What are you reading now?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Finished Roma by Steven Saylor just I little while ago. I am now on to Empire.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
The Child Thief was really good, it was slow mving at first but it kept my interest and was a good story.

I am now listeneing to A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier written by Ishmael Beah.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Martian by Andy Weir.

About a group of astronauts on Mars. Pretty good book so far.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I have been acquiring all of Nesbo's books and am thinking of tackling those after I finish reading all of the Reacher books by Lee Child.

I am going to probably get into the Harry Hole (ha!) series after The Son. Really good book so far.

I read the first Jack Reacher book and really didn't like it. How does the 1st book stack up vs the rest of the series?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to probably get into the Harry Hole (ha!) series after The Son. Really good book so far.

I read the first Jack Reacher book and really didn't like it. How does the 1st book stack up vs the rest of the series?

Each book is pretty different, IMHO. Just depends on the situation Reacher finds himself in each time. Some are more interesting than others.

Currently reading One Shot (Book 9) - the one the Reacher movie was based on. Took me a while to find an older copy of the book without movie marketing or Tom Cruise on the cover. I refuse to see the movie and I definitely did not want to read the book and see a little tiny non-Reacher on the cover all the time. :D

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Each book is pretty different, IMHO. Just depends on the situation Reacher finds himself in each time. Some are more interesting than others.

Currently reading One Shot (Book 9) - the one the Reacher movie was based on. Took me a while to find an older copy of the book without movie marketing or Tom Cruise on the cover. I refuse to see the movie and I definitely did not want to read the book and see a little tiny non-Reacher on the cover all the time. :D

Read all over the Reacher books, the last two aside. Quite trashy but I enjoyed them all the same. Cruise as Reacher was a complete joke, although having seen the film he does do a decent job.

If you like Child's Reacher character then might I suggest you give Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar a go if you haven't already. Similar kind of set up to the Reacher books but a nice 'sports' angle and a more humour than Child.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like Child's Reacher character then might I suggest you give Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar a go if you haven't already. Similar kind of set up to the Reacher books but a nice 'sports' angle and a bit more humour than Child.

Thanks. I recently picked up a couple of these books. :cool:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds obvious, but its definitely worth starting at the beginning mate.

I got the whole lot for about 2 quid per book a year or so ago and just blitzed through the lot on my trains to/from work.

I am ridiculous about most authors. I try to get their books in order and read them "as they were written." I'll definitely read a series in order.

My dad is the opposite. He can read a series out of order and not mind at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read all over the Reacher books, the last two aside. Quite trashy but I enjoyed them all the same. Cruise as Reacher was a complete joke, although having seen the film he does do a decent job.

If you like Child's Reacher character then might I suggest you give Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar a go if you haven't already. Similar kind of set up to the Reacher books but a nice 'sports' angle and a more humour than Child.

I lost interest in Reacher after the first 4 or 5 books but I'm very fond of Harlan's series. Although I think it's more likely to appeal to Gregory Mcdonald or Robert B Parker kind of fans than Lee Child fans. Of course I might be saying that because I'm more of a Spenser, Fletch and Flynn fan than I am of Reacher but I've always preferred a little humor in this genre.

Steve

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I lost interest in Reacher after the first 4 or 5 books but I'm very fond of Harlan's series. Although I think it's more likely to appeal to Gregory Mcdonald or Robert B Parker kind of fans than Lee Child fans. Of course I might be saying that because I'm more of a Spenser, Fletch and Flynn fan than I am of Reacher but I've always preferred a little humor in this genre.

Steve

Fair comment that, just trying to steer BIM towards (as you rightly say) something similar but a lot more witty.

Can't say I have read Parker though. Worth a look eh?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard