were you ever a fan of a different NFL team before??

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the late 70s and all of the 80s I grew up in the Bay Area. Everyone that I knew were Niners fans. I was a Niner fan until like the 2nd grade when my aunt gave me a San Diego Charger vest. It had a badge on it with a Stallion and a lightning bolt that I instantly fell in love with. i used to draw it all the time in grade school. I started watching the Chargers and instantly fell in love with Air Coryell, Dan Fouts and all of the skill players. Of course right around that time the Niners started their historic run and winning several Super Bowls. I soon learned to hate the Niners.

Naturally as the Niners soared in the 80s my Chargers struggled. I quickly learned how to root for a bad team. Then miraculously one year the Chargers made it to the Super Bowl in the 90s. I was in college at that time and was so excited. Except that they had to play the hated Niners in that Super Bowl. Oh man was that a painful game to watch surrounded by Niner fans. My hatred for the Niners only grew that day.

After graduating from college in 96 I moved to the Valley. Being a huge NFL fan I couldn't believe how cheap Cardinals season tickets were. I gathered a group of about 10 friends and we all purchased season tickets together. Each year a couple of friends wouldn't renew their tickets till I was the only one left. Still I quickly learned to love my Cardinals having learned how to root for a loser back in my Charger days. I've been a die hard Cardinals fan since 1997.

Last edited:

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the early 70's, I was shamefully a Cowboys Fan. Favorite player was Calvin Hill. In 1974...became a Cardinal fan....have been since then.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Bears fan until 1989, when someone I knew got me into the Bills big time and was a fan through the 90s. One year, the local newspaper (AZ Republic or Phx Gazette?) published cutout Joe Bugel Halloween masks. That ticked some players off, and it caught my attention for some reason. I started to follow the team since, while remaining a Bills fan first. I didn't totally switch over to the Cards until 1999.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I was a Cards fan around 4 or 5 years old. My dad dressed me in Cards gear and my whole family was Cards fans. That was like 1970

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
Nope. Started watching them in the 70's when I was in grade school in St.Louis and been a fan ever since. Moved to central Texas when I was 8. I was a lone wolf in a sea of Cowboy fans (and that was back when the Cardinals were in the NFC East).

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was born and lived in Dallas until I was 13. Guess which team I became a fan of? Hint: I was an original season ticket holder since it only cost one dollar for a season pass for kids back then. Oh yes, it wasn't the Cowboys. It was the then Dallas Texans, who moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs.

Moved to Australia for a couple years and then once returned moved near San Diego and became a Charger fan during the great Dan Fouts era.

Moved to Tempe to get my 2nd degree from ASU and ended up staying here after that. Hated it when the Cards moved here for I was somewhat familiar with their history. Bought season tickets though since I lived 1 block from the stadium, almost right across the street.

Hated their futility those first years and thought of them only as total losers, too ignorant to learn how to win. But, like many of you I suppose, learned to call them my team after what seems to have been a long on and off again relationship. And now, after so many years, I am sure I will die a Cardinal fan, NFL champions or not.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born and raised in Phoenix. Without an NFL team I did not have a favorite team for a long time. However, our game of the week here seemed to always be Dallas. Then in the 70's I started following the Cowboys for 2 main reasons. QB Danny White was from ASU (as was I) and middle linebacker Bob Breunig went to Alhambra High school while I was there. When they left I went back to not having a favorite team until the Cardinals arrived in 88 and it has been all Cards since then.
You are an Arizona native?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up 2 hours north of Pittsburgh, 2 hours east of Cleveland, and 2 hours west of Buffalo. In my hometown, 40% of football fans are Steelers fans, 20% Browns fans, and 20% Bills fans.

So I grew up as a Houston Oilers fan. Lol.