were you ever a fan of a different NFL team before??

OP
OP
Red Samurai

Red Samurai

Reaction score
Looks like we have some outside fans of the Cardinals.

The NFL team who is geographically the closest to where I live are the Buffalo Bills. But I was never a fan of theirs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nope. Never even cared about football until the Cards got here but after my Dad blew off Kol Nidre (the highest of Jewish holidays) and took me to the Cards Cowboys MNF game (think it was the second game of the inaugural season), I instantly became a total Cardinals and Football junkie.
Being 7 years older than cheese the cards hadn’t yet moved to az during my formative football years. So I was a Rams fan (liked the uniforms, loved Eric Dickerson, loved Kevin Greene, and there were rumors they might move to phx) and bears (pops grew up in Chicago and was friends with bears tram doc, so I got to meet Walter Payton). Didn’t take long to convert me when the cards moved to AZ. I still have a REALLY ratty old unlicensed “Phoenix Cardinals” hat that I bought at the old Swap Meet when I was home from college when the move was announced. I was stoked to wear it back to school. Little did I know what I would mean for a decade of scorn and ridicule being surrounded by giants, cowboys, redskins, and eagles fans going to school back east.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I started watching football at about 9 years old and AZ didn’t have a team. Every week the Cowboys were in TV and I loved their helmets. So it was kind of a natural choice at the time.

When the Cards moved to AZ my mom bought me season tickets as a birthday gift that year. Went to every game for the first 3 seasons and never looked back. Was a true Cards fan ever since. My hometown team...
Wow, what a terrific bday present!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Was a bears far until Cards moved here. It has been a difficult journey but worth it.

cheesebeef

ASFN AWESOME
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being 7 years older than cheese the cards hadn’t yet moved to az during my formative football years. So I was a Rams fan (liked the uniforms, loved Eric Dickerson, loved Kevin Greene, and there were rumors they might move to phx) and bears (pops grew up in Chicago and was friends with bears tram doc, so I got to meet Walter Payton). Didn’t take long to convert me when the cards moved to AZ. I still have a REALLY ratty old unlicensed “Phoenix Cardinals” hat that I bought at the old Swap Meet when I was home from college when the move was announced. I was stoked to wear it back to school. Little did I know what I would mean for a decade of scorn and ridicule being surrounded by giants, cowboys, redskins, and eagles fans going to school back east.

He cheered for the Rams during that first season when they played the Cards. As did other brother not Ouchie cheer for the Niners.

All of which means I’m the best.

slanidrac16

ASFN Hero
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dad was a cardinal fan when they were here in Chicago. When they moved to St. Louis my dad and uncles would drive down to St. Louis for a couple of games a year and he started taking me with. I was 11 or 12. My dad passed away in 1982. I could never change teams. He would haunt my ass! Lol. Oh and do you know I hate the Bears!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started watching football at about 9 years old and AZ didn’t have a team. Every week the Cowboys were in TV and I loved their helmets. So it was kind of a natural choice at the time.

When the Cards moved to AZ my mom bought me season tickets as a birthday gift that year. Went to every game for the first 3 seasons and never looked back. Was a true Cards fan ever since. My hometown team...

Wow you are so my brother from another mother. Same thing.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Always the Cardinals, as far back as I can remember, since the early 80s.

Originally from New Jersey. My father grew up in the Bronx and he was a lifelong Giants fan and season ticket holder. My older brother liked the Cowboys and so I guess I saw a lot of the old NFC East — I liked the Cardinals’ uniforms and have been a fan all my life. They moved, I moved, first to Florida, and now just happen to live in St. Louis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved watching the Detroit Lions but it was only because of Barry Sanders.

Also, even in the Phoenix market, the Lions were on TV far more than the Cardinals were.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
In the mid to late 80s (age 8-12ish) I was a HUGE Broncos fan. My room was adorned with pictures of Elway and Mecklenburg, I had the broncos trash can as well as a giant orange bed comforter. Although I wasn’t as big of a fan in the 90s I was still super happy when they finally won their two Super Bowls. I couldn’t care less about the Broncos now though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I liked the Cowboys first too.

I moved to Arizona in the early 90s and didn't really know much about football. The Cowboys were the great team at the time so I thought they were cool, but I didn't really pay much attention until Buddy's last season.

Season finale Cardinals-Cowboys. I was just starting to like living in Arizona and I realized that I was pulling for a team from another state.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
I grew up a fan of ASU football and Frank Kush. Didn't pay much attention to pro ball much except that I hated the Cowboys because everyone else was a Cowboys fan and that's all we would get on TV. I rooted mildly for the Vikings just because I had a Fran Tarkenton card I thought was cool.

I did have a paper route in elementary school and JD Hill was on my route.

When the Suns came to town, I jumped on. Then a family member began working in the front office and so I followed even more closely. Family member still is a direct report to Michael. And no, I never get insider info.