What is the plan?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Progress is not all-or-nothing. Has anyone here advocated the Suns winning a championship next year?

I hope someone in charge on the Suns understands that. This season, it took too long to show hints of progress.

And, over the past eight seasons, it has been regression rather than progress.

You ask why we need a veteran starting Point Guard? To make the rest of the offense better.

And to hold fort until a rookie PG develops NBA skill and confidence to fill that role.

Using our top pick on a Power Forward would be far less of a challenge to achieve success.

The Suns have been overloaded with youngsters. To continue that at Point Guard is to continue the problems.
You're not answering the question.

You want a veteran point guard. A veteran point guard who is better than Tyler Johnson. Already, your list is pretty short. Take away those point guards who are under contract and won't be traded, and those high value point guards that won't or can't sign here and what do you have left??

You want an experienced point guard who can hold down the fort while a rookie PG develops. Fine. Tell me again why Tyler Johnson doesn't fit that exact definition?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using our top pick on a Power Forward would be far less of a challenge to achieve success.

HOLY F. THERE ARE NO POWER FORWARDS WORTH A HIGH PICK IN THIS DRAFT.

Saying the above as if the Suns would ignore good PF options in the draft without acknowledging there aren't even mediocre PF options where we're going to pick unless we get Zion either says you're not knowledgable about the players in this draft/who's coming out or just live in a myopia where you blow our lottery pick on ANY PF because that's what the team needs. This is becoming like your inane arguments about the Center position. The team not only had to be in position to take a great C (like a top 2 pick), but there ALSO had to be a Center worth taking in any draft we actually did get that chance. The Suns were never in a position to draft a Shaq, Zo, Mutombo, etc... and when they did go big, you probably celebrated them getting a stiff like Joel Barry Carrol. When you reach for a player simply because he plays a position of need, you get that stupid pick or the stupid as hell moves like trading for Hot Rod Williams or signing Luc Longley to an absurd contract.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You want an experienced point guard who can hold down the fort while a rookie PG develops. Fine. Tell me again why Tyler Johnson doesn't fit that exact definition?

again, because Tyler is, at best, a backup pg (11 pt, 4 ast, 37% per 31 minutes with Suns)
but i don't object to him filling in as a cheap option on a rebuilding team while we get Morant up to speed

if we don't get Morant, we need to deal with the pg position as the hole that it is
i'm still interested in developing Melton and Okobo off the bench

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would think his learning curve should be about like Trae. Start out slow, pick it up by mid-january, humming along by the end of the year.

If next season we at all resemble the Atlanta Hawks from this season, expect both Booker and Ayton to demand trades.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're not answering the question.

You want a veteran point guard. A veteran point guard who is better than Tyler Johnson. Already, your list is pretty short. Take away those point guards who are under contract and won't be traded, and those high value point guards that won't or can't sign here and what do you have left??

Because Tyler Johnson is NOT a point guard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A starting PG that can allow Booker to play SG. Not a superstar or even a guy like Walker, just someone that doesn't hurt the team and averages more than 3 assists per game.

The idea that this seems unrealistic speaks to how far the franchise has fallen.

All I'm saying is that if Morant is a "project" the suns should look elsewhere to fill this need. The suns need a sure thing or as close to it as they can get.

Bookers health is also a consideration. If we draft a project that needs a year to develop we will be in really bad shape "when" Booker gets hurt next season.
lol now I think your expectations are too low.

First you don’t want Morant if he can’t start immediately as a rookie. Now you just want a guy that can average more than 3 assists per game.

No rookie should be counted in to start immediately. But literally every rookie is a “project.” Look at Lonzo ball. He was a “sure thing” coming out. So just becasue morant might not start immediately doesn’t make him someone to pass on. Particularly not for a low ceiling stopgap pg who can average more than 3 assists per game.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
lol now I think your expectations are too low.

First you don’t want Morant if he can’t start immediately as a rookie. Now you just want a guy that can average more than 3 assists per game.

No rookie should be counted in to start immediately. But literally every rookie is a “project.” Look at Lonzo ball. He was a “sure thing” coming out. So just becasue morant might not start immediately doesn’t make him someone to pass on. Particularly not for a low ceiling stopgap pg who can average more than 3 assists per game.

First you don’t want Morant if he can’t start immediately as a rookie. I think what I said, or at least what I intended to say is that the suns should find a PG that can start next season. If the consensus is that Morant can start right away, like Ayton did for example then go for it. If not trade for someone who can.

guy that can average more than 3 assists per game. That was intended to be a jab at TJ2 averaging 2.5APG. Sorry for the confusion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
HOLY F. THERE ARE NO POWER FORWARDS WORTH A HIGH PICK IN THIS DRAFT.

Saying the above as if the Suns would ignore good PF options in the draft without acknowledging there aren't even mediocre PF options where we're going to pick unless we get Zion either says you're not knowledgable about the players in this draft/who's coming out or just live in a myopia where you blow our lottery pick on ANY PF because that's what the team needs. This is becoming like your inane arguments about the Center position. The team not only had to be in position to take a great C (like a top 2 pick), but there ALSO had to be a Center worth taking in any draft we actually did get that chance. The Suns were never in a position to draft a Shaq, Zo, Mutombo, etc... and when they did go big, you probably celebrated them getting a stiff like Joel Barry Carrol. When you reach for a player simply because he plays a position of need, you get that stupid pick or the stupid as hell moves like trading for Hot Rod Williams or signing Luc Longley to an absurd contract.
UNLESS, we pick at 7! :devil:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We're almost certainly NOT giving up on DeAnthony Melton...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's interesting. Maybe the Bulls can make something happen there but other than Robin Lopez I'm not sure who they have that would help the Lakers win now. They have Zach LaVine and Otto Porter also but I don't think the Lakers would interested in either player given their current salaries. Porter is on a max contract and plays the same position as Lebron and LaVine is making $20 million a year for the next 3 years. Maybe a 3 team trade could be worked out. If the Bulls have that high of interest and believe they can find a way to make a trade for Ball, perhaps they go with Barrett instead of Morant if they pick #2.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones will be talking to the local media tomorrow. No Sarver no Bower.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

James Jones will be speaking to the local media tomorrow after firing Igor Kokoskov. Neither Jeff Bower or Robert Sarver will be joining Jones.

5:49 PM - 23 Apr 201

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the new Suns intro video. I see Oubre, Holmes and Johnson in the video not that it couldn't change.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Warren too! I did NOT see Jimmer.

I have to admit I was not looking for Jimmer. The way the video was made, it will be easy to edit.

Troy Daniels was in the video. No Bender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how is that a "new" intro video? It is the intro video from this last season...

Not if it includes Oubre and Johnson? I don't know when it was made but it would have to be newer than the one that introduced the team going into the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I just noticed it was from the 2018-19 season.

As Gilda Radner might say. Nevermind

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see why you posted it. It makes no sense for the Suns to tweet that out as something new today.

At first glance it looked to be new and I guess it was in a way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns might change their training staff as well. With all the injuries it's worth reviewing.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

.@kevinarnovitz said today on @ZachLowe_NBA’s podcast that the Suns might fully overhaul their basketball operations on all levels. Could lead to training staff being replaced for first time under Sarver’s ownership.

11:29 AM - 24 Apr 2019

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're almost certainly NOT giving up on DeAnthony Melton...

Don't be so sure. Okobo is under contract 3 more years, and has much more potential offensively