What if Zion says "No"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its all the talk all around the league now. Zion could decline to go to New Orleans. Some of it had to be prompted by the interview last night where he insisted anything could happen and he definitely had a look of shock and dismay.

What are the implications of the Pelicans are forced to trade Zion?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Has he signed with an agent yet? If not, I believe he still has the option to return to Duke if he wants, even though NO will retain his draft rights.

Poor NO - they have a fountain of good luck in getting both Davis and Williamson, and neither apparently wants to be there, even if the team would likely be pretty successful with both of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't I also read somewhere that he might be signing with Rich Paul?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just stupid.

So he goes back to duke, then next year he could still easily be drafted by another team he doesn't want to play for.

People act like New Orleans games can't be shown on TV or something. Players can be a superstar on any team.

Giannis is proof of it.

This is just BS spewed by pissed New York elitist a hole journalists.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn't signed an agent. New Orleans would have no ability to draft him if he withdraws from the draft.

Realistically he could tell them to trade the pick or he withdraws

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People act like New Orleans games can't be shown on TV or something. Players can be a superstar on any team. Giannis is proof of it.

Or Rich Paul convincing Zion that he can get him to New York or wherever he wants to go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think New Orleans would be one of the better destinations for a player.

I'd puke if he tries to force his way to New York or Los Angeles.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn't signed an agent. New Orleans would have no ability to draft him if he withdraws from the draft.

Realistically he could tell them to trade the pick or he withdraws

That is a hollow threat. Fans of every non major market would be pissed at him.

He would do more damage by that move than it would accomplish, and I don't believe he would be willing to do that with these new lottery rules where literally any of 10 teams would have a shot at him - and if Durant does go to New York - they won't be one of them.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or Rich Paul convincing Zion that he can get him to New York or wherever he wants to go.

He might be - but I bet that A-hole made the same promise about getting AD to the Lakers and we see how that turned out.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just stupid.

So he goes back to duke, then next year he could still easily be drafted by another team he doesn't want to play for.

People act like New Orleans games can't be shown on TV or something. Players can be a superstar on any team.

Giannis is proof of it.

He would not go back to Duke. NO would trade him. That would make more sense than drafting Ja.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is a hollow threat. Fans of every non major market would be pissed at him.

He would do more damage by that move than it would accomplish, and I don't believe he would be willing to do that with these new lottery rules where literally any of 10 teams would have a shot at him - and if Durant does go to New York - they won't be one of them.
Watch the smirking smarmy Cowherd talk about it. I hate that guy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would not go back to Duke. NO would trade him. That would make more sense than drafting Ja.

WHY?

It is an obvious bluff. He is not willing to do that. New York cannot give them enough value back for him - Their whole team and 3 future firsts are not worth Zion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't even have to go to Duke. He could just go play overseas for a year

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHY?

It is an obvious bluff. He is not willing to do that. New York cannot give them enough value back for him - Their whole team and 3 future firsts are not worth Zion.

How about 3 unprotected firsts and 4 pick swaps plus Knox? I do believe that Rich Paul is involved in this (off stage) and New Orleans can only fight so many battles on principle.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion is too likable to back out of the draft and dictate his way to a place like New York or LA. I remember reading his interview after his shoe blowout where he said he gave his word to his teammates that he'd play for Duke and so long as he's healthy that is what he'll do. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders and I doubt that Rich Paul will be able to influence him that much before even becoming his agent.

I don't want to see it happen but I put the odds of something like that happening at about 1%.

What I can see happening is Ainge trying to pull off a trade for Zion rather than AD and that becoming a big story. I don't think he'll be able to do it though.

I've read that New Orleans has had double the requests for seasons tickets after winning the lottery this year compared to when they won it back when Davis was picked. Zion is already making New Orleans money so they won't entertain the idea of dealing him. He is their savior, in a way, as far as keeping people interested with Davis on his way out.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about 3 unprotected firsts and 4 pick swaps plus Knox? I do believe that Rich Paul is involved in this (off stage) and New Orleans can only fight so many battles on principle.

They sold 2000 season tickets last night.

I would argue they can’t back down.

For the good of the league they can’t back down. Otherwise we might just as well contract the league to 6 teams.

I mean seriously if the suns got the first pick and he tried this crap are you seriously telling me you would want the suns to fold?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just the interviews I have seen, I would be shocked if he balked at the Pelicans. I think he was referring to trades, etc. You don't want to come out for the Pelicans, then get traded to another city.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s interesting, if this occurred a couple decades ago zion would be labeled a “bad guy” and relentlessly booed at most venues.

Today with YouTube and fanboys he’d still be adored despite taking such action.

If I’m the Pels I stand firm. If you don’t, then this coupled with davis’ actions would indicate to other players that you can just walk all over them whenever you want. A deadly bad look.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s interesting, if this occurred a couple decades ago zion would be labeled a “bad guy” and relentlessly booed at most venues.

Today with YouTube and fanboys he’d still be adored despite taking such action.

If I’m the Pels I stand firm. If you don’t, then this coupled with davis’ actions would indicate to other players that you can just walk all over them whenever you want. A deadly bad look.

Pels stood firm with Davis, and what happened to the GM? The Pels FO is in a tough spot now. Or Zion could just simply decide to go to the Pels.

Also, I'd like to see what, and if, Aron Nelson does with the body of Zion if he stays with the Pelicans.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has he signed with an agent yet? If not, I believe he still has the option to return to Duke if he wants, even though NO will retain his draft rights.

Poor NO - they have a fountain of good luck in getting both Davis and Williamson, and neither apparently wants to be there, even if the team would likely be pretty successful with both of them.

Define sign with an agent because given what has come out in the FBI trials and the Avenatti Nike case I think it's pretty apparent that Zion likely has an agent and has had one for a few years, but has he signed anything probably not. I think it's HIGHLY unlikely the NCAA would let him play at Duke next year though.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Zion is going to the Pels, to all the media dismay.

Did I say I despise Cowherd?