Westbrook's connection to the Suns

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, a fellow poster and I were talking about the suns and I brought up the possibility of a master Suns plan that included the pursuit of Russel Westbrook. Before Durant pulled his version of NWO Hulk Hogan, the thought that Westbrook and Durant would split seemed unlikely.

However, during the press conference for our two new rookies, Head Coach Earl Watson made a side comment about how he would have considered a UCLA player but there weren't any that were draft eligible. It got a few laughs, but it made me immediately think about his connections. The one thing we know about Watson, is players seem to love him. As I looked deeper into this, I found this article from November of 2015, about the evolution of Russell Westbrook.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2587948-from-the-bottom-to-the-top-the-russell-westbrook-story

The Seattle SuperSonics' practice had been over for about 20 minutes. Starting point guard Earl Watson made his way up to the head coach’s office. P.J. Carlesimo was preparing to look at game tape of the Sonics' next opponent and return phone calls he had missed during the morning’s workout.

Watson knocked on the door and let himself in.

“You gotta see this kid,” Watson told him. “He’s the best player they have.”

Westbrook was on their radar, but the team was in the market for a big man. And the Sonics weren’t bowled over by his stats during his time at UCLA.

“But Earl was just bubbling,” says Carlesimo. “He kept telling us Westbrook was the best thing about the program. He made it his mission to convince us, so we started to take a serious look at him because he was so passionate.”

It's worth noting, the 2007-08 Bruins team was 35-4 and roster that included NBA players Kevin Love, Darren Collison, and Luc Mbah-a-Moute. Still Westbrook was pegged as THE man by Watson.

It goes on say, even though head coach PJ Carlesimo wanted Brook Lopez with the 4th pick, Watson's pitch ultimately swayed the Sonics GM Sam Presti to draft Russell.

Watson groomed Westbrook during his rookie season with the rookie taking over the starting PG midway through.

It's an interesting bond between these two and when you combine that, with the vision/momentum/belief that Watson and McD have instilled in the Valley, you start to see a plausible picture of Russel Westbrook in purple.

Not saying it's likely to happen, but it does add another layer to this exciting tale.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great stuff. I think it's a long shot that Westbrook would sign here (which is why I wouldn't trade the assets necessary to acquire him this year), but this connection adds a little credence to the idea that it's not impossible that he would choose us.

I say go forward with our young and exciting team. Maybe we will surprise some people this year and position ourselves as a desirable destination for the Westbrooks of the world. At the very least, Watson seems to be a nice recruiting asset in addition to being a promising coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some interesting information AsUdUdE.

I didn't know Watson had a connection to Westbrook but he has been around a long time.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you guys think it would take to get Westbrook w/o and extention and with one?

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What do you guys think it would take to get Westbrook w/o and extention and with one?

Trading for Westbrook makes 0 sense, no matter if he would take an extension or not. And he obviously would not sign an extension right now with the cap going up again.

Since the draft this is the most buzz that has been around the Suns in a long time. Why would they throw away their nicely shaping up rebuilt for a chance at Westbrook now and the delusion of being able to assemble a team around Westbrook that could challenge the Warriors before Westbrooks time is over?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading for Westbrook makes 0 sense, no matter if he would take an extension or not. And he obviously would not sign an extension right now with the cap going up again.

Since the draft this is the most buzz that has been around the Suns in a long time. Why would they throw away their nicely shaping up rebuilt for a chance at Westbrook now and the delusion of being able to assemble a team around Westbrook that could challenge the Warriors before Westbrooks time is over?

You'd be a fool not to kick the tires on acquiring a top 5 player in the league. At 27 he is only one year older than Bledsoe. The one year rental fear is a concern, but that also lowers his value and OKC's asking price. I'd consider giving up Bledsoe/Knight and a first in next year's draft for his Bird rights and the opportunity to sign him long term.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be a fool not to kick the tires on acquiring a top 5 player in the league. At 27 he is only one year older than Bledsoe. The one year rental fear is a concern, but that also lowers his value and OKC's asking price. I'd consider giving up Bledsoe/Knight and a first in next year's draft for his Bird rights and the opportunity to sign him long term.

If we had reason to believe he'd seriously consider re-signing, I'd probably take that gamble too. But I don't think that's at all likely. If he just wants to be "the man" he can stay in OKC and headline a roster that, frankly, we just can't compete with for at least a few years. And if he wants to be a big fish in a big pond he's probably off to LA or one of the other glamor destinations.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we had reason to believe he'd seriously consider re-signing, I'd probably take that gamble too. But I don't think that's at all likely. If he just wants to be "the man" he can stay in OKC and headline a roster that, frankly, we just can't compete with for at least a few years.

Without Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka what is so fancy about the Thunder's roster that we can't compete with?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

But OKC would never deal Westbrook for Bledsoe, Knight and a first.

Their best young player is a PG too, Cameron Payne.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we had reason to believe he'd seriously consider re-signing, I'd probably take that gamble too. But I don't think that's at all likely. If he just wants to be "the man" he can stay in OKC and headline a roster that, frankly, we just can't compete with for at least a few years. And if he wants to be a big fish in a big pond he's probably off to LA or one of the other glamor destinations.

True. No sense in giving up assets if we have no chance to resign him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Would the CBA allow for him to agree to an extension simultaneously with being traded?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
possible but he won't do it , he would lose money by doing that since the cap willl be even higher next year

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he wants to sign here he will next summer and it won't cost the Suns anything but money.

Seems like the Bird Rights are less and less an issue for these elite guys.

If the Suns want to have a shot at an elite player they need at least another season to improve their image.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I absolutely agree.. You can't look at the OKC situation in a Vacuum. The simplistic way of looking at it is there is no way the Thunder trade Westbrook for pennies on the dollar.
But..

A.) The Thunder CAN'T risk losing him
B.) Westbrook holds ALL the leverage
C.) The longer this goes, the lower value Westbrook will have regardless of the kind of season he is having.

Another wrinkle to this was a semi-cryptic text that Dwayne Wade sent out minutes after Durant announced his decision.

"Relationships are important people!"

Westbrook is notorious for keep a very tight inner circle. He does not let people in, so unlike Durant who apparently had a million different people in his ear telling him what to do, Westbrook is influenced by very few "outside".

In the end, as the trade deadline approaches, if he is still in OKC and they are a .500 team, Presti knows he could not handle the PR avalanche and over hit to the psyche OKC would face, so he will look to trade him. And given how things have played out they would want players locked in to long term contracts.

I honestly don't think McD would trade any of our young assets for him. Draft picks are another story. I think if we get a strong indication that he likes what he is seeing in Phoenix, trading Bledsoe and a 2 future firsts makes sense for both teams.

But in the end, I agree with Nachos and Devil, our ideal situation is focus on building our team and if next summer comes and we sway him GREAT. Until then its certainly a situation worth at least monitoring in OKC

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need to look at the situation through the eyes of Westbrook. Would he want to come to a rebuilding team like the Suns and stay? IMO, the answer is no. Perhaps in the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need to look at the situation through the eyes of Westbrook. Would he want to come to a rebuilding team like the Suns and stay? IMO, the answer is no. Perhaps in the future.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's been mentioned before but I cringe everytime I see one of these "let's get Superman" kind of threads. We just look so desperate when we do it, right now we're the goofy looking freshman talking about asking the sophomore cheerleader to the prom.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Westbrook is like Carmelo. You improve with him. He is an amazing talent. But by having him, you condemn yourself to being almost good enough, but not quite.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This a very valid point, but I think a guy like Westbrook would look at it another way too.

The NBA is about difference makers and 2017 Free Agency is stacked with them. So if you are a star, you either A.) decide your window is closing and try to form a super team. or B.) find a young team with talent on rookie deals and good contracts that has a great culture and willingness to build around YOU.

I think the Suns fall squarely into B. While LA will have the home draw, what would interest Westbrook I think is a young exciting team. Remember he's only 28, if he decides to leave OKC he doesn't have to form a super team. Instead, the idea of playing for a head coach you have a great relationship with, one hour away form home, get to be a beast on a team that has a mix of young potential stars and great chemistry role players, would be enticing.

Perhaps most underrated is the fact that Earl ALWAYS talks about family and how important it is for his team to be part of his family. If he has Westbrook's ear, the idea of coming into a great locker room that is a family environment and he gets to automatically be the patriarch, would at the very least make him pause to consider

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook is like Carmelo. You improve with him. He is an amazing talent. But by having him, you condemn yourself to being almost good enough, but not quite.

I think it's too early to say this. I think he can be the best player on a great team, a championship team. Just look at how close they came this season. I do think it's a real challenge to make it work with 2 such high usage guys on the same team but I don't put that on Westbrook. I'm not sure about Oladipo but I could easily see a team of Westbrook, traditional shooting guard (all star level), above average 3 and D small forward, Sabonis and Adams winning it all.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It just so happens we have
I think it's too early to say this. I think he can be the best player on a great team, a championship team. Just look at how close they came this season. I do think it's a real challenge to make it work with 2 such high usage guys on the same team but I don't put that on Westbrook. I'm not sure about Oladipo but I could easily see a team of Westbrook, traditional shooting guard (all star level), above average 3 and D small forward, Sabonis and Adams winning it all.

It just so happens we have a potential all-star level shooting guard, higher upside PF than Sabonis, and Len who averaged more points and rebounds than adams this year, albeit not as efficiently.

Oh btw, we also have two other all-star caliber guards, solid mix of young and veteran rotation players, and a bevy of cap space and future draft picks on the way...

The cabinet may not be as baron as it might seem to the outside :shrug:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Westbrooks prime is only 3-4 more years and even with Westbrook it would take longer than that to build a team to beat the Warriors.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd even throw in the Heat picks if we can get a verbal commitment that he will resign.

If there is an opportunity to acquire a top 5 player, you do it without blinking.

That said, chances of Westbrook actually liking playing for Phoenix is slim to none so all of it is a moot point anyway.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This is all crazy talk.
No way Westbrook will play in Phoenix.

sent from a fone

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn