start out slow, pick it up by mid-january, humming along by the end of the year.

I would be thrilled if Morant developed as quickly as Trae Young. Bringing him off the bench early in the season is the right way to do it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Progress is not all-or-nothing. Has anyone here advocated the Suns winning a championship next year?

I hope someone in charge on the Suns understands that. This season, it took too long to show hints of progress.

And, over the past eight seasons, it has been regression rather than progress.

You ask why we need a veteran starting Point Guard? To make the rest of the offense better.

And to hold fort until a rookie PG develops NBA skill and confidence to fill that role.

Using our top pick on a Power Forward would be far less of a challenge to achieve success.

The Suns have been overloaded with youngsters. To continue that at Point Guard is to continue the problems.

Last edited: